"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach."

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We were also the best team in the country in the non conference and had clearly started playing our best ball in the few weeks leading up to the tournament. No way should we have been a 4 seed but it didn’t matter.
Yeah, I was convinced we were the team to beat by Christmas. The conference losses didn't change that, they actually helped Dan find and fix the few weaknesses we had. That is still paying dividends, and helped the team be more sound defensively in conference play this year. Stewart was a part of that, covering the paint on hedges was one of our weaknesses.

Reaction Score
I doubt he projects to the NBA as well as Hawkins did (does), and it's fair to point out that Cam has three more years of college experience than Hawkins had, but there is zero doubt that Cam Spencer this year is a better college player than Jordan Hawkins was last year.
He’s at least a better Steve Kerr

Reaction Score
I think the caveat here is that, in order to do that, the other team needs to play hyper aggressive defensively along the perimeter and basically constantly foul off ball with defense that tight. Big East reffing lets that stuff go, but I don't think refs in the NCAA Tournament will allow that to happen. The game should be way more open with even more looks based on the changes in refereeing.
Yes and the 3s go with the foul trouble up front. Both have to happen to make us beatable. Of course anyone shooting volume 3s over 60% can be an issue too.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Pretty much to beat us you’ll need,

• a 7’
  • an off shooting night
  • Clingan to get in foul trouble
  • an ounce of unicorn blood
  • for their board to do a Kanye counter mojo to our Swiftie
I think you have to add that the opponent will also need to be a very veteran team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn heading into the tournament and encountering obstacles

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
I doubt he projects to the NBA as well as Hawkins did (does), and it's fair to point out that Cam has three more years of college experience than Hawkins had, but there is zero doubt that Cam Spencer this year is a better college player than Jordan Hawkins was last year.

Oh be careful @Dogdeacon is lurking :oops:

Reaction Score
The only thing that is giving me some peace of mind about potentially choking is that operating at this level is once again the standard at UConn. Dan Hurley will have us in contention every single year. Are we going to be 31-3 each year heading into the tournament? No. But we should be a 4 seed or better every single season from here on out
Was saying this to my dad, esp after reading this:

Offensive Jagernaut

I believe we will reload- with the best players for our system- and be good to very good for a long time.

Just hope we can retain LM and KY for at least 1 more year and one of them for 2.

Reaction Score

Offensive Jagernaut

I believe we will reload- with the best players for our system- and be good to very good for a long time.

Just hope we can retain LM and KY for at least 1 more year and one of them for 2.

This was the most interesting article about UConn I think I've ever read. So basically, Hurley is Brad Pitt and Murray is Jonah Hill in Moneyball. This does make me hope even more that Murray stays a couple more years at least. Also makes me think that Karaban will (or should be) the UConn basketball coach after his professional playing days are over.

Reaction Score
This was the most interesting article about UConn I think I've ever read. So basically, Hurley is Brad Pitt and Murray is Jonah Hill in Moneyball. This does make me hope even more that Murray stays a couple more years at least. Also makes me think that Karaban will (or should be) the UConn basketball coach after his professional playing days are over.
Agreed on how interesting it was. 10/10.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Last year was kind of weird.

Then the attitude was we should beat St. Mary's and get to the Sweet 16.
That St. Mary's game was a struggle until that dude got hurt. I found it funny that the only person I heard bring that up all season was the Zags fan who did the Gonzaga game on TV.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I think Cam is kind of in the John Stockton mold, fierce, active and makes plays with and without the ball.
like this comp

Reaction Score
That St. Mary's game was a struggle until that dude got hurt. I found it funny that the only person I heard bring that up all season was the Zags fan who did the Gonzaga game on TV.
Strongly agree.

Of all the ways we got lucky (Kansas losing, other top seeds falling, etc.) this is the one that was actually the most impactful and was discussed the least. We actually trailed by 7-8 early and even trailed in the second half against St. Mary's. We could very easily have failed to win that game if their best player didn't randomly and weirdly get hurt.

Reaction Score

Offensive Jagernaut

Even losing them to massive upside jobs just makes us stronger. Best of luck to those two DOGS plus Tom…what a coaching squad.

Reaction Score
Even losing them to massive upside jobs just makes us stronger. Best of luck to those two DOGS plus Tom…what a coaching squad.
Ya- i want them to move on. It’s healthy. Just wanna hold on a little longer :-0

Reaction Score
Whatever coach mentioned this is 100% right. I think the only way to beat us right now is to force us to shoot uncharacteristically bad from the arc. We have enough shooters that it's hard for all of them to have an off night at once, but it's borderline impossible to beat us when we're consistently making 3's. Creighton really ran our shooters off the line and let Kalk clean up anything that got near the rim and we struggled because of it.
…and everyone has the tape yet has not replicated it.

The reason is: You have to be filling it up on the offensive end to set your D. You have to have a catch lightning ina bottle kind of night that Creighton had.

Might happen in the tourney, but only 6 more chances for a team to do it.

Reaction Score
I feel the same way about Shabazz. I’ve always felt that he had the highest basketball IQ of any player to ever step foot in Storrs. I think Karaban is challenging him for that crown though. They both have brilliant basketball minds, but then again so do Brady and Manning in football and neither of them will ever get into coaching.

Reaction Score
UConn would've pulled away from St. Mary's even if Alex Ducas kept playing, although it would've taken them longer. Ducas for the last 10 minutes of his playing time didn't score or do anything worthwhile. It's why I keep saying that San Diego St. was easily the toughest game for UConn last year. SDSU was only down by 5 points with 5 minutes to go-the game was very much in doubt at that point. No other team UConn played in the NCAAT can say that when there were 5 minutes left in the game.

Reaction Score
Yeah the "Only" thing Hawkins really did noticable better was be able to just rise and fire from a dead sprint around screens. Cam doesnt really have that same ability.
However the passing and playmaking is significantly better from Cam allowing an even more connected offense in the halfcourt.
And Cam’s mid-range game is fantastic - the best I’ve seen in a long time.

Reaction Score
More love from our boys in this ESPN article: Do coaches and scouts all agree it's UConn vs. the NCAA tournament field?

"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach," one coach said. "Could someone beat them? Sure. But they're a different level right now."

"I didn't think twice about it," one NBA scout said. "I know the statistics about reigning national championships, but with the type of year that this has been, with the relative inconsistency at the top, I'm not sure how you go against them. They're going to play practically four home games in Brooklyn and Boston, they have a guy like Donovan Clingan playing his best ball to date, a litany of shot-makers and shot-creators.
Pssh lame. Whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr