UConn men, women heading in opposite directions | The Boneyard

UConn men, women heading in opposite directions

Reaction Score
Reluctant to post this article since it's just piling on at this point. But we're going to be seeing a lot of these articles until Ollie turns this thing around. The Connecticut Post doesn't even have a beat writer any more but they finally decide to write an article and this is what they write about? Thanks, Doug.

“That’s the question I get,” said Jeff Goodman, an ESPN basketball insider, “is, ‘What the hell is going on at UConn?’ A lot. I don’t know how to answer it.”

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/UConn-men-women-heading-in-opposite-directions-11075902.php

pj

Reaction Score
I mostly liked the article, I thought it was pretty fair. But too much time on the Boneyard has made me sensitive to negativity.

Here's a tiny thing that struck me: "The Huskies are an incredible 112-2 over the last three years" -- four years ago they were 40-0, so he could have said "an incredible 152-2 (with three national championships) over the last four years", or "an incredible 111-1 since an early-season loss to Stanford in 2014." To pick a starting time just before the Stanford loss slightly undersells the UConn women's accomplishment.

I feel like the Connecticut press, and many Boneyard posters, grab opportunities to magnify negatives and diminish positives.

I do think the article made a few good points. KO remains a work in progress as a head coach, his potential ceiling is to be a Hall of Fame coach and an all-time great, his potential floor is to be Tom Crean, a guy who leads an elite name program to the NCAAs every other year. The Crean parallel is a good one but I'm confident KO will achieve his full potential.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there anything lamer than a journalist interviewing another journalist for an article?
Everyone editorializes these days. Every idiot with an internet connection thinks they are some quasi analyst, and thanks to shows like First Take, we turn to these people for opinions and insight now. It's pathetic

Reaction Score
I mostly liked the article, I thought it was pretty fair. But too much time on the Boneyard has made me sensitive to negativity.

Here's a tiny thing that struck me: "The Huskies are an incredible 112-2 over the last three years" -- four years ago they were 40-0, so he could have said "an incredible 152-2 (with three national championships) over the last four years", or "an incredible 111-1 since an early-season loss to Stanford in 2014." To pick a starting time just before the Stanford loss slightly undersells the UConn women's accomplishment.

I feel like the Connecticut press, and many Boneyard posters, grab opportunities to magnify negatives and diminish positives.

I do think the article made a few good points. KO remains a work in progress as a head coach, his potential ceiling is to be a Hall of Fame coach and an all-time great, his potential floor is to be Tom Crean, a guy who leads an elite name program to the NCAAs every other year. The Crean parallel is a good one but I'm confident KO will achieve his full potential.

Not trying to too much of a Richard Head, but at this point what makes you think KO has the HOF as his ceiling? He caught lightening in a bottle one year as the team made a really improbable run during playoff and tourney time. Other than that he has been all Tom Crean all the time. In fact that rating may be generous unless he makes tourney next year.

Reaction Score
Reluctant to post this article since it's just piling on at this point. But we're going to be seeing a lot of these articles until Ollie turns this thing around. The Connecticut Post doesn't even have a beat writer any more but they finally decide to write an article and this is what they write about? Thanks, Doug.

“That’s the question I get,” said Jeff Goodman, an ESPN basketball insider, “is, ‘What the hell is going on at UConn?’ A lot. I don’t know how to answer it.”

UConn men, women heading in opposite directions
Take this article to the Women's forum, never cared, if your part of this Boneyard you should already have a strong understanding of what is going on with the Men's program, a much better understanding than so called "ESPN basketball insider", Jeff Goodman.

Take it to the Women's and strap this post down.

Reaction Score

So you really think saying "an incredible 112-2" DIMINISHES an accomplishment?

Please,tell me i am missing the sarcasm or joke in this.

Reaction Score
Not trying to too much of a Richard Head, but at this point what makes you think KO has the HOF as his ceiling? He caught lightening in a bottle one year as the team made a really improbable run during playoff and tourney time. Other than that he has been all Tom Crean all the time. In fact that rating may be generous unless he makes tourney next year.

Why potential HOF coach? KO is the head coach of the program which has won more NC than any other program since 1999.

Make the tournament this coming season - if the Huskies accomplish this feat, given the transfers, decommit, key players returning from serious injuries, graduations of experienced players, etc., KO should receive a Fast Pass to HOF consideration.

Reaction Score
I read the boneyard every day and live and die with the program. Know KO a little and he is a great guy as far as I can tell but I want to know what the heck is going on. If these transfers didn't work hard enough how could they make so many mistakes in recruiting.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Why potential HOF coach? KO is the head coach of the program which has won more NC than any other program since 1999.

Make the tournament this coming season - if the Huskies accomplish this feat, given the transfers, decommit, key players returning from serious injuries, graduations of experienced players, etc., KO should receive a Fast Pass to HOF consideration.
Maybe we can make him governor also, there will be an opening.

Reaction Score
Who the he'll is Doug Bonjour?

If you weren't around- the Horde - in our rise, what's up with your credibility to write in disgust. Needless to say ... we then find out they went to B.C. or Cuse and always dinged us. At some invisible internet blog.

Reaction Score
Not sure why every time we have a bad season we are "heading in the wrong direction". They even said this under JC. So weird how the press is so anxious to bury us all the time.

Granted, we haven't been looking good, but our coach won a title in 2014. You'd figure a professional writer would take a more measured approach in assessing the program. I realize we may be headed in the wrong direction, but as a writer, I'd be more level headed. I'm just a paranoid fan.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Lets put our backs to the wall again and see who comes out swingin. This aint nothin but posterboard material. This is gonna be a hard hat and lunch pail season.

" the world. Dont ask me for ish. Everything ya get ya gotta work hard for it."

Reaction Score
Would you be happier with Hobbs, Miller then Ollie recruiting ... Or Killings, Chillious then Ollie

Ollie (and Calhoun etc) encouraged this Transitional brotherhood & it had to change.

Before you whine about the guys that are leaving, that we didn't get or the current prospective entrants ... we HAD to make this change. Done. Insufferable amongst us can't wait a few months for our next look at results. Children. Anticipated that good things are coming .... versus Coal.

LoveMeSomeUC

"My point being" James A. Calhoun
Reaction Score
At the absolute minimum for accomplishments, UConn Men's Hoops recruiting classes should qualify for the tourney before the postseason 3 of 4 years at school. Non of this JA chuck a full court shot crap just to get a 9 seed. Anything less is just sad.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Is there anything lamer than a journalist interviewing another journalist for an article?

It's somewhat unfair to bash the writer for including another journalist when he indicates he tried to interview AD Dave and he declined. I guess Dave may be pissed because the Post doesn't assign a beat writer anymore?

Reaction Score

Ha. If you had Hall of Fame voting credentials, 90% of players and coaches would be in! KO was the head coach for one of those 4 championships, and inherited a good squad to accomplish it. So now, if he just gets to the tourney with a team featuring Jalen Adams, Alterique Gilbert and Terry Larrier, he should get fast tracked to the Hall because 3 kids graduated and 4 he recruited bailed? On a board full of them, this is one of the funniest posts I've read yet. Thanks for the comic relief.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Ha. If you had Hall of Fame voting credentials, 90% of players and coaches would be in! KO was the head coach for one of those 4 championships, and inherited a good squad to accomplish it. So now, if he just gets to the tourney with a team featuring Jalen Adams, Alterique Gilbert and Terry Larrier, he should get fast tracked to the Hall because 3 kids graduated and 4 he recruited bailed? On a board full of them, this is one of the funniest posts I've read yet. Thanks for the comic relief.

2014 championship is Ollie's. This crap that he did it with Calhoun recruits is just that - crap. He also owns everything bad that has happened since. But to throw out a national championship when evaluating Ollie as a coach, is as ridiculous as saying he's reached HOF status.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom