UConn Men's Basketball Accomplishments... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Men's Basketball Accomplishments...

Reaction Score
If we rattle off 3 more NCAA tournament appearances it looks like Hurley would have the uconn record for most consecutive appearances.

Reaction Score
Our 10-1 record in the Final Four has to be some kind of record, in addition to being 5-0 in champ games. When we get there, we finish the job. Talking to you Tom Izzo.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Our 10-1 record in the Final Four has to be some kind of record, in addition to being 5-0 in champ games. When we get there, we finish the job. Talking to you Tom Izzo.
I'm not sure I would place too much weight in that. While it does sound nice (and winning it all five times is no small feat) this is to some extent rewarding us for the years we didn't get there.

Were we better off than Duke in 1990? Were we better off than Florida (1994), Mississippi State (1996), UNC (1998) or Mason (2006) for falling short in seasons we could have made it?

If in any one of those years, if we could somewhat rewrite history and give ourselves one or two more wins before that season ended without a title how many would say "no, I'd rather lose where we did to preserve our final four record"?

While I'm at it, would we have been better off if we lost to Missouri in 2009?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We lead the world in bringing agony on Syracuse fans.

Best message board pizza thread.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I would place too much weight in that. While it does sound nice (and winning it all five times is no small feat) this is to some extent rewarding us for the years we didn't get there.

Were we better off than Duke in 1990? Were we better off than Florida (1994), Mississippi State (1996), UNC (1998) or Mason (2006) for falling short in seasons we could have made it?

If in any one of those years, if we could somewhat rewrite history and give ourselves one or two more wins before that season ended without a title how many would say "no, I'd rather lose where we did to preserve our final four record"?

In 1990, yes we were better off than Duke.

UNLV wouldve smoked us. No thanks.

94 and 96 we wouldve won the title and been 14-1 so those hurt

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We lead the world in bringing agony on Syracuse fans.

Best message board pizza thread.
And as our North Carolina friends are fond of pointing out, have been responsible for keeping Duke and Kentucky from accumulating more national championships.

Reaction Score

Record IN the final four is what I’m talking about. Do you realize how outrageous it is to be 10-1 in the FF and 5-0 in Champ games???? % wise that has to be a record (obv being unbeaten in champ games can’t be exceeded but we have a LARGE sample size).

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
Record IN the final four is what I’m talking about. Do you realize how outrageous it is to be 10-1 in the FF and 5-0 in Champ games???? % wise that has to be a record (obv being unbeaten in champ games can’t be exceeded but we have a LARGE sample size).
JC took the pups to the Promised Land of the FF four times and won THREE. That's insane. I'm too lazy to check all the coaches, but pretty sure only Wooden has a better record. Most are not even close, in fact only a couple have winning records in the Championship Game (Calhoun, Knight, Wooden, who else?).

Last edited:

Sick Puppy

Reaction Score
Obviously not counting one-timers, but put Ollie and Hurley in if you wish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JC took the pups to the Promised Land of the FF four times and won THREE. That's insane. I'm too lazy to check all the coaches, but pretty sure only Wooden has a better record. Most are not even close, in fact only a couple have winning records in the Championship Game (Calhoun, Knight, Wooden, who else?).
The one final 4 we lost was to Michigan State 1 hour from their campus.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
So would we be even better off if we lost to Missouri in 2009?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In 1990, yes we were better off than Duke.

UNLV wouldve smoked us. No thanks.

94 and 96 we wouldve won the title and been 14-1 so those hurt

One of your observations is going to trigger a certain someone on this board with a canned response to your observation.

Reaction Score
Besides Melo, it's hard to think of non-uconn players who basically carried a team through the tourney on their way to a ring. Kemba and Bazz are hard to beat for tourney superstars.
Danny Manning.

Reaction Score
So would we be even better off if we lost to Missouri in 2009?
What?? What the hell Point are you trying to make?? Are you the same guy that said 15-1 is a better % than 14-0? Cuz that would make a lot of sense.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
What?? What the hell Point are you trying to make?? Are you the same guy that said 15-1 is a better % than 14-0? Cuz that would make a lot of sense.
The point is this, if we had lost in the regional finals to Missouri in 2009 we would be 10-0 in the final four. I really need you to walk me through why that wouldn't have been a better outcome for us as the basis of your argument includes the fact that every year where we fell short while having a team capable of making the final four gave us a better overall final four winning percentage by losing earlier than the final four.

No, I am not the guy who claimed 15-1 is a better %. But that guy didn't say that either, he claimed each was equal in terms of accomplishment, not percentage.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Did all of the above with minimal respect and still maintain a massive chip on our shoulder
#'ships'n'chips
Only program to win both men’s and women’s titles in the same year - and doing it TWICE.
"Mods, please move this to the Women's board." :rolleyes:
Undefeated in NCAA Championship Games.

View attachment 87980
So fresh that somebody edited things up to reflect 5 appearances and Georgetown's 9th place status, but so exciting that it resulted in a careless error to not show UConn in 8th place.

Also noted...

Denham Brown who scored 111 points in a high school game, and Hilton Armstrong who was exactly 1 Hilton Unit played on the same team.

From 1991-1994, the team had 2 players named Don[...] Marshall.

2002-03 roster had 3 players named Brown: Justin, Taliek, and Denham.

Between 3 players, this year's team had 2 Andres and 2 Johnsons.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
10 straight conference regular season championships (Yankee conference) is behind only Kansas (14), UCLA (12) and Gonzaga (11 - twice) for longest streaks of all time.

7 Big East tournament titles, is second all time despite not being in the league for nearly a decade.

5 straight wins in 5 straight days has never been done before or since 2011 BET, including 4 straight wins in 4 days vs ranked opponents.

Reaction Score
5 straight wins in 5 straight days has never been done before or since 2011 BET, including 4 straight wins in 4 days vs ranked opponents.

Has 5 wins in 5 days been done in any other conference tournament by any other team?

Sick Puppy

Reaction Score
10 straight conference regular season championships (Yankee conference) is behind only Kansas (14), UCLA (12) and Gonzaga (11 - twice) for longest streaks of all time.

7 Big East tournament titles, is second all time despite not being in the league for nearly a decade.

Are we in the running for most regular season conference championships?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Are we in the running for most regular season conference championships?
Tied with Georgetown with 10 for a second behind only Nova with 11 (and Nova won 6 of those while we were in the AAC)…

Sick Puppy

Reaction Score
Tied with Georgetown with 10 for a second behind only Nova with 11 (and Nova won 6 of those while we were in the AAC)…
So if you count the Yankee Conference, we mop the floor with everyone?

Reaction Score
The championships with three different coaches (in three different conferences?) has only been done by us and UK since the tournament got fair in 1975. That’s the biggest feather in our cap. Next is the 5 championships. Then it’s the winning percentage in NC games. Then it’s final fours. Then the conference championships.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom