UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Mascot Change: Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has been in the works for awhile now. From what I've gathered, the logo will change to be more "angry", Nike may create new jerseys for our sports teams (at least the high profile teams), and there's been talk of the university branding itself as "UConn" instead of the "University of Connecticut" for everything including academics, similar to UCLA.

I'm going to miss the old logo though. I even have a couple Fatheads around the house bearing the old husky logo that will soon be obsolete (I'll call it vintage). Also, quick factoid: I don't know who determines this sort of thing.... but apparently our current "husky" logo isn't actually a husky. It's a malamute, which, if you look it up on google, looks exactly like a husky, but has some slight differences.

Reaction Score
They've been discussing it and developing designs for a while, but it's in the final stages - just a matter of figuring out when they want to reveal and start using it. The Co-op bookstores have put a halt on ordering new merchandise with the current husky on it.

Reaction Score
As much as I love the huskies we are bottom of NCAA in terms of a logo husky. Sorry. Needs to go.

Northern Illinois much better hope fully we come up with one better than theirs

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
This has been in the works for awhile now. From what I've gathered, the logo will change to be more "angry", Nike may create new jerseys for our sports teams (at least the high profile teams), and there's been talk of the university branding itself as "UConn" instead of the "University of Connecticut" for everything including academics, similar to UCLA.

I'm going to miss the old logo though. I even have a couple Fatheads around the house bearing the old husky logo that will soon be obsolete (I'll call it vintage). Also, quick factoid: I don't know who determines this sort of thing.... but apparently our current "husky" logo isn't actually a husky. It's a malamute, which, if you look it up on google, looks exactly like a husky, but has some slight differences.
I think we can all relate to the 'angry Husky' after the last 12 months of BS. Is there any way to incorporate F%$K THE NCAA into our new logo??

Reaction Score
They've been discussing it and developing designs for a while, but it's in the final stages - just a matter of figuring out when they want to reveal and start using it. The Co-op bookstores have put a halt on ordering new merchandise with the current husky on it.

That's because they still need to know whether to put an ACC or B1G logo on. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm confused - is it the mascot or logo that is getting an update? I like the Mascot, but the logo could use an upgrade. We also need to standardize all our logos and word marks which could be tricky because for football and in the block C logo we don't have any red like we do in the basketball uniforms.

NIKErep11silver-2T.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm confused - is it the mascot or logo that is getting an update? I like the Mascot, but the logo could use an upgrade. We also need to standardize all our logos and word marks which could be tricky because for football and in the block C logo we don't have any red like we do in the basketball uniforms.

NIKErep11silver-2T.jpg

The husky dog is changing to become meaner looking. I don't have any information on the text logo(s).

Reaction Score
Would love to have the block C hanging on the husky head like this one:
2488.gif

Reaction Score
there's been talk of the university branding itself as "UConn" instead of the "University of Connecticut" for everything including academics, similar to UCLA.

From a national perspective makes sense. But locally I think 'Connecticut' helps attract state residents who might not be alums of the university. As a non alum myself, I know I tend to purchase gear that has 'Connecticut' on it over 'UConn'

Reaction Score
I hope its still the all-white husky even if its "meaner" whatever that means. The all-white sets us apart from every other copycat (Washington, Northeastern, etc.)

Reaction Score
1) Ditch the red
2) Ditch all the 'UC' logos
3) Goes with 2, but the men's and women's basketball logos are different. Use the football block C on their uniforms
4) I think a 'mean' looking Husky would be tacky. I would like a modernized version of this - not the cartoonish looking one we have now.

UConn%2BLogo%2B2.GIF
This was always my favorite logo and thats why i have it as my picture. I was kind of mad when they ditched this for the current one. This is actually a very important decision so i hope they dont screw it up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Imagine how many championships Calhoun could have won if the logo looked meaner. What a shame.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think the existing logo is just fine. This is college for crying out loud. There's supposed to be some fun involved. Huskies aren't wolves. They're working dogs. Keep it as is.

Reaction Score
I received confirmation today that UConn will changing its husky into more a meaner looking husky dog. Maybe Herbst thinks a more badass mascot will answer our realignment prayers?

Interesting to see. The husky dog is actually the new logo for UConn. The football 'block C' goes all the way back to the 1800s and was used throughout

The husky dog though, is the logo that is most often associated with UConn. I personally grew to really like the husky dog concept helmet that emerged a few months ago.

In the 80s, football jerseys had stripes that looked like the old baltimore colts jerseys, and uconn spelled out on the helmets cursive. In the 90s we moved to more Penn State type solid colors with trim, and the husky logo in secondary spots on the sleeves and hips and the UCONN in print on the helmets. (always liked that)

In the early 2000s, they used a UC interlocking logo on the helmet, and then went back to the good old block C from antiquity.

There's cool looking helmet from the 60'/70s I think, that was a C, but made out of a football.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Imagine how many championships Calhoun could have won if the logo looked meaner. What a shame.

Yeah, I don't buy this 'intimidating' BS. AS if some 20 year old football player is going to be scared sh1tless by some artists rendering of a Husky.

I do think from a 'branding' standpoint we do need to make the uniforms, well, more uniform as I stated above. Blue and white. Use of the block C. And the wordmarks.

Now, all of this wouldn't mean a thing if we had a football team going 10-2, but I don't think it can hurt to streamline our identity.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Would love to have the block C hanging on the husky head like this one:
2488.gif
This dog looks like it just walked out of a gay bar.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
I received confirmation today that UConn will changing its husky into more a meaner looking husky dog. Maybe Herbst thinks a more badass mascot will answer our realignment prayers?

>> I'm retired, but my sources say it will be a more formidable, and no longer white with at least one blue eye!

th

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Personally I like when the uniforms say Connecticut. But really I won't lose any sleep. Mean husky. Friendly husky. 2 huskies doing it husky style. A husky humping HFD's leg.

Certainly putting names on the football jerseys has paid off in spades. That was worth worrying about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom