UCONN NATION - Take the emotion out of this for a moment | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN NATION - Take the emotion out of this for a moment

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If the game today didn't bring out any emotion from you, I'd question whether or not you're a UConn fan. I'm not trying to be mean. But they played as exciting ball game tonight...

Whats it like settling for less?

zls44

Reaction Score
Settling for less of what?

Lemme clarify this for you, champ- what's it like watching a program with 4 national championships have a coach who is 0-4 at Tulsa with the latest loss dropping them to 7-7 a year after going 16-17 but thinking its ok because Hey, The Kids Played Hard.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Lemme clarify this for you, champ- what's it like watching a program with 4 national championships have a coach who is 0-4 at Tulsa with the latest loss dropping them to 7-7 a year after going 16-17 but thinking its ok because Hey, The Kids Played Hard.

What's it like, sport? As I've already said, it makes me sick to my stomach hours after the loss.

The fact that you feel nothing probably means that you settle for less. See you at the games, sport...

zls44

Reaction Score
The fact that you feel nothing probably means that you settle for less.

I feel nothing because four years of almost constant mediocrity has had that effect on me. Maybe you're a sadist. Or maybe you're just lying to yourself.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I feel nothing because four years of almost constant mediocrity has had that effect on me. Maybe you're a sadist. Or maybe you're just lying to yourself.

Or maybe you're just a crappy fair weather fan who only cares when the team is winning...

zls44

Reaction Score
The last time?

Well it was either Jalen with his big overtime bucket or Vital with his big 3 in overtime or it was the Kwintin dunk. All during tonight's game; all hyped up.

I saw all three of those and none of those were bigtime shows of emotion, not nearly the level Tulsa showed throughout the game. They are going through the motions, trapped in purgatory.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I saw all three of those and none of those were bigtime shows of emotion, not nearly the level Tulsa showed throughout the game. They are going through the motions, trapped in purgatory.

They didn't emote enough for you? Not enough emotion for the guy who said he felt no emotion today?? Awww...

Reactions: pj

zls44

Reaction Score
They didn't emote enough for you? Not enough emotion for the guy who said he felt no emotion today?? Awww...

Yeah, I don't like that the team looks like they're just going through the motions and as a result, the fanbase continues to feel ambivalent.

How many in-game Big Red moments have there been the last two seasons? There was one in the WSU game, that was a nice start.

Reaction Score
Folks are just making the best out of a tough deal man......We are resetting and desperately looking for some light.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't like that the team looks like they're just going through the motions and as a result, the fanbase continues to feel ambivalent.

How many in-game Big Red moments have there been the last two seasons? There was one in the WSU game, that was a nice start.

If you think they went through the motions against Wichita or Tulsa, then you weren't watching the game.

We lost. It sucks. It really sucks. Or at least it sucks for those of us that still give a damn. But don't say they're going through the motions when they're clearly busting their a $$es out there...

Reaction Score
How many times has Cincy made it to a Sweet 16? Wichita has what, one F4 berth in program history? How many guys does each program have in the league, much less guys who weren't NDFAs?

This board would be furious if we were Cincy or Wichita.
Exactly! Temple, Houston, Tulsa are all better teams! Mick Cronin is able to recruit and the Northeast is a Mecca for college basketball recruits. Tired of excuses! Ollie would be getting his clocked cleaned nightly in the Big East.

Reaction Score
If you think they went through the motions against Wichita or Tulsa, then you weren't watching the game.

We lost. It sucks. It really sucks. Or at least it sucks for those of us that still give a damn. But don't say they're going through the motions when they're clearly busting their a $$es out there...
It's all perspective. They are playing with much more intensity than in the early part of the season. They have emotion and get hyped. But it's like kindergarteners playing soccer - lots of energy but no discipline made even worse by a lack of skills. I think KO's entire strategy boils down to "ok, this time guys we really got to play even harder and make more shots" . You can see what you want in any game, because there is no real consistency or team identity.

Reaction Score
This is a solid football and basketball conference. Horrendous is not the right word.
Agreed - that's why I said "so called". Blaming the conference is the easy go to answer for our problems when it isn't remotely the bulk of our problems.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
If there's one think Kevin Ollie has done better than anything else, its taking any sort of emotional attachment away from the fans towards the program. I'd have had trouble sleeping after a loss like this 5 years ago. Now I just don't care.

I hate to admit it but for me, this is true.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hate to admit it but for me, this is true.

Sad but true. I'm still invested in the game, but my expectations are so low that I can't bother to be angry or upset. I thought we'd lose. They actually exceeded my expectations yesterday, however frustrating it was the way they blew that game.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The hard part about last night's game was that the players weren't prepared to close out the game. When their coach should have been coaching them through the final sequences, he was a spectator. A good effort wasted, IMO.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's all perspective. They are playing with much more intensity than in the early part of the season. They have emotion and get hyped. But it's like kindergarteners playing soccer - lots of energy but no discipline made even worse by a lack of skills. I think KO's entire strategy boils down to "ok, this time guys we really got to play even harder and make more shots" . You can see what you want in any game, because there is no real consistency or team identity.

If you don't think they were more disciplined last night than in previous nights, then I would say your perspective is purposely tainted. They were making the extra passes in the lane that led to layups and dunks. They were getting in front of the screeners instead of behind and rotated better (Tulsa still made a bazillion threes), they took less shots early in the clock, and they got good work at the 5 from two players that are really 4s (Diarra, Whaley) due to foul trouble from Carlton. And we held their best player, the third highest scorer in the league, to half his season average.

Whatever. This fan base had lost its collective minds...

Reaction Score
That's ironic, because I feel sick to my stomach still. They played a good game tonight, and there was improvement by a lot of players. And after going down 9 points while Tulsa hit a bazillion threes, we fought back and played with heart and intensity.

If the game today didn't bring out any emotion from you, I'd question whether or not you're a UConn fan. I'm not trying to be mean. But they played as exciting ball game tonight...
Unfortunately fans now expect to lose instead of having a chance. If we felt there was an some good coaching going on and players developing than at least we feel that there is a chance. Right now that isn't going on and the product on the court is an embarrassment to UCONN basketball.

Reaction Score
The hard part about last night's game was that the players weren't prepared to close out the game. When their coach should have been coaching them through the final sequences, he was a spectator. A good effort wasted, IMO.
That sounds like KO's "MO". During the Auburn game he was sitting down in his seat 90% of the time and with a sullen look. Old man Bruce Pearl was up 90% of the game coaching like a young guy until the end. Bruce was also working the refs which is foreign to KO.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Unfortunately fans now expect to lose instead of having a chance. If we felt there was an some good coaching going on and players developing than at least we feel that there is a chance. Right now that isn't going on and the product on the court is an embarrassment to UCONN basketball.

The only embarrassment to UConn is when season ticket holders decide to stay home in droves because we are only 7-7, practically ensuring that we will not make any noise with future recruits and further solidifying our suffering, as evidenced by turnouts of 6k or less.

Big time players love to play in front of 1/3 full arenas. Sometimes, folks create the reality they wish to avoid...

Reaction Score
If you don't think they were more disciplined last night than in previous nights, then I would say your perspective is purposely tainted. They were making the extra passes in the lane that led to layups and dunks. They were getting in front of the screeners instead of behind and rotated better (Tulsa still made a bazillion threes), they took less shots early in the clock, and they got good work at the 5 from two players that are really 4s (Diarra, Whaley) due to foul trouble from Carlton. And we held their best player, the third highest scorer in the league, to half his season average.

Whatever. This fan base had lost its collective minds...

They've lost their collective minds well before this one but this one is living proof on the amount of idiots in which the agenda is more important than basketball itself. None of them talking about the 13 rebounds Adams had with 9 assists, the 5-9 from 3 for Larrier with 8 boards and 4 assists the best he's filled a stat sheet all year, how hard Vital played, how Whaley showed some promise for the future while he and Diarra had a couple great blocks down the stretch. All meaningless, it's the agenda now basketball is over for them. Hell people can't wait until "they lose to ECU" - it's reality here. Tough to even look at all these threads and remember any of the good days with the basketball fans we once were proud to share it with.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They've lost their collective minds well before this one but this one is living proof go the amount of idiots in which the agenda is more important than basketball. None of them talking about the 13 rebounds Adams had with 9 assists, the 5-9 from 3 for Larrier with 8 boards and 4 assists the best he's filled a stat sheet all year, how hard Vital played, how Whaley showed some promise for the future while he and Diarra had a couple great blocks down the stretch. Al meaningless, it's the agenda now basketball is over for them. Hell people can't wait until "they lose to ECU" - it's reality here. Tough to even look at all these threads and remember any of the good days with the basketball fans we once proud to share it with.

If people watched last night and didn't at least feel a little bit better about the future of Whaley, Diarra, and Vital, then I don't know what to say. We're gonna have those guys for a couple more years, and they all gave us reason for optimism going forward.

But whatever. I can't change people. All I can do is try to make sure that they don't change me...

Reaction Score
If people watched last night and didn't at least feel a little bit better about the future of Whaley, Diarra, and Vital, then I don't know what to say. We're gonna have those guys for a couple more years, and they all gave us reason for optimism going forward.

But whatever. I can't change people. All I can do is try to make sure that they don't change me...
Change you? Why? We would lose the entertainment factor.

You are really working it hard today. You must know deep down that KO is close to getting axed.

But let me address some of your crazy. First, yes, playing Tulsa even on their court is an improvement. But that isn't exactly something to get excited about. Tulsa is a borderline Top 100 team. This doesn't excite anyone who isn't a blind disciple. Second, fans staying home may indeed impact recruiting but it also impacts the university's decision on whether or not to keep KO and people want him gone. This is their voice. Tough if you don't like it. Third, tell me, superfan, is there a point where you would stop caring? If they were ranked 300 in the power ratings and had no hope of ever making it back to the NCAAs, you would still be excited to watch them play and get all bummed out when they lose? If you say yes, you are insane and should admit yourself to the nearest mental health facility. If not, where exactly is your threshold? Our current state is pretty damn bleak so I am wondering where exactly you go numb?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom