UConn - Louisville post game thread (merged) | The Boneyard

UConn - Louisville post game thread (merged)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not sure what 2nd half adjustments Geno made, or what was discussed at halftime, but please bottle that and save it for future games!

There were so many really good things about this game - first and foremost, hopefully the team feels really good about where they are after the way they played the last 2 games. And it isn't just the fact that they won both of them. I think they are getting acclimated to the new chemistry and puzzle that is required with so many pieces going down recently.
  • I love that we got 3 of their starters into foul trouble all with 4 fouls. Contrast that to ONLY Aaliyah and Ashlynn had more than 2 fouls - at 3 for Ash, and Liya picked up 1 late to have 4.
  • The first quarter especially was a faced paced game of pure offense. As a fan, sort of wishing we slowed them down a bit, but we were en fuego too!
  • The team not only poured in on in the 2nd half, but there was no letup in the 4th quarter.
  • Post player Paige with 5 blocks LOL. Seriously, she takes defense personally. Such a leader. The big 3 of her, Liya, and Aubrey - very nice!
  • Aubrey is my co-POG - off the bench with 25 points but on 9-11 shooting. So efficient.
  • Equally efficient was Aaliyah shooting 10-12. My other POG... This against a really solid team. Good on her!
  • Nika almost with a triple-double in assists (10), rebounds (7) and turnovers (8) LOL. 2 outta 3 ain't bad...!
  • Ashlynn and KK really sliding nicely into the starting lineup. I keep using the word fearless for the freshmen, and the pair of them really embody that.
  • Outscored L'ville 40-20 in the 2nd half. Reminiscent of Q3 against UNC, but this time they put 2 awesome Q's together in a row. Do I hear 3 for next game?
  • Q and Ice did some nice things, but mostly had no impact on the box score. Hopefully that changes and improves.
Bottom line just a feel good win. Great for the team, great for the fans, great all the way around.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Really, really nice win today by the Huskies over a very good Louisville team. A couple thoughts:
  • After running out a bunch of different lineups this season, UConn started the same small lineup for the 3rd game in a row, and it showed as the Huskies offense had much better player and ball movement. How about a season high 24 assists?
  • Does Paige need a new nickname? How about THE HUMAN ERASER? :eek: I’m sure Marvin Webster would be OK with that…
  • After a so-so defensive effort in the 1st half, UConn dropped the hammer on Louisville in the second half, holding the Cardinals to just 20 points.
  • While no UConn fan is happy with 7-3, UConn has fought through injuries and a tough OOC schedule. With the BE schedule up next, there will be a lot of opportunities for UConn’s youngsters as well as the team to continue to improve.
  • I love Nika. But she must take better care of the ball. I would rather see her take a bad shot than make a bad pass. A shot has a chance of going in or someone getting an offensive rebound. Nothing good comes of a bad pass.
  • Really strong veteran efforts by Aubrey, Aaliyah and Paige. KK continues to impress. Need a little more consistency from the rest of the rookies and this team should have a very nice 8 player rotation by March.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The seniors were terrific today.

70A5BB79-7CA2-4C2B-B77F-97316A58E22E.jpeg

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
-You can tell UConn was rested. 66% shooting in the first half and a solid defensive effort after a shaky first quarter indicated they were ready.
-UConn took advantage of Louisville’s struggles guarding the dribble. Aubrey and Ailiyah were having no problem getting to the rim.
-The assist number was impressive, but Nika’s turnovers deserve more attention. She continues to force too many passes and put receivers in bad positions.
-When Ailiyah makes outside shots like she did today, she looks like the All_American candidate again.
-KK is having no trouble getting into the paint but teams have made her make bad choices once she gets there. They are playing the kick out and she is responding with trying to force layups. The pull up in the middle of lane seems to be the answer.
-Aubrey played like a confident, consistent senior.
-Among other things is Paige the team’s best defender? 4 blocks again today. Sheesh.
-Love the throwback uniforms.
-Geno reiterated this week that he gets a better feel for what he has when he plays a brutal non conference schedule. They have several areas to address and improve but they are prepared for Big East play.

Reaction Score
One dumb thing I noted on the chat but still annoyed me. Fox talking about the 2019 U19 FIBA team and the U.S. squad that won gold. Absolutely loaded team. And had a graphic with Caitlin Clark as the MVP. I mean, I know she's the It Girl in hoops now but, uh, Paige was MVP of that tournament!

Anyway, fun win, good win.

Reaction Score
A very entertaining game. We were treated to a high scoring back and forth first half. Then a nice Uconn run in the 3rd quarter to pull away for a top 25 win.

Paige is just remarkable, and becoming quite the defender. And so efficient offensively, liked the actions we ran to get her open 3s. She’s a knockdown shooter.

Aubrey, wow. If she can consistently perform well a lot of our issues will disappear. This isn’t the first time she’s shown flashes of brilliance.

Aaliyah when the outside shot is falling is dominant. Glad to see she’s been stringing together great games.

My only qualm is that Nika continues to be a turnover machine. I thought there were a couple more possessions when she wasn’t credited for the turnover, but she put players in bad spots. Turnovers did us in last year, and have played a major role this year. She needs to cut them down, 8 empty possessions in one game is massive. She really struggles against a press.

Otherwise, great game. Must win games IMO against UNC and Louisville. Proud they got the job done.

Reaction Score
Awesome game. We just outran them, even though we basically played 8. So, we've got stamina. Paige, Aaliyah, and Aubrey were the pillars of this one. Aaliyah with 22 on 10-12 shooting, Aubrey with 25 on 9-11, and Paige with 20 and 4-6 from 3, and 5 blocked shots. I think Paige has reinvented herself to suit this particular team. Whatever it takes to win, she'll do. No stat stuffing. She could have scored 30 if she'd felt like it, but the team needed something else against a bigger team that likes to run.

Last season, Baylor got a bunch of blocks against us in the tournament, and it was mainly their little guards. Niki Cullen teaches this, and I think Paige learned something watching that game. She blocks from the side and from behind and avoids fouling while she does it.

Reaction Score
Well, I am happy that I can enjoy the rest of my weekend. This is the type of team and game which allows Aubrey to shine, one where she can go north to south and display her athleticism.

Aaliyah stayed within herself and played a very efficient game.

What more can be said about Paige? That behind the head pass to Aaliyah is guaranteed to make some highlight reels. She is so smooth out there, such a fantastic shooter, I sometimes wish she would take more shots, but she has her eye on the future. UConn will need her to lead, but the more consistent help she gets, the more dangerous this team becomes. She is painting the seeds now and hoping they sprout by the time the tourney comes around. She looks better with each game.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We can see that the starting five, 3rd game in a row, is gelling on offense. Very good passing with 24 assists for the game.

The most impressive for me was the defensive lock down they put on Louisville. Louisville had no place to go. The guards dribbled out front but they couldn't penetrate the lane. There were no easy passing lane to their bigs. UConn stuck like glue to their defensive assignments. The defense really frustrated Walz and Louisville.

Finally we are starting to see break aways on steals and rebounds. Defense generating offense.

Plenty to still work on but what strides the team has made in the last 10 - 14 days.

Reaction Score
My only qualm is that Nika continues to be a turnover machine. I thought there were a couple more possessions when she wasn’t credited for the turnover, but she put players in bad spots.
Correct, and it is a concern. Someone who has driven the bus for the past 3 years shouldn't be so erratic. Paige, however, is other worldly, and Aubry must have taken Geno's suggestions to heart!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We played with alot of energy intensity and confidence. We did not look for Paige every play. We looked to score from everybody. The defense was unbelievable. We never ran out of energy. Geno has done an amzin job in such a short time. Im hopin Paige comes back next season and everybody gets healthy. What couldve been can be next season with good health.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom