Uconn is too quick | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Uconn is too quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Regarding UConn's defensive strategy against ND: Who guards Arike O., and who guards Lindsay Allen?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes! Moriah had serious ups as well as speed for the opposing team to deal with. Least we forget, here are some highlights.

Thanks! Mo got lots of easy and quick points on steals. I remember watching Ed Reed of the NFL in his prime. Even though he was a DEFENSIVE player, he was always a threat to score.

I maintained for 3 years that Moriah was the most exciting player in the country. Last year, she was also the second best player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The Mo Jefferson block I remember was from her sophomore year against Odyssey Sims at Baylor.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Coco. THIS was the game Mo (along w/Stokes) became one of my favorite players. :D

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with HH. Westbeld had major trouble with Stanford last year and so did NDs guards. The speed is on the bench., i.e. Johnson and Young. Allen is a pass first PG so she would have to take it on her shoulders, which is possible but not if you lay off her and make her shoot 3s. The other guards I don't see with speed, they both like to put up shots but if you watched the Stanford game, their scout was pretty good on them as they have definite tendencies. Ogunbowale could shoot them out of the game if she is not on. Plus I don't consider Stanfords D anywhere as good as Uconns. ND has struggled because of a lack of team play, just look at McGraws face and it tells the story.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

1-- I don't agree with only picking the one game that ND lost to other than UCONN in which ND had just that one other loss- as any relevance to what she is now-- imo the one game analyzation isn't the right thing to do. If I want to look at back at last year I can easily point to Westbeld contributing to a team that was 33-2 and she was averaging 20.7 minutes per game. You play that much for ND/Muffett and your team is that good in a good conference like the ACC - you're at least at pretty good player. Last year ND going 33-2 had to go against not-too-shabby teams like Louisville, Syracuse and FSU. If Westbeld was able to compete against these teams as a sophomore, realistically we're supposed to expect she is going to get wiped out vs UCONN of this year?

2-- What do you mean by "Allen will have to take it on her shoulders?" What would she be exactly taking on her shoulders? I don't understand your points. Was it that I said she is an a/a type? If so we can aruge this but I won't argue it on the boneyard. I could care less what Allen becomes. But in the context that I describe Allen and have replied to the poster Magic when that poster said UCONN could pressure the ball, what is it that you arguing with me on? Who is going to pick her up full court and force her to turn the ball over vs teams like what she would have faced last year in Syracuse, Louisville and FSU? What did she have as far as a backup pg last year?

3--And as far as "ball pressure" in terms of the context of my disagreement with the other poster in which you apparently disagree - I said you can't really pressure the ball. So unless you can describe who is going to force Allen full court into a tough day in terms of on-the-ball-pressure which was the context of my post, I don't agree with you. And if you don't have answer to that, it then your point of laying off of her to shoot 3's contradicts "ball-pressure" which was the context of my post regarding Allen. You should be agreeing with me to a minor extent on this. Though I disagree with you as I'll describe with point 4.

4-- I don't like early on "laying off" Allen to shoot 3's. We don't need ball pressure but I don't like giving a senior guard - a starting pg like Allen confidence at home to start a game - giving her open shots with her feet set without an ability to somewhat close. We know teams at home can feel comfortable especially if they get into a zone. She averaged 9.3 ppg last year. A big game in which she is playing at home and is a senior and you decide to leave her wide open when you don't have to and she might take it as an insult - too much risk - that 9.3 could easily turn into 16-17 points.

5-- You are comparing last year Stanford's defense vs UCONN's. And they did score 84 points vs Stanford and 81 points vs UCONN last year. Allen did score 20 points vs Stanford last year and had 5 assists and just 1 turnover and was a decent 7-15 from the floor no 3's. Similar with UCONN she was 5-12 from the floor but hit 1 three vs two 3's taken. So essentially Allen would have had the same efg% in both. And Allen had 6 assists and two turnovers in that game vs UCONN. So if we want to look at just one game here or there and seeing how well Allen has played vs both (Stanford and UCONN) and if you look at UCONN last year, then why wouldn't you expect she''d do better this year? Especially that she is a senior and she is playing home and you've decided to leave her wide open?

Last edited:

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Not sure who is arguing or are you arguing with yourself LMAO. (In my Fat Amy voice)

Reaction Score
Not sure who is arguing or are you arguing with yourself LMAO. (In my Fat Amy voice)

Typical troll post from posters like you. You feel a right to argue other people's points but when it comes back, you get grossly defensive. Relax pal. So we disagreed and I don't agree with how you look at this one issue. Big deal.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Regarding UConn's defensive strategy against ND: Who guards Arike O., and who guards Lindsay Allen?

Since Ogunbowole is the best scorer between the two, I would put Kia on her, and Saniya /crystal on Allen.
I know Kia can keep Ogunbowale in front of her, Chong and Dangerfield should be able to contain Allen. Ogunbowale is the biggest threat on the team. Shut her down, and make everyone else beat you.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Since Ogunbowole is the more potent of their two guards, I would put Kia on Arike Ogunbowale, and Saniya /crystal on Allen. I know Kia can keep Ogunbowale in front of her, Chong and Dangerfield should be able to contain Allen. Ogunbowale is the biggest threat on the team. Shut her down, and make everyone else beat you.
I'm inclined to agree. Kia is the better choice for the very physical AO. It occurs to me that Gabby might guard her some, with Kia taking Allen and Saniya taking whoever is left. That might be too tall an order though owing to size differences.

I'm eager to see how Pheesa fairs against Turner.

Reaction Score
Since Ogunbowole is the best scorer between the two, I would put Kia on her, and Saniya /crystal on Allen.
I know Kia can keep Ogunbowale in front of her, Chong and Dangerfield should be able to contain Allen. Ogunbowale is the biggest threat on the team. Shut her down, and make everyone else beat you.

I agree and she is a big weapon no doubt. But what do you think about Mabrey who lit us up last year? And Turner? She'll be a bit of a handful. And Allen is a good player. What's your opinion on these other players?

Reaction Score
I think Gabby guards Ogunbowale, Kia guards Mabrey, and Saniya/ Crystal Dangerfield on Allen to start the game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm inclined to agree. Kia is the better choice for the very physical AO. It occurs to me that Gabby might guard her some, with Kia taking Allen and Saniya taking whoever is left. That might be too tall an order though owing to size differences.

I'm eager to see how Pheesa fairs against Turner.

Just remember that Gabby gets into foul trouble easily. Ogunbowale loves to drive the lane, and could very easily send Williams to the bench early on with two. I would not put Gabby anywhere near A.O. If Kia can't handle Ogunbowale, then I'd switchup. Ogunbowale would have to prove to me that she can beat Kia consistently first. You might have to give Kia some help before Ogunbowale puts the ball on the floor. I'd play it by ear. You hope plan A works, but have a plan B & C, and be ready to employ them quickly if needed. I'd put Collier on her before Gabby. Ogunbowale has the green light from Muffet, so no hesitation on her part. If she sees an opening, she's going to take it. I need Gabby to stay on the floor in this one. The only time I want to see her on the bench is during time outs.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree and she is a big weapon no doubt. But what do you think about Mabrey who lit us up last year? And Turner? She'll be a bit of a handful. And Allen is a good player. What's your opinion on these other players?

Turner (who I love by the way) does ALL of her work in the paint. She seldom shoots beyond 5' away from the basket. She doesen't have to. She's very successful doing what she does the way she does it. No need to change. "Keep doing what you do, the way you do it, until they stop it". Isn't that the thought in football on when running offensive plays? If the other team can't stop the run, duh, you keep running the ball.You don't start passing it. :confused:

I'd put Gabby of Pheesa on her. Play her 1 on 1. Stay between her and the ball to prevent entry passes. Gabby has the hops to deflect passes to her over the top. I'd put Lou on Mabrey. Mabrey is a pistol, and likes to shoot from the outside. If those assignments didn't work initially, then of course I'd make the necessary adjustments. There's only one ball out there, everybody is not going to be hot all at once.

Allen is pass first anyway. Turner will only get the ball if they give it to her on the block. If you remember, UConn did an excellent job on Turner in the first half of last year's game. They held her sccoreless. I understand the cast members will be different this time around, but maybe using the same script will work. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ND is heavily dependent on Allen for assists. I would play it this way.
Nurse on the ball on Allen
Saniya on Maybrey face Guarding. Saniya will have no help responsibility.
KLS on Arike for the size in case Arike goes into the post which she occasionally likes to do.
Collier on Turner if turner wants to rim run & she does, Collier is best to run with her.
Gabby on Westbeld

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I hope you are right. This will be a big challenge for Chong. On the other hand, it's an opportunity to do well and gain some credit, especially from Geno.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
KLS on Arike for the size in case Arike goes into the post which she occasionally likes to do.
Collier on Turner if turner wants to rim run & she does, Collier is best to run with her.
Gabby on Westbeld
I like four of your five lines. It doesn't occur to me that Lou would guard AO. But, you may be on to something regarding giving AO a tall hand to shoot over.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I like four of your five lines. It doesn't occur to me that Lou would guard AO. But, you may be on to something regarding giving AO a tall hand to shoot over.
AO is shooting 60% from 3Pt land and 43% from 2. My instructions to KLS would be simple. Make AO shoot over you or better yet make her put it on the deck because she is not a very good shooter while moving.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Gabby on Westbeld

Keep rotating our players until we find a combination that works. I like your match ups though. :)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
AO is shooting 60% from 3Pt land and 43% from 2. My instructions to KLS would be simple. Make AO shoot over you or better yet make her put it on the deck because she is not a very good shooter while moving.
Why this wouldn't have occurred to me is the issue of Lou keeping AO in front of her. I don't want to sell Lou short, but that seems like a tall order. (ha)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

1-- If Westbeld was able to compete against these teams as a sophomore, realistically we're supposed to expect she is going to get wiped out vs UCONN of this year?

2-- Who is going to pick her up full court and force her to turn the ball over vs teams like what she would have faced last year in Syracuse, Louisville and FSU? What did she have as far as a backup pg last year?

3--And as far as "ball pressure" in terms of the context of my disagreement with the other poster in which you apparently disagree - I said you can't really pressure the ball.

4-- I don't like early on "laying off" Allen to shoot 3's.

5-- You are comparing last year Stanford's defense vs UCONN's. And they did score 84 points vs Stanford and 81 points vs UCONN last year. Especially that she is a senior and she is playing home and you've decided to leave her wide open?

1) Westbeld has scored a total of 8 points playing 61 minutes in 3 games against UCONN. I am looking forward to her playing 40 minutes on Wenesday nigh at that rate of productivity.

2) Kia Nurse and the rest of the UCONN players will apply the required ball pressure.

3) Allen shot 26% from 3Pt range last year. If you are going to double off one of the other ND players to give Allen a open 3 that is not a bad strategy.

4) Allen has been a ND stater since she was a Freshmen. If and when UCONN deliberately decides to leave Allen open for any shot she might just keel right over from shock- as will I.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why this wouldn't have occurred to me is the issue of Lou keeping AO in front of her. I don't want to sell Lou short, but that seems like a tall order. (ha)
That is the Jedi mind trick to the whole think. You actually want AO thinking I can get by KLS easily.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Uconn is not playing out of control but they are very very quick. When you play teams that are not as quick, dont move the ball quickly, dont hustle and play to much one on one theyre in for a long nite against UConn. I saw some of that against Depaul. UConn came out on fire and they were intimidating. Depaul didnt get back moved the ball very slow and a lot of that had to do with UConns defense and just didnt hustle. Alot of that had to do with UConns overall quickness.

Alot of fans are concerned about opponents height. Height without agility is almost useless. Height is a good intimidation factor but if your not in the position it does no good. The reason UConns defense has been so good is they are so quick. They are all over you in a split second. The second half of the Chatty game and almost the entire DePaul game you saw UConn everywhere. It seemed as if they were playing with more then 5 players.

Texas and ND are not quick. Both have good bigs which could give UConn some problems. With that said I am confident that Geno will run plays to get those opponents bigs to have to play defense and that could create problems. Having the opposing bigs have to come out and guard UConn opens up the middle and imo those bigs can not get back fast enough thus leaving the middle open for a dribble drive or kick out to an open player if they double down or allowing UConn and open shot inside the line.
It is going to be very difficult for those opponents to guard UConn. I am not really concerned about opponents getting the ball down low. UConn will defend most of those passes and make it tuff. I see some big surprises over the next 2 games. Alot will be told and weaknesses will be exposed on both sides.

Uconn will come in with a game plan and they will be focused and will run it with adjustments throughout the game. Our opponents will have their hands full. Again UConns quickness should prevail and it will be their quickness on defense that will set the tempo. I dont see either team keeping up with UConn. The only thing that can slow UConn down is foul trouble.

One last thing on height and this is for those who are concerned about opponents height. Big and slow does no good except to intimidate you. If you do what your fear and continue to what you fear you will win out. Meaning take the ball right at them. Force them to use their height to stop your quickness and see what happens. I like UConn in both of these games. At ND my only concern is when Uconn takes the ball to the hoop and there is contact will it be a charge on Uconn or a foul on ND?
Correct!...and your key word is SPEED. You can usually see that even on the Uconn team.
When Uconn starts to substitute, (with the exception of Dangerfield) their agility diminishes. It was really quite evident, and speed(and hustle) was the key to the big early lead against DePaul.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right. This will be a big challenge for Chong. On the other hand, it's an opportunity to do well and gain some credit, especially from Geno.
I know she's improved a lot, but this is what I'm worried about. She might very well rise to the occasion and shock my socks clear off, but she could just as easily... under perform. Head bang I'm finding myself very impatient for Wednesday just to get an answer on whether or not she exceeds expectations.

Reaction Score
I know she's improved a lot, but this is what I'm worried about. She might very well rise to the occasion and shock my socks clear off, but she could just as easily... under perform. Head bang I'm finding myself very impatient for Wednesday just to get an answer on whether or not she exceeds expectations.
Love your avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog