UConn is good enough | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn is good enough

Reaction Score
you rope me into the dumbest arguments. this isn't 2011 when beating 5 teams, including #22, 3, 11, and 14, in the BET is going to jump us from #21 to a 3 seed in the tourney, never mind a 2 seed.

i know the selection committee doesnt just sort teams based on their rankings, duh, but the rankings are still wholistic and predictive of seeding. beating a ranked nova and pc wont improve our resume so drastically between now and selection sunday so as to warrant being considered a top 8 team in the tourney, especially if pc beats nova before then. it doesnt make any sense.
I didn’t say any of that. You’re arguing with yourself

Reaction Score
you rope me into the dumbest arguments. this isn't 2011 when beating 5 teams, including #22, 3, 11, and 14, in the BET is going to jump us from #21 to a 3 seed in the tourney, never mind a 2 seed.

i know the selection committee doesnt just sort teams based on their rankings, duh, but the rankings are still wholistic and predictive of seeding. beating a ranked nova and pc wont improve our resume so drastically between now and selection sunday so as to warrant being considered a top 8 team in the tourney, especially if pc beats nova before then. it doesnt make any sense.
If they win out, they have an outside shot at a 2. 26-7, perhaps over 10 Quad 1 wins (depending on what happens with some of our currently straddling opponents), tournament championship, etc.

Other teams—namely a team like Purdue or Duke—would have to falter a bit. But it's not unreasonable.

pj

Reaction Score
No no no. This is what we need to do. We do too much of that and when we do this good things happen. We’ve been doing that far too much and instead this is the recipe for a long tourney run. More of this, not that.

I disagree. That is what we need to do. We do too much of this and when we do that good things happen. We've been doing this far too much and instead that is the recipe for a long tourney run. More of that, not this.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'll be more than satisfied with a 2nd weekend performance and I think a 6 seed...with a few breaks...gets them there. A few more breaks and they'll play in a Saturday/Sunday game.

Reaction Score
Our over-reliance on RJ and Adama is our weakness and makes us fairly easy to scout, prepare for and defend imo.

I agree that we can make a nice run with the right match-ups, but sooner or later the lack of a second ball handler will be the death of us--sooner if neither Polley nor Hawkins are hitting from outside.

To that point, my only qualm with Kimani last night was going with the starting lineup when we were down two with 3:45 left. That's a strong lineup if you are trying to lock down and hold on to a lead, but not when you are down two and need a score. When he finally put Polley in with 30 seconds left, we finally scored; and still needed an off-balance prayer from RJ, followed by an even more unlikely charge call on Gillespie to seal it.

I don't think Kimani played Gaffney at all in the second half, which tells you everything about how much we are relying on RJ.
100% Nobody could have stated this better!!!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We know that UConn is not the best team in the country. The players each have obvious weaknesses, there is not enough production out of the bench, and I have never seen a Top 25 team have this much trouble finishing at the rim. But UConn can rebound with anyone, and this team has size, athleticism, speed, and just enough outside shooting. This team is good enough to beat any team in the country on any given day, as Villanova and Auburn have learned.

UConn needs to finish strong because seeding is going to matter a lot for this team. If UConn gets a good seed, there are only a small handful of teams (Gonzaga, UCLA, Baylor) that I would rather not see in UConn's region, but none of them are showstoppers. To be honest, I think there are a lot of overrated teams like Arizona, Kentucky and Purdue in the Top 10 that do not scare me at all.

The talent is already there for a deep run in March. Now it is up to the players and the coaches to play smart and with poise. This could turn into a very special season.

Why can't you admit the team is better than you thought? They are an elite team in every metric except for 2s, at which, yes, they are awful. But they are an elite offensive and defensive team.

Reaction Score
My son and I were discussing this from our seats. If the offensive strategy was to feed Adama no matter what, which is what dug us the hole that we were lucky but determined to climb out of, you can’t have both AJ and IW in at the same time. It’s too easy to double team the post and guard the perimeter with two non-shooters on it. If you are determined to feed the post in crunch time, Tyler has to come in for one of them.
This guy gets it. It drives me crazy that we constantly got Whaley feeding the post from the 3 point line into Sanogo. His man instantly runs and doubles Sanogo every time he dumps it to him.

Reaction Score
Our over-reliance on RJ and Adama is our weakness and makes us fairly easy to scout, prepare for and defend imo.

I agree that we can make a nice run with the right match-ups, but sooner or later the lack of a second ball handler will be the death of us--sooner if neither Polley nor Hawkins are hitting from outside.

To that point, my only qualm with Kimani last night was going with the starting lineup when we were down two with 3:45 left. That's a strong lineup if you are trying to lock down and hold on to a lead, but not when you are down two and need a score. When he finally put Polley in with 30 seconds left, we finally scored; and still needed an off-balance prayer from RJ, followed by an even more unlikely charge call on Gillespie to seal it.

I don't think Kimani played Gaffney at all in the second half, which tells you everything about how much we are relying on RJ.
We have a second ball handler and his name is AJ though I agree if we aren't shooting well from the outside I think sweet 16 is our limit depending on matchups. We need Polley to come through big the rest of the season like he did yesterday. I'm less confident in Hawkins with his shot but I hope he can find it. At least Hawkins brings Defense and rebounding when he is in.

Reaction Score
We should only be playing 8 guys. Our starters plus Polley and Akok and Hawkins. They are the only ones I trust.
Akok isn't going to play much. Sub Gaffney in there for minutes to rest Cole. He has to give us minutes as we have no other options on the bench.

Reaction Score
Ajax should be on the floor like he was at end of Nova game for the scoring line up. Having him in with Adama, RJ, Tyler and Rece works great b/c it gives optionally to have RJ off the ball and no one feeds the post better than Ajax.

Reaction Score
I think if we come off of this Nova win with confidence and have impressive wins to end the season, we will be a tough out. If we stumble in any of these three games and revert to low shooting percentages, we are doomed. Confidence is the fuel going into tourny season.

Reaction Score
When they are at their best they are a darkhorse FF team, they showed that in gutsy wins vs Auburn and Nova.

At their worst, they are a first-round flameout in a game similar to Maryland last year, perhaps even worse.

If they get a bad matchup, like last year, and play poorly, it could be a long 40 minutes. If they are firing on all cylinders, the whole country better watch out and I don't think there is a team they can't beat, IF they are playing to potential.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
When the goal is to make four defenders stay on the perimeter, sitting Martin isn't a possibility. You have to sit AJ or Whaley. Both of those players make the team better in a lot of ways, no doubt. But if you are playing the game one possession at a time, where there are frequent play stoppages and offense/defense subs, and you are determined to feed the post, it has to happen.

If you want to space the floor for 3 pointers, we should play Whaley and Sanogo together.

Reaction Score
A seven-loss team pulling a 2 seed?
I’m mostly just proud I remembered this, but we had 7 losses in 2005 and got a 2 seed. Of course I think that was a surprise and people were expecting a 3.

Reaction Score
I disagree. That is what we need to do. We do too much of this and when we do that good things happen. We've been doing this far too much and instead that is the recipe for a long tourney run. More of that, not this.
You can’t be serious. THAT!?

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I’m mostly just proud I remembered this, but we had 7 losses in 2005 and got a 2 seed. Of course I think that was a surprise and people were expecting a 3.
Maybe a bump for JC (and the defending champs) similar to how K and Izzo always seem to be overseeded? Speaking of which, maybe Wright does get that bump up to 2 if they win out. The best scenario for Nova may actually be something like a four, in which case the committee MIGHT be able to get way with sticking them in the Philly region.

Reaction Score
We have a big enough array of talent to beat anyone when we are playing right and the defense has jelled which keeps us in every game. Hurley did that with even the Hawk stepping up. Jackson too. There I said it.

Reaction Score
Maybe a bump for JC (and the defending champs) similar to how K and Izzo always seem to be overseeded? Speaking of which, maybe Wright does get that bump up to 2 if they win out. The best scenario for Nova may actually be something like a four, in which case the committee MIGHT be able to get way with sticking them in the Philly region.
the better their seed the better chance they have of Philly

Reaction Score
the better their seed the better chance they have of Philly
With a 1 definitely but you think they’d set up somebody like an Auburn to play a glorified road game in the regional final? Then again, a Nova 4 would move that same disadvantage up a round.

Reaction Score
We need to have daily affirmations to say that we're good enough. Where's Stuart Smalley?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We should only be playing 8 guys. Our starters plus Polley and Akok and Hawkins. They are the only ones I trust.
As much as I agree that we should shorten the lineup, we NEED Gaffney to be that extra ball handler. If a 2 guard lineup with him and Cole can get any traction that would be wonderful. Plus if Cole is leaving this year we need Gaffney to show us something for next year.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
As much as I agree that we should shorten the lineup, we NEED Gaffney to be that extra ball handler. If a 2 guard lineup with him and Cole can get any traction that would be wonderful. Plus if Cole is leaving this year we need Gaffney to show us something for next year.
I would much rather put Jackson at the 1 on offense to put Cole at the 2. This is not meant to trash him, but Gaffney is not a Big East caliber player. He'd been good in the A-10 or CAA or MVC. He's just not good enough. I will never forget his performance last year against Maryland when everyone gave up but he's just not talented enough and there's nothing wrong with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom