UConn men’s basketball center Adama Sanogo ‘ran out of gas’ last season. How Donovan Clingan can help (Hearst) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn men’s basketball center Adama Sanogo ‘ran out of gas’ last season. How Donovan Clingan can help (Hearst)

Reaction Score
We already have that guy on the roster in Samson Johnson. We haven't been connected to any bigs because we have 4 guys who could get minutes at the 5 (Sanogo, Johnson, Clingan, Springs) and 4 guys who could get minutes at the 4 (Johnson, Karaban, Jackson, Springs). We needs guards and wings
Springs is really small for a 5 but we haven’t seen enough of him to say where he fits. He has pretty good form on his jumper in warmups.
The only kid that was more of a mystery was the kid who was going to give up his scholarship for Drummond. I may be wrong. but I don’t remember him ever playing or even dressing.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Roughly 75 possessions for both Whaley lineups, 120 for just Sanogo, 530 for the one with both. The takeaway should not be Whaley was better than Sanogo, it should be we needed to play 1 big

Yup, both the best lineups had one big.
And, interestingly, Tyler Polley on the floor for spacing.

Reaction Score
Springs is really small for a 5 but we haven’t seen enough of him to say where he fits. He has pretty good form on his jumper in warmups.
The only kid that was more of a mystery was the kid who was going to give up his scholarship for Drummond. I may be wrong. but I don’t remember him ever playing or even dressing.
I don't think Richie is any shorter than Sanogo. I really hope he gets a little run next year. I've only seen him in short spurts and during garbage time but he doesn't seem overwhelmed or overmatched. Don't sleep on Springs

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know efficiency is a per-possession stat, dips___.

I'm asking how big a sample size was used to arrive at those numbers.
It's not just the sample size, it's situational. Sanogo mostly came out when the other team pulled their 5. So Whaley was often facing a backup when he was at the 5.

The defensive efficiency numbers are pretty interesting. Swapping Polley for Jackson had horrific results. That 4th lineup was as good as the starting lineup on D.

Reaction Score
Michael Bradley. I actually think Springs is one of our better rebounders.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Our 3 best offensive lineups all had Polley in there.

Incidentally, those were also our 3 worst defensive lineups.
But the largest positive spread between O and D efficiency in the one-big with Polley groupings.

The point being, as much as many on here hated to see Polley on the floor at all, he made the whole offense better even when not scoring much by spacing the floor for others. Sure, I'd rather a 3 sniper (several, actually) who was also grabbing rebounds and cutting his man out of the opposing offense or raising havoc with help D. But with the limited shooting threat from the rest of the team, the threat he posed caused defensive problems for the opponent.

Reaction Score
There are obviously some issues with sample size and which lineups were on the court when we played a certain group. Still, it’s interesting to see the positive impact Polley had on our offense quantified, along with the negative impact he had on our defense. That makes me excited for Alleyne, because he can knock down threes, but also has a reputation as an excellent defender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom