UCONN NATION - Take the emotion out of this for a moment | The Boneyard

UCONN NATION - Take the emotion out of this for a moment

Reaction Score
Understand where we all are right now. We are tired, drained, dis-heartened and incredibly frustrated by downward trend of our program. This transition has taken us to the top of the mountain and now we seem to be stuck in the valley......and honestly I feel this goes back to the 2010 and 2012 Seasons when the program started to lose some traction initially. It was then when momentum started to go a downward and we could see the Calhoun era coming to a close. We were so fortunate to get our title in 2011 and more fortunate in 2014.

Olie is UCONN, flaws and all. We have to ride with him at least through the 2018-2019 Season. There are just no other options out there that is going to right the ship and coming to this realization is painful.

This is our family man, our UCONN brother and the entire staff needs our support. You don't have to like anything that is going on. Yes the product sucks right now and has for quite sometime. All of the numbers, metrics, inconsistent play, tormoil, lack of execution, focus, turnover, budget cuts, losses support a decision on the surface to move in a different direction.

However I want you guys to dig a little deeper and remember 2012-2013, the probation year. The way Ollie coached and motivated that team was a beautiful thing especially when it seemed like we had nothing to play for but that UCONN pride. That coaching staff was strong.

Who can forget the following season and the way that team played down the stretch before winning the whole damn thing for UCONN Nation.

Following year was really a stop gap, rebuild year that was disappointing but not a complete waste of a season. 20 win season and a NIT appearance. If Deandre Daniels stays for his senior season we are probably at least a sweet 16 team.

2015 we go in with elevated expectations and this season was also a bit disappointing given the inconsistency of Daniel Hamilton. Despite he was our best player as a sophomore and we make it to the secound round of the tournament where we eventually lose to a #1 seed Kansas. Won the AAC Tournament despite a 6th place finish.

2016 is the year everything goes completely off of the rails after a top 10 recruiting class that was supposed to set us up for the next few years. This was the stop the bleeding, get back to being UCONN class. Obviously this did not pan out with 2 freshmen transferring and a sophomore, Alteriques and Larrier's season ending injuries. Sure there were some things within our control however this was simply some bad luck. These guys win at least 21 games with Gilbert and Larrier healthy.

This year is this year. Jalen is not a point guard and the only true point guard that we have is out again for the year on a system predicated on a two guard system. We do not have an experienced
front court to lean on. They are very young. We do not have a true five that controls the paint. Larrier is coming off of an ACL. This injury takes about 2 years to fully recover from. We also do not have any 3 point shooters. Due to the injuries and departures this is why we have these holes in our team. The players that transferred would have provided size, length, rebounding and some level of improved shooting. We've asked too much of Jalen. He is not Kemba or Shabazz and will never be. When we have a full team with our pieces the Ollie can utilize his strengths much more effectively.

The bright side for 2018, best case scenario. The incoming class has shooting at point and both forward positions with players that are rising for the most part, want to be here and address a need. There is a chance that we get Jalen and Terry back along with Gilbert. You add Sid Wilson to the mix and we have ourselves a certain NCAA team that could make a sweet 16 run. Ollie fell off a little but he has gotten back up.

We need a few things to fall our way to get back on track. It's not hopeless. The timing has sucked however the bleeding has stopped. This season was baked last year and all we can do is to look for signs of growth and improvement. We are not what we were. The ugly brand of basketball is tough to watch and It's a new era in UCONN Men's basketball. We have to accept this new reality as painful as it has been. We will rise again Huskies but can't throw the baby out with the bath water. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, the acceptable.

P.S. If Ollie goes now or at the end of the season we lose another class and we're looking at another 3 years of misery at best. Another year is needed. That is all that I ask from my fellow HUSKIES.

Reaction Score
Family, brotherhood, blah blah. This isn't a charity for ex-players.

The bottom line is that Kevin Ollie is being paid more money than all but 9 or 10 other men's college basketball coaches in the country. That's a fact. What's also a fact is that his job performance has been nowhere near commensurate with that salary. 1 NCAAT appearance in the past 4 years (assuming we don't make it this year) is completely unacceptable from someone of his pay-grade.

While you can't take 2012-13 and 2013-14 away from him (nor should you), you can't excuse him for what has occurred since either.

You can say that the injuries were bad luck, and I might agree, but unfortunately that's part of the gig. Injuries end up contributing to coaches losing their jobs all the time in sports. Tough luck.

And any excuses regarding the makeup of the roster, player retention, or player development (or lack thereof) ultimately falls short since all of those responsibilities land directly on the coaching staff.

Yeah we have an ok group of kids coming in next year, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that the #97, #159, and #166 ranked recruits are going to come in and be Kemba, Rudy, and Emeka reincarnated. Anything's possible I guess, but the odds are certainly against it. Terry is not coming back. Jalen I wouldn't bet on either. So that leaves us with what exactly for next year? The 3 freshman, Sid (essentially a freshman), Gilbert (who knows what he'll be), CV, and a bunch of dreck in the front court. Awesome.

Ollie wont be fired mid-season, but if he is back for next year it wont be on merit, it'll be because because AD Dave couldn't secure the funds to boot him yet (a likely scenario). Kevin will make a great bench coach for an NBA team someday, but this whole running a program thing just isn't for him.

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Brotherhoods smotherhood. I don't pay my brother millions of dollars. Stop the blind loyalty because he is a former player. If he had no UCONN history, would you feel the same? I'm not going to another game as long as he's the coach.

Reaction Score
But for the buyout, he would already be gone. Period. One tournament appearance over the past 4 seasons just doesn't cut it no matter what the coach's past history is.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
KO showed a lot during his first two years here (I will go so far as to say that nobody could have done better all things considered).

Who we have today is not the same man and not the same coach. If he can somehow find a way to be that coach again, the program can rebound. Is this possible? I don't know but it is a very long shot.

My belief us that we will need to go through the remainder of this season and all of next before we change coaches.

Reaction Score
My biggest problem with KO is that I see no evidence that he is attempting to refine or change his offensive philosophy, despite overwhelming evidence that his system is outdated and fails to maximize his talent. This has been covered at length, but we absolutely fail to get easy baskets. Rather, everything is earned the hard way (i.e., with one of our guards going against a completely set defense). It worked in 2014 during the NCAA tournament, but that was a unique circumstance in terms of our personnel and the match ups, plus, even that team did not have the regular season that we expect from a Uconn team. If he cannot grow and adjust, then we need to move on.

Reaction Score
Brotherhood would you say that to a CEO of a company that is running it into the ground just because he had been with the company for a long time?
Yup, that's what GE did...now look at them.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="UCweCONN, post: 2501325, member: 619"I'm not going to another game as long as he's the coach.[/QUOTE]
At least you closed with something we can feel good about.

Reaction Score
I’m at a loss for words, but let’s watch the game tonight and then continue this conversation...

Reaction Score
My biggest problem with KO is that I see no evidence that he is attempting to refine or change his offensive philosophy, despite overwhelming evidence that his system is outdated and fails to maximize his talent. This has been covered at length, but we absolutely fail to get easy baskets. Rather, everything is earned the hard way (i.e., with one of our guards going against a completely set defense). It worked in 2014 during the NCAA tournament, but that was a unique circumstance in terms of our personnel and the match ups, plus, even that team did not have the regular season that we expect from a Uconn team. If he cannot grow and adjust, then we need to move on.

Without shooters or just having players that can knock down shots is the issue here. It's personnel driving this right now. We miss wide open looks consistently. If we cut the turnovers down in half we have another 3 wins easily. This is the team we have after losing the transfers. The offense is there, the lack of execution is not and that is driven by the personnel. We just don't have it right now. Shooters solves a lot of problems. Having a true point that can run an offense that doesn't consistently turn the ball over solves a lot of problems. Having your main two scorers take good shots solves a lot of problems.

Reaction Score
KO showed a lot during his first two years here (I will go so far as to say that nobody could have done better all things considered).

Who we have today is not the same man and not the same coach. If he can somehow find a way to be that coach again, the program can rebound. Is this possible? I don't know but it is a very long shot.

My belief us that we will need to go through the remainder of this season and all of next before we change coaches.

I ask this question with all sincerity. Why next season as well? It is likely to just be more of the same and I just can't see this going on that much longer. Other than the buyout, what is it that I am not seeing?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Brotherhoods smotherhood. I don't pay my brother millions of dollars. Stop the blind loyalty because he is a former player. If he had no UCONN history, would you feel the same? I'm not going to another game as long as he's the coach.

Big of you!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom