UCONN - NC State post mortem thread | The Boneyard

UCONN - NC State post mortem thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a humbling game. The scary part is that this team, more than most teams in the nation, should be ready to start the season. Not only did they have the whole summer together (most teams did), but they also went to Europe and had a chance to bond and play 4-ish games.

I get that we have a lot of new pieces, and I suppose the silver lining is that Paige looked great, Q is going to be really good, Edwards had moments (but lost focus for a long stretch), but lordy, we were outplayed in every possible way after Q1. Not a good sign...

By the way kudos to NC State for taking it to us. Great game by them! And Saniya Rivers - wow. Has she developed nicely!

Reaction Score
We learned a lot today:
1. Anyone who thought UConn would go undefeated was wrong.
2. If this team can't beat NCState, they certainly cannot beat SC, which is even bigger
3. Saniya Rivers is a wonderful player
4. UConn has rebounding problems, and the front court weakness that so many have discussed on the BY is very real.
5. Not that anyone questioned it, but Wes Moore sure does know how to coach.
6. NC State should bottle and sell the stuff they used to completely befuddle UConn's defense. I don't think I have seen a UConn team schooled like this in years.
7. When Fudd has shooting problems, the team has shooting problems.
8. Brady is still a freshman, ands often plays like it. Arnold did not look out of place, and where would UConn have been without Samuels?
9. Edwards was not the consistent presence we've come to expect. In the middle of the game, she simply lost all focus,. kind of like when she was a sophomore. Sure hope that is not a trend.

Reaction Score
If no one else will say, I will.

The people who were worried when we didn’t get another Post out of the portal and the people who were worried that Paige & Nika playing together would be counterproductive are completely justified. After just the second game.

Reaction Score
There were only two good things about this game in my mind. Paige looking like vintage Paige and QS looking very confident for a freshman. Really liked her game.

Outside of that NC ST outplayed across the board and dominated us on the boards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1699826888851.png

Reaction Score
What an absolutely embarrassing game today.

We were outrebounded and out hustled. We let Rivers absolutely dominate us. Our offense was stagnant and our defense was non-existent. This looked like one of our games from last year — except this year there’s no excuse of injuries or exhaustion.

Thank goodness Paige was playing or the score would be even worse.

I don’t know what Geno, the coaches, and these players need to do to get it together, but they better get on it or it’s going to be a long season.

I know I probably sound extremely negative but I expected so much more from this team and this game was straight up BAD.

And I know it’s November and all that — still didn’t like what I saw. At all. A LOT of room for improvement ASAP.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This looks like the same team that lost in the Sweet 16. And that team lost it's two best players, only replacing one. Unless some of the rooks grow up in a hurry or Paige decides to take 30 shots a game, another Sweet 16 looks to be the ceiling.

Reaction Score
This could easily have been a 15 point game. There was no comeback but at least they didn't fall apart at the end.

Before we fall to pieces. Multiple choice question: would you rather have your worst one of the year early, on the road out of conference, or in March. Or in a tournament game.

LOTS of talent on this team. It didn't (and won't) go away.

Reaction Score
Not a fun day for anyone in our group....Bueckers was off the charts, the rest of the team was so so. We were out rebounded 28 to 18, and for a UConn defense to give up 92 points is very unusual.Head bang

Reaction Score
NC State sure looked like the better team today. Quicker, taller, able to shoot. The zone by UConn left NC State players open and, unlike UConn who didn't shoot well, they made a lot of their shots. Disappointing game for sure.

Reaction Score
The good: Paige looked fearless driving and taking/initiating contact! Also Qadence showed she’s confident and competent! Also, UConn only committed 12 turnovers. I’ll take 12 over 25 any day—even in a loss.

The Bad: Yeah UConn lost. Life moves on. Still, the rebounding and defensive efforts were lacking. NC State was +12 overall on the boards. Gotta box out and SPRINT to the ball every time against bigger/more athletic teams.

The Ugly: 22 fouls that led to 28 NC State free throws and put players in foul trouble.

Thankfully it’s only November! Plenty of time to grow.

Reaction Score
Paige remains our only killer. Love what Q brings, her defense needs work but that will get worked out with more playing time. I hope she starts the next game.
Also this is my post from the LSU-Colorado thread…this is why I believe in karma
IMG_0552.jpeg

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
We got dominated down the stretch. Refs seemed to swallow their whistles a bunch but that’s not why we lost. For some strange reason, I end up happy for teams and fan bases when they win their Super Bowl - even if it’s vs us.

Reaction Score
Give NC State credit but many curious substitution and defensive choices by Geno. Not sure why Fudd, an adequate defender at best, would be on State's top offensive option for most of game, why Muhl, who was abused by State's quick/strong guards, stayed on them with KK on bench, etc. Unfortunately, many good lessons learned by team and coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom