UConn men’s basketball center Adama Sanogo ‘ran out of gas’ last season. How Donovan Clingan can help (Hearst) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn men’s basketball center Adama Sanogo ‘ran out of gas’ last season. How Donovan Clingan can help (Hearst)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did he introduce Donovan Clingan as Connor?
I enjoyed the “I believe he’s going to UConn”. I’m glad they circled around to recognizing Victor as well.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Why is he running out of gas with plenty of guys who were available for minutes?
This.

Hurley indicted himself in that article. And it is something I've been getting killed on here for 2 months now.

Our (by far) most efficient offensive lineup this year with Whaley at the 5. There were plenty of minutes to give Adama a rest that (numbers state it!) actually made us a better team in stretches. Hurley admitting that he played Adama too many minutes is recognition of coaching malpractice. Except he isn't owning that Adama didn't NEED to play 38 minutes.

Also I would imagine trying to bowl over triple teams instead of passing for 38 minutes a game can be quite exhausting as well.

Reaction Score
This.

Hurley indicted himself in that article. And it is something I've been getting killed on here for 2 months now.

Our (by far) most efficient offensive lineup this year with Whaley at the 5. There were plenty of minutes to give Adama a rest that (numbers state it!) actually made us a better team in stretches. Hurley admitting that he played Adama too many minutes is recognition of coaching malpractice. Except he isn't owning that Adama didn't NEED to play 38 minutes.

Also I would imagine trying to bowl over triple teams instead of passing for 38 minutes a game can be quite exhausting as well.
Adama played 29.2 mpg this season and 29.3 mpg in Big East play.

Reaction Score
Johnson has a decent outside shot. He will be able to drag opposing centers out of the paint. That should prove to be a good complement to Sanogo. Hopefully this results in a more equitable division of minutes.

Reaction Score
This.

What proof is there to suggest the offense is better with Whaley at the 5? That worked out real well against PC.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What proof is there to suggest the offense is better with Whaley at the 5? That worked out real well against PC.
.PNG

Reaction Score
I was quoting Hurley
You should have quoted him then. Adama got plenty of rest. He played less than the other big time centers I can think of- Kofi, Oscar, Dickinson, Kalkbrenner...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
And how many minutes did each of those lineups get? Probably a small sample for the 1st one, and definitely the 4th one.

efficiency calculation. How does it work? Lol

Reaction Score
The opponent couldn’t have devised as effective a strategy to stop Adama as Hurley did in 2021/2022 season. At this juncture, let’s learn from it, put to bed the center in the High Hedge scheme and start 2022/2023 with fresh thinking and shooters.
Do you think Jamie Dixon wishes he had used the high hedge in the 2011 Big East tournament rather than switching? The high hedge is very effective. You need players that can switch if you are not going to use it and next year with taller guards we should be able to switch.

Reaction Score
Do you think Jamie Dixon wishes he had used the high hedge in the 2011 Big East tournament rather than switching? The high hedge is very effective. You need players that can switch if you are not going to use it and next year with taller guards we should be able to switch.
It is but we use it too much, it works against most inferior opponents but when you get to the really good teams and really good offensive coaches they exploit it. We're too much of a one trick pony with it, Carlton couldn't do it effectively at all and Clingan won't be able to either.

Reaction Score
Roughly 75 possessions for both Whaley lineups, 120 for just Sanogo, 530 for the one with both. The takeaway should not be Whaley was better than Sanogo, it should be we needed to play 1 big
Definitely. If Sanogo stays around a couple more years it will be interesting to see how they bring Clingan along.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You should have quoted him then. Adama got plenty of rest. He played less than the other big time centers I can think of- Kofi, Oscar, Dickinson, Kalkbrenner...

Did you read the article in the OP?

Reaction Score
Calhoun knew exactly what Pitt was going to do and therefore got the mismatch he desired. I think, while different, the same holds true with the high hedge. The opposition knows the mismatch that will result except there is more of a period of time where a player will be left totally unguarded. Don’t be fooled at the end of the play when the original defender gets back to their man (kind of), too often it results in a foul or too little too late. The recovery to the mess is what gets us in trouble against good teams and wears Adama out, so he can’t perform on the offensive end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom