UConn - Memphis game thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

UConn - Memphis game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
One last point: big props to Ariel Hearn of Memphis for getting 20 points, albeit in a losing effort. She didn't shoot lights out, but she did everything she could against a stout D.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
UC shoots 54% - 42% from 3

22-24 on free throws

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
One last point: big props to Ariel Hearn of Memphis for getting 20 points, albeit in a losing effort. She didn't shoot lights out, but she did everything she could against a stout D.
Required 22 shots but I take your point...

Reaction Score
To those who saw the game: Why were MoJeff's minutes so low? Her numbers seemed awfully good.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
To those who saw the game: Why were MoJeff's minutes so low? Her numbers seemed awfully good.
She played a lot but I think Geno also wanted to give meaningful minutes to Banks. For much of the 2nd half Geno went BIG ZONE with Stewie, Stef and Kiah at the back.

Reaction Score
Geno said after the game that the team was tired and he was trying to get the kids who hadn't played a lot more minutes. Banks and Chong subbed in a lot for Moriah. Geno also stated that he left Mosqueda-Lewis in as much as he could so that she could get back into her rhythm.

Reaction Score
She played a lot but I think Geno also wanted to give meaningful minutes to Banks. For much of the 2nd half Geno went BIG ZONE with Stewie, Stef and Kiah at the back.
How does Kiah get only 12 min in a blow out game when it seems like she plays
well when she is in ?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
well when she is in ?
Maybe you should ask Geno. I thought she played really well in the 2nd half. She will never be a scorer but she brings a lot of other things to the table.

Reaction Score
well when she is in ?
Well she was put in with under a minute left in the first half, so she did get to play most of the 2nd half. Don't forget in the 1st half Memphis was still leading with 11-12 minutes left or something like that before UConn went on that run to put the game out of reach. Also, are you going to take out Stewie or Stef just to get Kiah more minutes? Kiah will get to play a lot more next year obviously. Maybe when there are more blow outs during conference play she'll get more consistent playing time.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Seems Geno is tightening the rotation somewhat as he discussed.

Reaction Score
Seems Geno is tightening the rotation somewhat as he discussed.
Really? I don't get that sense that is happening, at least not yet. All 11 players got into the game today, and all but Lawlor and Pulido in the first half. Geno started subbing early, though that seems to be the pattern these days. One sub at the first time out, then two more at the second time out, and sometimes only one starter is left on the floor by the 10 minute mark. It's good that Geno can afford to get the younger guys a lot of playing time even as freshmen. I think that really helps in their development and keeps the cycle of excellence going, and that isn't possible at other schools where more games are closer and harder fought.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno is trying to get KML and Tuck on track. We saw some good stuff from both of them but still a little rusty. I thought the Memphis coach did a nice job and her team did a nice job of passing the ball and executing their plays to get shots. They showed a lot of patience and poise. Their coach will build a very good team if she continues doing what she is doing. A slow start but overall a very good team game on both sides of the ball. As well as Kiah plays she has got to become a scorer or Tuck will continue to get more minutes because she can score in a lot of different ways. Tuck was really getting on track knock down treys and scoring inside before she went down with KML. Give her some time to get back on track and we will be even better.

Reaction Score
Geno is trying to get KML and Tuck on track. We saw some good stuff from both of them but still a little rusty. I thought the Memphis coach did a nice job and her team did a nice job of passing the ball and executing their plays to get shots. They showed a lot of patience and poise. Their coach will build a very good team if she continues doing what she is doing. A slow start but overall a very good team game on both sides of the ball. As well as Kiah plays she has got to become a scorer or Tuck will continue to get more minutes because she can score in a lot of different ways. Tuck was really getting on track knock down treys and scoring inside before she went down with KML. Give her some time to get back on track and we will be even better.
I like that these AAC teams don't automatically go crawl into a hole at tip off because the team opposite them has a UConn jersey. Let's face it, if UConn were facing some of the old Catholic schools from the Big East, at the 16 minute mark the game would be over with UConn leading by 15-20. These teams come ready to play and aren't scared. Maybe it's better coaching. Who knows. For whatever reason the teams don't look scared and play like they actually have a chance, something you didn't see in the old Big East. Ice mentioned it's because of ignorance, and perhaps that is it. Plus these teams are giving the men a challenge which means either the men aren't that good or these teams in the AAC aren't that bad.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Oh, Cat, you can't criticize him. He gets offended when anyone from the BY calls him out. Seriously... :rolleyes:

i thought that was my job…seemed to have retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom