UConn is Back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn is Back

Reaction Score
Everyone realizes we won 4 national championships while playing in the American, right?
Yes. But unbridled enthusiasm that UCONN is back to playing championship form based upon beating up AAC opponents down the stretch is difficult to understand. Not one of those teams will be in the tournament for good reason. Its not hard to look much improved vs. that slate, and tbh, nobody knows if UCONN is really improved until they play another top 10 level team. Even the one decent win this year vs DePaul was a fairly competitive game, and they are nowhere close to a top tier team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Yes. But unbridled enthusiasm that UCONN is back to playing championship form based upon beating up AAC opponents down the stretch is difficult to understand. Not one of those teams will be in the tournament for good reason. Its not hard to look much improved vs. that slate, and tbh, nobody knows if UCONN is really improved until they play another top 10 level team. Even the one decent win this year vs DePaul was a fairly competitive game, and they are nowhere close to a top tier team.

What you say is true however UConn was up over 35 pts in everygame and 40+ before clearing the bench very early in a couple of those games. Along with their execution I think we have a real good chance to make the FF. It will depend on our execution. I dont look at games earlier in the season as we were not playing like we are now. We are a different team now. Yeah we're young and inexperienced while other teams have more experience.

Reaction Score
What you say is true however UConn was up over 35 pts in everygame and 40+ before clearing the bench very early in a couple of those games. Along with their execution I think we have a real good chance to make the FF. It will depend on our execution. I dont look at games earlier in the season as we were not playing like we are now. We are a different team now. Yeah we're young and inexperienced while other teams have more experience.

Again, progress measured by AAC teams might be an illusion. And UCONN isn’t as young as several top tier teams so that really isn’t noteworthy.

Reaction Score
I was in the "Glass Half Empty" crowd (No Final Four) - But I have put on my "Rose Colored Glasses" and joined the "Glass Half Full" crowd. Various posters have convinced me that because the team has improved so much that a final four is a real possibility and that warms my heart.

Reaction Score

I'm not one of the "unbridled enthusiasm" posters. However, your post overlooks a number of factors. First, no one can deny that UConn is playing better over the past month than earlier in the year. They are shooting better, defending much more aggressively, and have figured out how to work the freshman into the rotation. Second, UConn hasn't stumbled as they have come down the stretch. Take a look at the "top tier" teams that you have referenced and you will see that a number of them have fallen to teams on the level (or below) of the teams that UConn is blowing out. Iowa State? Syracuse? Finally, putting aside that the DePaul game was a long time ago, DePaul is "nowhere close" to being a top tier team? They are ranked 14th. Who gets to fit into this select club, and how is it that the rest of the teams in the country are "nowhere close."

Look, I get that UConn still has to prove its case and has a hard road ahead of it to get back to the Final Four. But the way I see it, there are two favorites to win it all and another five with a chance. And UConn is one of them. That's my top tier. I don't see that as unbridled enthusiasm, I see that as a realistic assessment of where we are.

Reaction Score
Again, progress measured by AAC teams might be an illusion. And UCONN isn’t as young as several top tier teams so that really isn’t noteworthy.

It might be an illusion, but it's the only measure that we have. And as for youth, out of our six-player rotation, four are freshmen and sophomores, with only one senior. Again, I don't know who's in your "top tier," but not many younger than that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Everyone realizes we won 4 national championships while playing in the American, right?
Actually it was 3, the first one during the Stewie Era UConn was still in the Big East.

Reaction Score
South Carolina is a young team. However, they have a senior point guard and power forward that are a big part of their success, much like UConn.

One of the sports show talking heads, (don't remember which one) feels that there won't be a lot of upsets in the women's tournament this year. Chalk will hold. I tend to agree with that assessment. If the Huskies can continue to shoot in the mid 50's overall and the mid to uppers 30's percentage wise from the three point line while hitting on 75% oto 80% on free throws while continuing their energy on the defensive side of the ball, I like their chances to challenge for a Final Four slot.

Reaction Score
I wonder, Tony, if optimists suffer more disappointment than pessimists. If an optimist is correct, than the result was expected; if not, what then? You'd know the answer to that one.
Geno said (yesterday) that this team will be remembered by what they do going forward. Games before the tournament don't really matter, said Coach. Winning the godawful AAC is especially not indicative of what's to come. For me, success this season will only come when UConn beats one GOOD team. If they confront a good team, get punched in the face (again), will they punch back? My standard isn't that high: just beat one GOOD team. Show the Husky pride, understand what matters here, don't fold. Set the stage for what's coming next year. Woman up. The next NC is just ahead.
It's gotten to the point, what constitutes a good team to this board??? Outside of the three teams we've gotten beat by, is there any other team we could beat that would convince certain people here that we've beaten a good team? Is North Carolina State a "good team" or is Louisville or Mississippi State or Stanford? What qualifies here? Just asking.

Reaction Score
UConn has played the three top-ranked teams-the teams it will likely have to defeat to win a national championship. UConn knows what it will be facing. Since those games, UConn has become a much better team, almost a different team,and now has time to heal and hone their skills.

The weapon that can neutralize disadvantages in size and experience is the three pointer and UConn is the best in the country in that category, with four of the starting five all deadly, If the shots go in, UConn can beat anyone.
I don't consider any of the Huskies "deadly" insofar as three point shooting. The Huskies have a few players that on a good night, are quite good but there's a big difference in shooting three's against mediocre defenses and those that press and test you. I'm not trying to be Mr. Doom but until they've shown the type shooting you're suggesting, against a high quality defensive team, the jury is still out.

Reaction Score
Whatever happens this year, they now have a defined style of play that is their identity with 4 starters returning next year plus Evina ( who knows the system) and the recruits. This tight, aggressive defense and up tempo offense will be here to stay. As all the announcers said against Cincy, this is a different UCONN team than it was one month ago. We will see what the extent of the difference is probably in the Elite 8 but for now I am very impressed with how the team was transformed. Perhaps it was a gradual transformation, but I didn't see that. I saw a brand new style because of the defense and after the SC game and it is pure UCONN.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

They are clearly playing a better style of ball with lots of ball movement, screening and back cuts. That is very different than the middle part of the season when we looked so stagnant and everyone noticed it . Even when playing poor AAC competition and beating them handily, it was the same non UConn style

Now, we have qualitatively changed the way we are doing things and as Geno says he is being pushed into dictating more sets andplays since this team needs more structure than prior read react teams so until we are beaten, I am very optimistic and even if we are beaten by a better team, as long as we play with purpose and do not look like a deer in headlights, that is ok for me.

Reaction Score
They are clearly playing a better style of ball with lots of ball movement, screening and back cuts. That is very different than the middle part of the season when we looked so stagnant and everyone noticed it . Even when playing poor AAC competition and beating them handily, it was the same non UConn style

Now, we have qualitatively changed the way we are doing things and as Geno says he is being pushed into dictating more sets andplays since this team needs more structure than prior read react teams so until we are beaten, I am very optimistic and even if we are beaten by a better team, as long as we play with purpose and do not look like a deer in headlights, that is ok for me.
And for me too.

Reaction Score
The team is certainly improved, no question, but what is yet to be tested is the mindset going into the hopefully inevitable matchup with one of the “elite” teams. A large part of the problem with those earlier matchups IMO was mental, what seemed to be a collective lack of confidence they could win, if you will. Has that changed along with the improved execution? No one will know until the ball gets thrown up.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The team is certainly improved, no question, but what is yet to be tested is the mindset going into the hopefully inevitable matchup with one of the “elite” teams. A large part of the problem with those earlier matchups IMO was mental, what seemed to be a collective lack of confidence they could win, if you will. Has that changed along with the improved execution? No one will know until the ball gets thrown up.
I agree 100% with your post. Lack of confidence. Why was there lack of confidence then and not now. Execution, passing the damm ball, playing as a team by passing and not playing dribble dribble and try to score on your own. Your right we wont know until we're in that situation. My thought is by passing the ball and getting somebody open will get us open shots. Everybody will be active and not standing around waiting for somebody to make a play. The only play is the next play and that next play right now is a pass so their shouldnt be any pressure but we will have to wait and see. Wouldnt it be somethin to win the game at the buzzer..

Reaction Score
3. 2013-14 was the first year of the American. UConn won NCs in 2014, 2015, and 2016. If they win it this year then it will be 4.

(If you also include the men’s team then you are correct that UConn won 4 NCs in the American because the men also won a NC in 2014).

Reaction Score
I expect that UConn will make the elite 8 (regional final). Their improved play will give them a good chance to make the final 4. If they make the final 4 they will prove to everyone, including themselves, they could go ALL THE WAY. However, if they revert to mid-season form (stagnant offense with poor shooting and a defense that doesn't generate transition baskets) they might not even meet expectations.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
3. 2013-14 was the first year of the American. UConn won NCs in 2014, 2015, and 2016. If they win it this year then it will be 4.

(If you also include the men’s team then you are correct that UConn won 4 NCs in the American because the men also won a NC in 2014).
I love pointing out to the elitist snobs of the so-called power conferences that the American Athletic Conference, in its very short 6-year existence, has won as many NCAA WBB titles as it took the ACC twenty-five years to win, and as many as the SEC has won in the past twenty-one years.

Reaction Score
I agree 100% with your post. Lack of confidence. Why was there lack of confidence then and not now. Execution, passing the damm ball, playing as a team by passing and not playing dribble dribble and try to score on your own. Your right we wont know until we're in that situation. My thought is by passing the ball and getting somebody open will get us open shots. Everybody will be active and not standing around waiting for somebody to make a play. The only play is the next play and that next play right now is a pass so their shouldnt be any pressure but we will have to wait and see. Wouldnt it be somethin to win the game at the buzzer..

I do not share your view on confidence then and now. There can be a completely different mindset playing a team you pretty much know you will beat with the only question being by how much versus playing a team you know can beat you even if you play a good game. Hopefully we shall see.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What is sad is that the wins we had were big at the time then those teams just fell apart... Notre Dame, Tennessee.... to name a few. What is going to really irk me is that Tennessee will still be invited...

A lot of UConn fans have a sour taste in their mouths about the losses to 3 top 10 teams this year. Can you imagine the frustration and "ire" those fans would have if UConn had lost to Notre Dame and Tennessee?
At the beginning of the season, those were deemed VERY BIG games, and UConn did what they were expected and needed to do.

True, UConn did not have any wins against the top ranked teams on their schedule. But they also didn't have any bad losses. Unlike many other top ranked teams, UConn didn't lose a game to an unranked opponent or to a team they were supposed to beat.

They can still extract a measure of fulfillment by reaching the final four. That IS NOT an impossible task. That would mean beating the #1 seed in whatever region they are assigned to. Charlie Creme does not make the brackets. He makes educated guess just like the rest of us. UConn may not end up in the Portland region. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think UConn fans are more concerned about what region UConn is assigned to, rather than who's in it. We know who the #1 seeds will be. Unless the #1 seeds some how are upset before the final weekend, UConn would have to beat 3 of the four #1 seeds to win the NC. A bridge too far?, we'll see. That can't be concerned about that yet.

The most important game on their schedule is whoever they draw that first game next week. You don't look beyond the next game! It will be a team you've probably never played before. An "at-large" team who's happy they made the tournament, and who would do anything to win that first game. For a long time, on selection Monday, no team wanted to be assigned to UConn's region because they knew that was a death sentence. UConn was going to come out of it's region regardless of who was in it.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Yes. But I'd like to think we would have won those championships regardless of whatever were conference we were in. The Stewart era teams where "elite". Had no fear, and played like it! UConn had that swagger then, and teams knew they could not beat UConn during those years. If they had to play them, fine, they did. But they knew their chances of winning were slim to none because UConn (at that time) was blowing out and destroying all comers by 30-40+ points.

That BIG gap between UConn and the rest of D-1 WCBB was still prevalent. You are never concerned about the bottom half of a conference. They are NOT a threat at to you. It's the top half that you have to be concerned about. Look at the graphic below:

1583953251508.png

The top 7 teams (down to Georgia Tech) would be of concern to UConn if they were in the ACC this year. Of course you respect EVERY team on your schedule, and you don't take any of them lightly, BUT...... in reality there are certain ones you know are going to take an A+ game effort to beat. The likes of Tulsa, Memphis, Houston and ECU, all of whom had sub .500 records this year did not keep Geno up at night worrying about how his team was going to beat them. Game recognizes game!! Kudos to UConn for winning the games they were supposed to win!! Unlike 2 Baylor who lost to unranked Iowa State, or 4 Louisville that loss to 22 Florida State last week.

It was a foregone conclusion that not only would UConn get to the final four, but that they were the odds on favorites to win it, as they did! Maryland will be a #1 seed going in, but does anyone really think they have a snowball's chance in hades of beating any of the other 3 to win the NC? :eek: Maryland against the field (other 1 seeds), who ya got?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Carnac have you seen a recent Maryland game? Discount them at your peril...

Reaction Score
UConn women's basketball is thrilling ball right now. It's showtime ball!

Reaction Score
Why has UConn found their way in last few weeks? Easy. Anna and Aubrey. Plus Liv improving her game. We knew what Meg and Crystal could do and while CW was in a funk for a while, it mainly took a few well timed passes from Anna to bring her back. It takes time for freshman to find their game. Aubrey hasn’t found her offensive game yet but defensively, as Anna said, she was AAC defensive player of the year. Anna is prepared to do whatever is needed from her. It turns out that is virtually everything. Will it get us to FF and a NC? Maybe not but it will be fun watching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom