UConn @ NBA Summer Leagues | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn @ NBA Summer Leagues

Reaction Score
His money maker is definitely going to be defensively to start off.

3 simple things can get him a lot of playing time. Block shots, rebound, run rim to rim.
Correct. I think the Blazers and any other team that was considering drafting him have this in mind while they will work with him on his offense.

It's similar to when Thabeet was a freshman at UConn and Calhoun publicly called him out for only have 2 rebounds in the game and not playing great defense. Calhoun said something to the effect of "I told him when we recruited him, I want hustle, rebounding, and defense. We will work with you on the offense. Being 7'3 and getting only 2 rebounds is not acceptable."

Reaction Score
Personally not worried about DC. Thought he was significantly better today as he’s getting more comfortable-summer league O is so painful and that impacts a guy who can’t go get his own, but he had some flashes and also made several really high level passes that showed his BBIQ/ability to play in an actual system.

Defensively he was everything we know him to be. The ESPN box score is crediting him with 3 blocks but he completely locked philly out of the paint. Affected so many drives and shots just with great help D and positioning. He also had arguably the largest role in the win, scored a basket to get them within 1, blocked and recovered a shot on the other end to get the ball back and set the screen that led to foul shots for his guy to put them ahead. Then caused a 5 second call on the other end to give Portland the ball back.

Billups was also interviewed during the game and had not only high praise for Donovan, but confirmed he knows exactly what he’s getting. Highly coachable kid with immense defensive potential who needs some polishing on O. Let’s see if he can deliver on that development.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
DC shooting 3-9 after going 1-8. Not very good to see as a 7’2 guy.

It’s Clingan setting screens and watching 4 guys running around. Clingan went from UConn’s offense to that stuff. The guards don't to get him the ball unless they’re caught in no man’s land

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Correct. I think the Blazers and any other team that was considering drafting him have this in mind while they will work with him on his offense.

It's similar to when Thabeet was a freshman at UConn and Calhoun publicly called him out for only have 2 rebounds in the game and not playing great defense. Calhoun said something to the effect of "I told him when we recruited him, I want hustle, rebounding, and defense. We will work with you on the offense. Being 7'3 and getting only 2 rebounds is not acceptable."
If you’re a good rebounder at 7’3 you can get about 10 points off putbacks alone. The game is so easy and simple. Thabeet wishes he had Donovan’s strengths and especially his hands.

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about DCs offense is out of their minds. Hes going to get his and hes going to get better and better. He`ll average 15+ regularly and wouldnt be surprised if he puts up 20 ppg at some point. His defense, rebounding and passing are going ot be top tier for a big man. Hes a terrific passer. High Iq.

caw

Reaction Score
Anyone complaining about DCs offense is out of their minds. Hes going to get his and hes going to get better and better. He`ll average 15+ regularly and wouldnt be surprised if he puts up 20 ppg at some point. His defense, rebounding and passing are going ot be top tier for a big man. Hes a terrific passer. High Iq.

The main problem he has right now is that he still goes up kind of weak at times.

awy

Reaction Score
this just shows how good UConn's offense is. even the USA basketball team could use a big serving of hurley

Reaction Score
Despite a poor shooting game, DC bounced back big time and showed why he was picked so highly. He owned the paint when he was out there. The only guy willing to try him was Jared McCain. It worked a few times, but Clingan also won his team the game by blocking McCain’s would-be dagger and forcing the game winning turnover on him

Amazing passing as well. His scoring package isn’t there yet, but he’s 20 years old. Real NBA guards will also get him the ball in spots that are better for him as they build chemistry

Don’t let the 4-11 fool you, that was a solid game.

Reaction Score
Another big day today:
Newton at 4
Tyrese at 4:30
Adama at 6:30
Clingan at 8:30
Andre at 10
Hawkins at 10:30

Reaction Score
No idea what happened there lol. I think honestly in my head I was going "7'2 center" and then my fingers auto-filled in the same number from before and just wrote years old lol.

Reaction Score
Hurley's NBA player coach rep is growing stronger year by year!

1721133584847.jpeg

Reaction Score
Despite a poor shooting game, DC bounced back big time and showed why he was picked so highly. He owned the paint when he was out there. The only guy willing to try him was Jared McCain. It worked a few times, but Clingan also won his team the game by blocking McCain’s would-be dagger and forcing the game winning turnover on him

Amazing passing as well. His scoring package isn’t there yet, but he’s 20 years old. Real NBA guards will also get him the ball in spots that are better for him as they build chemistry

Don’t let the 4-11 fool you, that was a solid game.
If Clingan can develop a 3 pt shot to the point his defender can't ignore him on D, that'll open up the floor for him to feed his teammates the ball. But even without the 3 pt shot, he still has enough game to be a solid contributor and lock down the paint.

Reaction Score
Clingan has been very good defensively. His block on Jared McCain in the last minute was impressive because he played off him in drop coverage and baited him into the shot. As it happened, I thought he was too far off and was screwing up giving a good shooter that much space, but he covered a lot of ground quickly.

He is going to be a work in progress offensively. He’s just not very fluid. That was true at UConn too. He can look pretty awkward at times if he can’t just keep it simple. He also finishes too low when he absorbs contact and becomes easily blockable (happened twice). What he was really good at was finishing plays on the roll downhill when our guards found him … and these summer league guards are awful at it. Every lob try is deflected because they don’t know how to disguise it. I laughed at the first possession of the fourth quarter they designed a play for Clingan to get the ball on the low block and it worked perfectly. He came off a screen wide open. The Portland guard stared at him flashing with no defender on him, missed the window where it could have been a dunk, and then literally tried to throw a bounce pass through his own defender’s legs. Kick ball. Side out. Opportunity lost. And this was clearly a designed play that the guard should have been ready for - not a spontaneous read.

Watching summer league and some full game highlights from the tourney really made me appreciate how good Newton was for us. He was spot on throwing lobs or finding cutters nine times out of ten.

Reaction Score
Watching Cam with this Memphis team is mildly frustrating because he sets way more screens than he gets. I didn’t see him get a single play run/screen set for him (although I was flipping between him and Clingan), until ironically it looked like they were trying to set him one on the play he was hurt. He stands there waiting for kick outs mostly - and Pippen and Jackson don’t kick it out. Pippen gets some assists in transition, but in the halfcourt he drives to score. Jackson plays like he is there just to get up 20 shots a night. But he called Spencer a ******* dog in an interview, so I guess we’ll let it slide.

Reaction Score
No idea what happened there lol. I think honestly in my head I was going "7'2 center" and then my fingers auto-filled in the same number from before and just wrote years old lol.
It's weird how the NBA is actually listing younger players by their actual height now. It was always a given players were at least an inch shorter than their listed heights and often times a rounded up or full 2 inches shorter. It's going to be funny when the young players are going against the veterans in the league and their listed heights and actual heights will make no sense.

In the past Clingan would be 7'3, Edey would be 7'5, and Wemby would be 7'6. I wonder why the league decided to make a change? Some guys like Tristen Newton they actually made a little shorter than his actual height.

Reaction Score
Clingan has been very good defensively. His block on Jared McCain in the last minute was impressive because he played off him in drop coverage and baited him into the shot. As it happened, I thought he was too far off and was screwing up giving a good shooter that much space, but he covered a lot of ground quickly.

He is going to be a work in progress offensively. He’s just not very fluid. That was true at UConn too. He can look pretty awkward at times if he can’t just keep it simple. He also finishes too low when he absorbs contact and becomes easily blockable (happened twice). What he was really good at was finishing plays on the roll downhill when our guards found him … and these summer league guards are awful at it. Every lob try is deflected because they don’t know how to disguise it. I laughed at the first possession of the fourth quarter they designed a play for Clingan to get the ball on the low block and it worked perfectly. He came off a screen wide open. The Portland guard stared at him flashing with no defender on him, missed the window where it could have been a dunk, and then literally tried to throw a bounce pass through his own defender’s legs. Kick ball. Side out. Opportunity lost. And this was clearly a designed play that the guard should have been ready for - not a spontaneous read.

Watching summer league and some full game highlights from the tourney really made me appreciate how good Newton was for us. He was spot on throwing lobs or finding cutters nine times out of ten.
Impressive he got to that to make the block.

IMG_20240716_081052.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom