UConn @ NBA Summer Leagues | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn @ NBA Summer Leagues

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I don’t think Hawkins’ game is suited for summer league games. It’s a glorified pickup and Hawkins excels in offensive sets that are designed to get him running around the court and coming off screens

If I remember right, he was put on the ball last year and struggled badly because he had to create his own shot all the time

Hope there’s more of an offensive gameplan this year that plays to his strengths

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I don’t think Hawkins’ game is suited for summer league games. It’s a glorified pickup and Hawkins excels in offensive sets that are designed to get him running around the court and coming off screens

If I remember right, he was put on the ball last year and struggled badly because he had to create his own shot all the time

Hope there’s more of an offensive gameplan this year that plays to his strengths
Sounds like he should develop some on ball playmaking.

Jeremy Lamb used to be a primarily off ball guy his freshman year.

Jaylen Brown had terrible handle too coming in.

We can’t use our offense as a reason why guys can’t succeed elsewhere. They should be prepared to excel no matter the environment.

Reaction Score
After the summer league in California's capital concluded, Castle sat down with CBS Sports to answer questions about his Summer League debut, his fit next Victor Wembanyama, winning a national title at UConn and expectations ahead of the 2024-25 NBA season.

Salerno: I know a three-peat is on the table for UConn. What do you think of their chances to win another title in 2025?
Castle: Being there for a year and kinda seeing how everything is ran, just seeing the roster that they have and how deep the roster is, I think they're going to be the team to beat again this year. They're probably the favorites to three-peat especially behind coaches like coach Hurley, coach Kimani [Young] and coach Luke [Murray], all those guys there, they have done it before. They know what it looks like. They know how to coach those guys, so they should be right in the position to three-peat.

Reaction Score

Nah Hawk is going to dominate this summer league.

Reaction Score
BTW.. Isn't it cool to see a wave of UConn players performing so well -Knocking on the door- In the NBA and showing the League why the UConn Program is so special over the last few years??It's happened before but I'm enjoying us returning to prominence again in the League for our quality/player development and BBIQ..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vegas SL starts today.

UConn guys and their teams

DateTeamsTimeTV ChannelPlayer
Friday, July 12Brooklyn Nets vs. Indiana Pacers8 p.m.NBA TVTyrese Martin, Tristen Newton
Friday, July 12New Orleans Pelicans vs. Minnesota Timberwolves5 p.m.ESPN 2Jordan Hawkins
Friday, July 12Sacramento Kings vs. Memphis Grizzlies6 p.m.NBA TVCam Spencer
Saturday, July 13Milwaukee Bucks vs. Chicago Bulls4:30 p.m.NBA TVAdama Sanogo, Andre Jackson
Saturday, July 13San Antonio Spurs vs. Portland Trail Blazers9 p.m.ESPN 2Donovan Clingan, Stephon Castle
Saturday, July 13Utah Jazz vs. Dallas Mavericks10:30 p.m.NBA TVIsaiah Whaley
Sunday, July 14Brooklyn Nets vs. Los Angeles Clippers4 p.m.TBDTyrese Martin
Sunday, July 14Indiana Pacers vs. Minnesota Timberwolves5:30 p.m.NBA TVTristen Newton
Sunday, July 14Orlando Magic vs. New Orleans Pelicans7:30 p.m.NBA TVJordan Hawkins
Sunday, July 14Chicago Bulls vs. Golden State Warriors10 p.m.ESPN 2Adama Sanogo
Monday, July 15Dallas Mavericks vs. Memphis Grizzlies8 p.m.ESPN UIsaiah Whaley, Cam Spencer
Monday, July 15Portland Trail Blazers vs. Philadelphia 76ers8:30 p.m.NBA TVDonovan Clingan
Tuesday, July 16Indiana Pacers vs. Phoenix Suns4 p.m.ESPN UTristen Newton
Tuesday, July 16Chicago Bulls vs. Detroit Pistons6:30 p.m.NBA TVAdama Sanogo
Tuesday, July 16New Orleans Pelicans vs. San Antonio Spurs10:30 p.m.NBA TVJordan Hawkins, Stephon Castle
Wednesday, July 17Memphis Grizzlies vs. Orlando Magic7 p.m.TBDCam Spencer
Thursday, July 18Indiana Pacers vs. Denver Nuggets4:30 p.m.ESPN 2Tristen Newton
Thursday, July 18Memphis Grizzlies vs. New Orleans Pelicans6 p.m.NBA TVCam Spencer, Jordan Hawkins
Thursday, July 18Orlando Magic vs. Brooklyn Nets8 p.m.NBA TVTyrese Martin
Friday, July 19Milwaukee Bucks vs. Phoenix Suns4 p.m.NBA TVAndre Jackson
Friday, July 19Dallas Mavericks vs. Boston Celtics4:30 p.m.ESPN UIsaiah Whaley
Friday, July 19Atlanta Hawks vs. Chicago Bulls6 p.m.NBA TVAdama Sanogo

Reaction Score
I know I shouldn’t be but I’m a little surprised Bouknight didn’t get a summer gig with one of the teams.
The NBA sees him as a problem AND not very good, so there isn't much value in trying him out.

He also made $13 mil (before taxes, fees, and commissions). He might not be interested in scrapping in summer/g leagues.

Reaction Score
The NBA sees him as a problem AND not very good, so there isn't much value in trying him out.

He also made $13 mil (before taxes, fees, and commissions). He might not be interested in scrapping in summer/g leagues.
Well if he wants to get back to the NBA he better be willing to do that.

Reaction Score
Well if he wants to get back to the NBA he better be willing to do that.
He's probably done right? Given the influx of new guys I'd think the only path back is play in Europe, show commitment, maturity and dominance and get back over a number of years that way. Mingling him with younger players likely off the table.

Reaction Score
He's probably done right? Given the influx of new guys I'd think the only path back is play in Europe, show commitment, maturity and dominance and get back over a number of years that way. Mingling him with younger players likely off the table.

I would be surprised if he wanted to play in the Summer League and had no opportunities. He is 23, played in the NBA this year and a lot of the SL is dreck. Maybe he is hurt, no clue. I do think he can earn his way back either domestically or internationally but he needs to get his **** together

Reaction Score
It's Hawkins vs Terrence Shannon Jr right now. 8 points each late in the 1st quarter

Minnesota definitely knows Hawkins is a shooter. Summer League games typically don't have a lot of strategy or scouting, but they're trying HARD to keep him away from the three point line

Reaction Score
Pelicans VP of Basketball Ops pretty much just said that they know Hawkins can score but they're primarily looking for him to be a defender in summer league

Reaction Score
The good:
  • Hawkins is leading the Pelicans at halftime with scoring and in BPM. 11 points and a +7 in a game where his team is down 5. 4 rebounds as well
  • Defense is pretty good, he's not boxing out but it's summer league and nobody is
The bad:
  • He started off hot but then went pretty cold. Was 3-6 shooting but then missed his last 4 shots and is 3-10 at half
  • They have him on ball again. He looks better than last year but still shaky
Terrence Shannon Jr has 12 points to lead the game but Hawkins right behind him at 11

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom