"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach." | The Boneyard

"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
More love from our boys in this ESPN article: Do coaches and scouts all agree it's UConn vs. the NCAA tournament field?

"UConn is the best team I've ever scouted in my 12 years as a coach," one coach said. "Could someone beat them? Sure. But they're a different level right now."

"I didn't think twice about it," one NBA scout said. "I know the statistics about reigning national championships, but with the type of year that this has been, with the relative inconsistency at the top, I'm not sure how you go against them. They're going to play practically four home games in Brooklyn and Boston, they have a guy like Donovan Clingan playing his best ball to date, a litany of shot-makers and shot-creators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
"Cam Spencer might be a little bit better of a college player [than Hawkins]," a Big East coach said. "And he'll be in the NBA for a long time. Spencer just makes so many winning plays ... whether they need a bucket, they need him to get a loose ball."
I doubt he projects to the NBA as well as Hawkins did (does), and it's fair to point out that Cam has three more years of college experience than Hawkins had, but there is zero doubt that Cam Spencer this year is a better college player than Jordan Hawkins was last year.

Reaction Score
I doubt he projects to the NBA as well as Hawkins did (does), and it's fair to point out that Cam has three more years of college experience than Hawkins had, but there is zero doubt that Cam Spencer this year is a better college player than Jordan Hawkins was last year.
I think the coach meant it as "Hawkins will be in the NBA for a long time, but Spencer is actually better at the college level" which is a point I've made since about January. Spencer does more on offense and fits with the other pieces better, despite giving something back athletically and on defense.

Reaction Score
Yeah the "Only" thing Hawkins really did noticable better was be able to just rise and fire from a dead sprint around screens. Cam doesnt really have that same ability.
However the passing and playmaking is significantly better from Cam allowing an even more connected offense in the halfcourt.

Reaction Score
One coach pointed out that two of UConn's worst 3-point shooting performances in Big East play were their two conference losses. The Huskies went 4-for-21 against Seton Hall and 3-for-16 against Creighton. Those were anomalies, as UConn led the Big East in 3-point percentage (38.2%) in conference play, but it's something worth watching.
Whatever coach mentioned this is 100% right. I think the only way to beat us right now is to force us to shoot uncharacteristically bad from the arc. We have enough shooters that it's hard for all of them to have an off night at once, but it's borderline impossible to beat us when we're consistently making 3's. Creighton really ran our shooters off the line and let Kalk clean up anything that got near the rim and we struggled because of it.

Reaction Score
Whatever coach mentioned this is 100% right. I think the only way to beat us right now is to force us to shoot uncharacteristically bad from the arc. We have enough shooters that it's hard for all of them to have an off night at once, but it's borderline impossible to beat us when we're consistently making 3's. Creighton really ran our shooters off the line and let Kalk clean up anything that got near the rim and we struggled because of it.
I think the caveat here is that, in order to do that, the other team needs to play hyper aggressive defensively along the perimeter and basically constantly foul off ball with defense that tight. Big East reffing lets that stuff go, but I don't think refs in the NCAA Tournament will allow that to happen. The game should be way more open with even more looks based on the changes in refereeing.

Reaction Score
I think the caveat here is that, in order to do that, the other team needs to play hyper aggressive defensively along the perimeter and basically constantly foul off ball with defense that tight. Big East reffing lets that stuff go, but I don't think refs in the NCAA Tournament will allow that to happen. The game should be way more open with even more looks based on the changes in refereeing.
For sure, and even if you're grabbing/fouling, it's really hard to chase our guys through screens for 40 minutes. Eventually we're gonna earn some good looks just through our activity.

Reaction Score
Love all the Warriors references, I was just thinking about this the other day. We remind me so much of those mid ‘10s Warriors teams, who were so clearly philosophically ahead of everyone else in the league.

College basketball is much slower to adapt, with many teams still playing archaic styles. It could be a while before anyone catches up..

Reaction Score
Kalk is also a unicorn defensively, no one else has him.

Reaction Score
For sure, and even if you're grabbing/fouling, it's really hard to chase our guys through screens for 40 minutes. Eventually we're gonna earn some good looks just through our activity.
You saw that with Marquette
Playing defense like that requires intense concentration and it’s almost tedious. In the last third of the game I think they just as much mentally tired out as physically. As noted it is so hard to keep up that level of intensity for 40 minutes. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Yeah the "Only" thing Hawkins really did noticable better was be able to just rise and fire from a dead sprint around screens. Cam doesnt really have that same ability.
However the passing and playmaking is significantly better from Cam allowing an even more connected offense in the halfcourt.
I think Cam is kind of in the John Stockton mold, fierce, active and makes plays with and without the ball.

Reaction Score
I don’t want the tournament to start. I want to revel in the attention this program is getting right now. And I’m going to want to step in front of a train if someone beats them.
The only thing that is giving me some peace of mind about potentially choking is that operating at this level is once again the standard at UConn. Dan Hurley will have us in contention every single year. Are we going to be 31-3 each year heading into the tournament? No. But we should be a 4 seed or better every single season from here on out

Reaction Score
I don’t want the tournament to start. I want to revel in the attention this program is getting right now. And I’m going to want to step in front of a train if someone beats them.
bm gd.gif

Reaction Score
Last year was house money after the sweet 16. This year every game will be complete agony.
Last year was kind of weird.

We desperately needed to get the monkey off our back against Iona.
Then the attitude was we should beat St. Mary's and get to the Sweet 16.
Then we were relieved to be in the second weekend and everything else was gravy.
Then Kansas lost and we felt we should beat Arkansas at least.
Then everyone's region fell apart and the Tournament was wide open and we felt "why not us?".

Reaction Score
I remember saying on here that UConn runs a NBA style offense that teams in the league even struggle to replicate. It’s true!

Reaction Score

Then we were relieved to be in the second weekend and everything else was gravy.
Then everyone's region fell apart and the Tournament was wide open and we felt "why not us?".
We were also the best team in the country in the non conference and had clearly started playing our best ball in the few weeks leading up to the tournament. No way should we have been a 4 seed but it didn’t matter.

Reaction Score

We had Adama and they didn't.

Reaction Score
I think Cam is kind of in the John Stockton mold, fierce, active and makes plays with and without the ball.
Agree, except that as I recall, Stockton was a pretty good defensive player and could keep up with who he was guarding on a consistent basis.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If teams try to play our perimeter tight we can put Donovan in Adama's role and have him play near the basket. Last year we could not put Adama in Donovan's role as a perimeter passer.

Last season we had two players in our starting lineup who were flawed in the offensive half court for their position. This season there are none.

We can play iso ball with Tristen, Stephon and the much improved Hasson.

Alex has improved driving to the basket

We had no backup for Alex last season. Hopefully Jalen can continue to be that player.

We are most vulnerable if Donovan gets into foul trouble or if we play three games in three days. Our guys move a lot and you can tell from all the front rimming several were playing on tired legs in the Marquette game.

Otherwise we are a nightmare for opposing teams defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom