UCONN - NC State post mortem thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCONN - NC State post mortem thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
What a humbling game. The scary part is that this team, more than most teams in the nation, should be ready to start the season. Not only did they have the whole summer together (most teams did), but they also went to Europe and had a chance to bond and play 4-ish games.

I get that we have a lot of new pieces, and I suppose the silver lining is that Paige looked great, Q is going to be really good, Edwards had moments (but lost focus for a long stretch), but lordy, we were outplayed in every possible way after Q1. Not a good sign...

By the way kudos to NC State for taking it to us. Great game by them! And Saniya Rivers - wow. Has she developed nicely!

Reaction Score
While I am not ready to terminate the season based on one game I do feel that Geno is going to have to make a few changes in his game planning. Why play your younger players in early exhibition games, praise them, tell us how far ahead of the curve they are, and then set them while the older, slower players who have already shown they have problems with athletic teams, play the majority of the minutes. Like the old credo in baseball goes, if you're going to lose, lose with younger players who at least have a chance of getting better.

Reaction Score
The players really have taken a beating here. One team on the floor today was prepared to play , one was not. You maybe should lay off the players a bit. Regarding UConn's lack of size: it is what it is. The coaches need to get on with coaching the team they have, which is actually pretty talented, and they and the fans should shut up about the lack of size. You do understand that lack of size didn't lose that game today, don't you?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn scored 33 field goals to NCST’s 31 field goals. Yes, NCST scored one more 3 point shot; but UConn still outscored them by three points from the field. And yes, I agree with many here that NCST did out-hustle UConn to a degree, and they definitely out-rebounded them. But (and yes, this may sound like sour grapes) I disagree that NCST deserved a fourteen point advantage in points from the foul line.

Reaction Score
What a humbling game. The scary part is that this team, more than most teams in the nation, should be ready to start the season. Not only did they have the whole summer together (most teams did), but they also went to Europe and had a chance to bond and play 4-ish games.

I get that we have a lot of new pieces, and I suppose the silver lining is that Paige looked great, Q is going to be really good, Edwards had moments (but lost focus for a long stretch), but lordy, we were outplayed in every possible way after Q1. Not a good sign...

By the way kudos to NC State for taking it to us. Great game by them! And Saniya Rivers - wow. Has she developed nicely!
Rivers was the best player on the floor today. Despite a fine game by Paige. But we are not going to win with Paige and Edwards doing it all. We aren't going to win if Ice Brady is not a force. Not to mention Azzi Fudd and Caroline. And Aubrey regressed as well. But NC State had a lot more than Rivers. They had bigs to rebound and shooters to shoot and defenders to defend. A nice contribution by Qadence, but I am disappointed Geno has no confidence in Shade. I think it because he says she is a great player ( does everything well ) but has no clear role. Give her one. She has no role because she played center ( at 5'11" in HS) and still dominated). But the coaches need her on the floor. And if they just use her when we lead Folksote State by 40, she will be wasted. My worry; Geno has already type-casted her. And his role for her is to do nothing. This was a cold shower. I guess we have to remember; our season begins in March.

Reaction Score
I had no illusions that this team would go undefeated, so an early season loss to a (soon-to-be-ranked) NC State team is not the end of the world and I could care less about the rankings in the month of November.

The stat that sticks out the most to me is the rebounding. We got CRUSHED on the boards. AE is not (IMO) a rebounding force, she gets her share but her offense and defense in the post are what she's good at. If she is our only reliable post player, we are in trouble. I think NC State's guards got way too many rebounds - both O & D rebounds. I think we need to work on our team rebounding - send all 5 players to the D boards... Not sure why Ice only got 7 minutes (she only got 10 vs Dayton) I thought her knee was 100%? Geno is too stubborn to put DiBarry in because she doesn't practice well (from what I've read) so our post presence is going to be really thin unless A Patterson can get healthy.

Sometimes, getting your hat handed to you early on is a wake-up call. It certainly isn't a call to panic.

Reaction Score
Officiating was not even close to being the reason they lost, even if I may agree it was sub-par.
Here we go again, blaming the officiating. The reason we had more fouls on us is simple...................they were much better down low. Pound it low, you'll draw fouls. Rely on outside shooting (we did), fewer trips to the line.

Stop whining about the refs. They beat us, fair and square.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I know times have changed but the thing I always associated with UConn's offense back in the old BE was a constant motion always moving toward generating an (often open) good shot; on the defensive side I always felt UConn excelled in cutting into the passing lanes and coming up with the steal.

In this game (and more-so than most UConn games I see) the offense didn't seem to be moving and the defense sort of the same, I guess. I was very surprised - I am sure Geno will right the ship pretty quick, though.

Reaction Score
We learned a lot today:
1. Anyone who thought UConn would go undefeated was wrong.
2. If this team can't beat NCState, they certainly cannot beat SC, which is even bigger
3. Saniya Rivers is a wonderful player
4. UConn has rebounding problems, and the front court weakness that so many have discussed on the BY is very real.
5. Not that anyone questioned it, but Wes Moore sure does know how to coach.
6. NC State should bottle and sell the stuff they used to completely befuddle UConn's defense. I don't think I have seen a UConn team schooled like this in years.
7. When Fudd has shooting problems, the team has shooting problems.
8. Brady is still a freshman, ands often plays like it. Arnold did not look out of place, and where would UConn have been without Samuels?
9. Edwards was not the consistent presence we've come to expect. In the middle of the game, she simply lost all focus,. kind of like when she was a sophomore. Sure hope that is not a trend.
I beg to differ on nearly every point, except Rivers is a terrific player. Great NC game plan well executed.
If you LEARNED something NEW--you weren't looking. The only thing NEW were the NEW kids on UConn. We knew last year with out Dorka and Lou this was a ---marginal team. Expecting Edwards to handle the post alone ---is not being in the real world.
Paige--cannot and should not have to CARRY this team--she has proven, she shall try, but with a decent team (Arizona) she cannot do it--alone. Azzi, is a streak shooter. When she is hitting she can't miss. With a good team defense--Takes Azzi or Paige out and you are home free. NOW--if Caroline's head is in the game--WE WIN. KK is going to be a life saver--but not today. The Bigs who should be winning games SIT--they did last year too.
Geno needs more Q's. Throw caution to the wind--just play the game you know. Good player PLAY to win.
The whys and wherefores belong with GENO and his Practice and Scouting coaches. I saw no GAME PREP. NC did what hey want more often than not---Uconn for 30 years has been noted for DEFENSE---where was it--YOU KNOW who is responsible for TEACHING this team---Pre game PREP at this level is mandatory.

CEO's run SMALL companies--and get $3,000,000 per year--the buck stops with them --not the floor sweepers. Ca

The starting lineup above--meets with my approval--shall Geno approve?
Every ill of this team would be fix with a STOKES kind of player--playing along side of Edwards.
Not one kid on this team OWNS this loss. It belongs to the Coaches, the leaders, then the team. My dad would be fired as a lead carpenter -had he said --my crew built a different house than I told them. Uconn's house is the GAME.

Reaction Score
I know times have changed but the thing I always associated with UConn's offense back in the old BE was a constant motion always moving toward generating an (often open) good shot; on the defensive side I always felt UConn excelled in cutting into the passing lanes and coming up with the steal.

In this game (and more-so than most UConn games I see) the offense didn't seem to be moving and the defense sort of the same, I guess. I was very surprised - I am sure Geno will right the ship pretty quick, though.
A lot of new kids, not prime time ready, even the Sophs are not really ready. KK--and Q are learning and producing. KK is a great passer. Q had no hold back in her. Love that lady.

Reaction Score
We got dominated down the stretch. Refs seemed to swallow their whistles a bunch but that’s not why we lost. For some strange reason, I end up happy for teams and fan bases when they win their Super Bowl - even if it’s vs us.
Early whistles hurt Paige and Edwards--especially NEEDED Edwards. You are right--that's not totally why the loss.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a few late night thoughts:

Many of us are overreacting to several things, both positive and negative.

Dee Kantner is a terrible ref. I wish she would never officiate any game of ours or any important game period.

I was aghast at the score predictions, many of which had MOVs of 20-45 or so. I was concerned, but didn't expect such a poor performance.

We had a decent Q1, but sloppiness kept the lead from being 15+. Then we lost the momentum and never got it back. Too much like the OSU game.

Several players played poorly, which reminded me of the OSU game. We lacked confidence and grit.

I thought Azzi's defense was ok and not appreciably worse than that of anyone else. The exception was that she couldn't stop Rivers, but there may not be many players in the country who can.

Saniya has gone from highly touted to a miserable shooter to a talented and athletic player. She did shoot some airballs from the arc, but she is excellent in the midrange and getting to the basket.

Our defense was terrible. I saw signs of that in both the SCSU and Dayton games. Too many players were open and made several jump shots, including 3-pointers. I wasn't expecting NCSU to shoot 53%. That is stunning. We are supposed to be a good shooting team, but the relative no-names from NCSU outperformed us.

This does not look like a championship team. I think we are a top-10 team, but we have too many weaknesses, especially in terms of rebounding and defense. South Carolina decidedly passes the eye test. We do not, sadly. Let's see how we rebound--literally and figuratively--against Maryland at home.

Reaction Score
I, as you all. was very disappointed in our girls performance today!
But unlike most of you, I'm not willing to slit my wrists and bury UCONN just quite yet!
I'm channeling my best Tonyc here, stick with me here, but I truly feel this was a one time happening, and we'll never see this again!
Too many things went haywire for this usually talented level-headed team to go off in such a bizarre manner!
Except for Paige and Quadence and partly Aaliyah, usually dependable players were so off their game than we really haven't seen!
One thing for sure, tomorrow and for the rest of the season the whole team will believe Geno and the staff when they tell them what they're doing wrong!
Please hold your shovels of dirt for the next several games and let's see if our girls get pi--ed enough to play their normal style of basketball!
It's a very long season and if you watched the recent Dr. Pepper commercial where the fans go crazy trashing the room and burning their memorabilia, and the state trooper says that "that was just the first play of the game!" And they say "maybe we over-reacted!"
Bet the ranch, Coach Wes Moore was as surprised and shocked as we were as the game unfolded!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I am not ready to terminate the season based on one game I do feel that Geno is going to have to make a few changes in his game planning. Why play your younger players in early exhibition games, praise them, tell us how far ahead of the curve they are, and then set them while the older, slower players who have already shown they have problems with athletic teams, play the majority of the minutes. Like the old credo in baseball goes, if you're going to lose, lose with younger players who at least have a chance of getting better.
I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer