UConn Men's Basketball: Meet Steven Enoch [Video] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Men's Basketball: Meet Steven Enoch [Video]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Composite of what?
All the major recruiting services, which includes, but is probably not limited to, 247, ESPN, Rivals and Scout. Here's their explanation:

The 247Sports Composite Rating is a proprietary algorithm that compiles prospect "rankings" and "ratings" listed in the public domain by the major media recruiting services. It converts average industry ranks and ratings into a linear composite index capping at 1.0000, which indicates a consensus No. 1 prospect across all services.

The 247Sports Composite Rating is the industry's most comprehensive and unbiased prospect ranking and is also used to generate 247Sports Team Recruiting Rankings.

More details ...

All major media services share an equal percentage in the 247Sports Composite Rating.

The composite index equally weights this percentage among the services that participate in a ranking for that specific prospect.

A composite strength meter, indicated by red bars, illustrates the total number of industry services that have ranked the prospect. A full strength meter indicates the prospect has been ranked by all industry services participating in the composite.

All industry services have a different philosophy on number of "stars" distributed with each class. The 247Sports Composite Rating assigns stars based on an approximate average distribution of stars from the industry.

Reaction Score
That's what I thought, but doesn't that undercut the consensus on this thread that "3 out of the major 4" say he's a top 50-60 kid if the composite ranking has him 85? That seems nonsensical.

Reaction Score
That's what I thought, but doesn't that undercut the consensus on this thread that "3 out of the major 4" say he's a top 50-60 kid if the composite ranking has him 85? That seems nonsensical.

No idea what makes up the 247 composite, Meyer should probably be clearer in his definition, the RSCI gives a clearer look at what's used, he's ranked #66 in that.

http://www.draftexpress.com/RSCI/2015/

Reaction Score
I think everyone can agree that the top 4 recruiting sites are 247, ESPN, Rivals and Scout. I wish 247 was a little more transparent with what services they use, because I'm not sure what other sites rank all eligible recruits (there are a few that do rankings by state). For all we know, 247 only uses those 4, and Enoch being left off ESPN's top 100 list is dragging his composite ranking down.

So without knowing which recruiting sites are being used, I think it's fair to call Enoch a top 60 recruit.

Reaction Score
I thought Dham had a nice head of hair...and then there was Enoch...and then there was Vance

Reaction Score
Phil may look awkward at times, doesn't rebound well and is limited offensively but he is our best position defender, best screen setter, and takes the most charges. None of these things show up in the boxscore but they help you win games. Jake Voskuhl never scored 20 points in a game in his whole life but he was one of the most underrated Husky players of all-time and a winning player.
PN isnt fit to hold JV`s jockstrap!

Reaction Score
I swear Enoch's recruiting ranking continues to skyrocket in every retelling. He is not as polished as some of you make it seem.
True. There is no telling what he is till he hits the court in real game situations. I dont buy into any ratings or opinions. Couple years ago people thought Amidah was a project and might be red shirted and he has turned out to be far better than anyone expected. Throughout our recent history we`ve seen this with numerous players.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
superjohn said:
Amazed that my post could go right over your head. I brought up Jake because he was underappreciated by many Uconn fans at the time because he did a lot of things that don't show up in the boxscore, Phil does some of things as well which Ollie seems to recognize and you seem not to.
Absolutely. Last year, scoring issues aside, Phil was our best interior defender and it wasn't even close. The kid is very, very smart on the defensive end. I can only see him being even more savvy in his senior year. People only see the missed bunnies and its " Nolan sucks". He doesn't.

Reaction Score
My point is that it's bush league the way UConn "fans" denigrate their own players. Have some damn respect for someone with the guts to put on the uniform and fight for the Huskies. Yeah he's worse than Voshkul, no need to be a richard about it.
Last i checked it was a free country. People like you are the reason every kid gets a trophy its quite pathetic. Ive run into Phil a couple of times and busted his balls a bit and hes a good sport and a great kid. Its nothing personal. Grow a pair and quit being such a panzy!

Reaction Score
Yeah Phil is a very underwhelming player, the only things he does that well are things that don't show up in the box score and that you don't notice on a normal basis. I'd say the drawn charges are the only thing that's easy to notice and since his attempts to draw them can be egregious sometimes, it has become almost a joke at this point. The "Philly Phlop" is what we call it in my game watching group, but he is a very good body defender. The kind of defender who keeps a talented big from scoring in the paint, but not with a block or steal, just with keeping his body in the way and not letting the player get the shot they want. He did so much of that in the 2014 championship run that I really started to appreciate him more.

However, I wont be that surprised if Enoch earns a lot of minutes, because really all he needs to do that is be picking up on the kind of things Nolan does right. It sure seems like he's far more polished in terms of his body and his offense than Phil has ever been, and basically Ollie will need different things at different times. I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan and Enoch play together a fair amount. Have Nolan there as the rock defensively, and Enoch there in case there's an open look under the hoop, because we've seen how Philly puts those up sometimes.

Bottom line is Nolan and Enoch are definitely going to be very different players, and that's a great thing. This team has a little of everything, and I think our coaching staff really knows what to do with a bench that looks like a Swiss army knife, I cant wait for this season to kick off

Reaction Score
TheChamps990411 said:
Last i checked it was a free country. People like you are the reason every kid gets a trophy its quite pathetic. Ive run into Phil a couple of times and busted his balls a bit and hes a good sport and a great kid. Its nothing personal. Grow a pair and quit being such a panzy!

Really, you said "hey Phil you _____ suck!" and he said "hey thanks man, I appreciate the support" ..... I sort of doubt it.

You can't seriously see a connection between participation trophies and noting that it's sh I t ty to relentlessly disparage the players on the college team you root for. You're just trying to sound like a hardo.

Reaction Score
I don't see why it's hard to imagine the composite score being in the 80's, if 3 services have him in the 50's/60's and one service has him outside of the top 100. We don't know how far outside the top 100 he is, but it's dragging the composite down.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I should've known better than to try and reason with a crazed wingnut. You heckled one of our players one on one? You're a horrible fan, sorry bud. Then you go and rant about participation trophies and project your own lack of self-esteem by insinuating that I don't have testes? Get some help.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
how would you know he should be behind phil without seeing their development this summer..
I already answered. My assumption is the mental task of playing defense to the standard Ollie expects is something a 4 year senior is far more prepared for than even the most talented of Freshman. I'll give Enoch the benefit of the doubt and say he's offensively gifted from go, though I think this is far from a given, but even at that the spot minutes behind Brimah are likely to go the poised senior who is well acclimated to the system and had played significant minutes on a NC team. We play defense first and look to score second as a rule. We want to play in the open court. We simply don't need much scoring out of the 5. We do however need to prevent easy baskets at the rim.

Everyone undersells the importance of 2-3 charges a game. They are turnovers that also help us get into the bonus and the other team in foul trouble. They are hugely positive plays.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Phil was injured last season and that may account for his flat footed play. I think he'll surprise a lot of the doubters this season.

Reaction Score
I should've known better than to try and reason with a crazed wingnut. You heckled one of our players one on one? You're a horrible fan, sorry bud. Then you go and rant about participation trophies and project your own lack of self-esteem by insinuating that I don't have testes? Get some help.

The internet allows people to play a character that they're not, I am sure he did no such thing and kept it moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom