UConn is Back | The Boneyard

UConn is Back

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well UConn has arrived. They are executing like UConn teams in the past and scoring alot of points while executing a stifiling defense. I like where we are and the improvement has been just great. So what does the future look like this season with the NCAAs coming up. We are ranked 5 in the lastest polls. I got sick listening to all the media talking about UConn has to go to Oregon because LVille and NC State are draws. Let me tell ya'll somethin. UConn is a draw no matter where they go and UConn fans will travel to SC or IN to see their team. Some of those same fans may not travel to Oregon. With that said Stanford would be a bigger draw in Oregon then in another region. With the Rules posted by one of our fans yesterday regarding seeding Stanford can play Oregon in the Regional Final and imo that would draw a huge crowd.

I heard what Geno said last nite and I kinda feel he said it just because. There are alot of things that have been going on this season that many fans dont know about. Geno imo has shown class, first class not bringing them up. With that said I believe UConn will end up someplace other then Oregon. It will depend on where the Selection Committee places teams.

So here we are at the end of the season. Back in June we didnt know who was going to start. Where we would get players and what would Geno do. Many thought Geno had lost his touch with so many players to elsewhere. Now look at us. We are in a good place right now. Anna and Griff have energed as very good players and theyre only freshman. CW is showing signs of improvment and becoming the player we thought she would be. Liv has done a great job getting better and producing for this team. CD and Meg well theyve been solid. Wehave the talent and its tournament time. I believe they will rise to the top.

Moving ahead I like our chances alot. One weakness we have is we lack experience because we have so many underclassman. That could hurt us down the road against a team with more upper classman. However we have balance on both sides of the ball. We are playing UConn basketball with terrific passing and less dribbleing. The more I watch other teams and see alot of dribbleing the more I would like to play those teams. Still the key is Liv. She must stay out of foul trouble for UConn to be effective.

So now we wait for Selection Monday. We wait to see where we go and who we play. IMO Oregon is the best team in the country even though SC is ranked number 1 in the polls. With that said UConn ranked 5 and imo better then MD LVille Stanford and NC State should not be going to Oregon, but I dont make that decision just like the media doesnt make that decision. The selection committee makes it and it will be interesting to see who goes where. So we wait

Reaction Score
Well UConn has arrived. They are executing like UConn teams in the past and scoring alot of points while executing a stifiling defense. I like where we are and the improvement has been just great. So what does the future look like this season with the NCAAs coming up. We are ranked 5 in the lastest polls. I got sick listening to all the media talking about UConn has to go to Oregon because LVille and NC State are draws. Let me tell ya'll somethin. UConn is a draw no matter where they go and UConn fans will travel to SC or IN to see their team. Some of those same fans may not travel to Oregon. With that said Stanford would be a bigger draw in Oregon then in another region. With the Rules posted by one of our fans yesterday regarding seeding Stanford can play Oregon in the Regional Final and imo that would draw a huge crowd.

I heard what Geno said last nite and I kinda feel he said it just because. There are alot of things that have been going on this season that many fans dont know about. Geno imo has shown class, first class not bringing them up. With that said I believe UConn will end up someplace other then Oregon. It will depend on where the Selection Committee places teams.

So here we are at the end of the season. Back in June we didnt know who was going to start. Where we would get players and what would Geno do. Many thought Geno had lost his touch with so many players to elsewhere. Now look at us. We are in a good place right now. Anna and Griff have energed as very good players and theyre only freshman. CW is showing signs of improvment and becoming the player we thought she would be. Liv has done a great job getting better and producing for this team. CD and Meg well theyve been solid. Wehave the talent and its tournament time. I believe they will rise to the top.

Moving ahead I like our chances alot. One weakness we have is we lack experience because we have so many underclassman. That could hurt us down the road against a team with more upper classman. However we have balance on both sides of the ball. We are playing UConn basketball with terrific passing and less dribbleing. The more I watch other teams and see alot of dribbleing the more I would like to play those teams. Still the key is Liv. She must stay out of foul trouble for UConn to be effective.

So now we wait for Selection Monday. We wait to see where we go and who we play. IMO Oregon is the best team in the country even though SC is ranked number 1 in the polls. With that said UConn ranked 5 and imo better then MD LVille Stanford and NC State should not be going to Oregon, but I dont make that decision just like the media doesnt make that decision. The selection committee makes it and it will be interesting to see who goes where. So we wait
To quote the prologue from CASABLANCA "..................and wait and wait and wait".

Reaction Score
If we can go to Oregon Regional and win, we can probably win the NC. If we went to Dallas, we would have a much better chance of winning there, but not necessarily prove to be NC level. Ft. Wayne would be a walk but what would that prove in the end. Playing against South Carolina and winning there would signal a very good shot at NC. So why not beat Oregon at Regionals in what could have been a NC game? Lose and then we know it’s time to think about what needs to be done to win in 2021. If the only goal, like the NFL, is to win the big one, why prolong?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Good to know. Where were we?

Reaction Score
If we can go to Oregon Regional and win, we can probably win the NC. If we went to Dallas, we would have a much better chance of winning there, but necessarily prove to be NC level. Ft. Wayne would be a walk but what would that prove in the end. Playing against South Carolina and winning there would signal a very good shot at NC. So why not beat Oregon at Regionals in what could have been a NC game? Lose and then we know it’s time to think about what needs to be done to win in 2021. If the only goal, like the NFL, is to win the big one, why prolong?
Good logic!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn to Oregon period.
Too much complaining.
I dont think a fan base of "older fans" which I am, and which I saw at last years AAC tournament at MS, are traveling that much this year.
Get it over with this year, go to Oregon.
Not making it to the FF isnt a death sentence.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
UConn to Oregon period.
Too much complaining.
I dont think a fan base of "older fans" which I am, and which I saw at last years AAC tournament at MS, are traveling that much this year.
Get it over with this year, go to Oregon.
Not making it to the FF isnt a death sentence.
I guess people can say this seeing how we are seeking our 13th straight FF and the nearest team to us in consecutive FFs will be seeking their 3rd????? (I am guessing here, not a fact.)

Reaction Score
Back where? LOL :) Your enthusiasm is overwhelming. :):):):) I admire that. Well, let's just sit back and enjoy the basketball and see what happens and how far they can go. Maybe somewhere between Elite 8 and final four. Remember, after the first two teams, they are not playing AAC comprobable teams. And, who knows, maybe the number one team gets knocked off here and there to open that door.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I guess people can say this seeing how we are seeking our 13th straight FF and the nearest team to us in consecutive FFs will be seeking their 3rd????? (I am guessing here, not a fact.)
Second consecutive and it would be Baylor or Oregon. If Norte Dame had made it they would be going for their third consecutive final four. There is one team that has played in more than four consecutive final fours and it isn't Tennessee, but they're from the same conference and they had five consecutive final fours.......LSU.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The question to me is what will this team do when it gets punched in the mouth by one of the top three teams. I feel like we are in a much better place than we were, but I don't have the answer to that question.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Second consecutive and it would be Baylor or Oregon. If Norte Dame had made it they would be going for their third consecutive final four. There is one team that has played in more than four consecutive final fours and it isn't Tennessee, but they're from the same conference and they had five consecutive final fours.......LSU.
So did ND. 2011-15.

Reaction Score

I wonder, Tony, if optimists suffer more disappointment than pessimists. If an optimist is correct, than the result was expected; if not, what then? You'd know the answer to that one.
Geno said (yesterday) that this team will be remembered by what they do going forward. Games before the tournament don't really matter, said Coach. Winning the godawful AAC is especially not indicative of what's to come. For me, success this season will only come when UConn beats one GOOD team. If they confront a good team, get punched in the face (again), will they punch back? My standard isn't that high: just beat one GOOD team. Show the Husky pride, understand what matters here, don't fold. Set the stage for what's coming next year. Woman up. The next NC is just ahead.

Reaction Score
I don't know. It isn't like we fell out of the top 20. i just think we have taken a slight step back from before. I saw all the games they lost and they were missing shots left and right against Oregon and South Carolina. Maybe the defense was confusing them but they had shots and were missing. Ania and Aubrey were not near how they are playing now also. The game against Baylor was close until the last few minutes that made it look worse than it actually was. I am excited to see how the im provement in the play works in the tournament. Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Amazing how much confidence springs forth from running thru the AAC slate late in the year.

Reaction Score
When was the last time Uconn had zero quality wins like this season?
What is sad is that the wins we had were big at the time then those teams just fell apart... Notre Dame, Tennessee.... to name a few. What is going to really irk me is that Tennessee will still be invited...

Reaction Score

Way too harsh an assessment. Last Coaches Poll has DePaul at 14. Are only wins against the top 13 teams “quality wins?”

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You'd have to go way back. And it depends on what you mean by "quality wins."

2005 was the worst season of the past quarter-century. UConn entered the tournament 23-7 and received a #3 seed. They had five top-25 RPI wins: two wins over Rutgers (NCAA #3 seed), two wins over Notre Dame (#4 seed), and a win over Texas (#3 seed).

The 7 losses were to (NCAA seeding):
North Carolina (1)
Michigan State (1)
Tennessee (1)
Rutgers (3)
Notre Dame (4)
Arizona State (5)
Boston College (7)

So while UConn in 2005 had some slightly better wins than UConn in 2020, that team also had worse losses.

Reaction Score
First of all, Notre Dame and Tennessee are certainly not in any "Little Sisters Of The Poor" conference. Yes, the Irish were off this year because of graduation losses and injuries but with their recruiting classes coming in and with proper coaching they will be back to where they were in the past. Secondly, just about any coach or program in women's basketball would be turning cartwheels with the season we have had so far. We have seen Megan Walker come into her own. Ono has progressed to the point where we can be happy to have her as a center for the next two years. Ana and Aubrey had evolved in their freshmen year much faster and much better than anyone could have realized and we have at least two players coming in next year who could possible be starters. So all in all I would already consider this season a success and anything else we can get is a bonus.

Reaction Score
UConn has played the three top-ranked teams-the teams it will likely have to defeat to win a national championship. UConn knows what it will be facing. Since those games, UConn has become a much better team, almost a different team,and now has time to heal and hone their skills.

The weapon that can neutralize disadvantages in size and experience is the three pointer and UConn is the best in the country in that category, with four of the starting five all deadly, If the shots go in, UConn can beat anyone.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Back where? LOL :) Your enthusiasm is overwhelming. :):):):) I admire that. Well, let's just sit back and enjoy the basketball and see what happens and how far they can go. Maybe somewhere between Elite 8 and final four. Remember, after the first two teams, they are not playing AAC comprobable teams. And, who knows, maybe the number one team gets knocked off here and there to open that door.

Interesting that you should say that. What are the odds that all 4 one seeds make it to the FF?

Reaction Score
ok the difference here is league competition.
im sick and tired of the narrative... UConn looks great right now, UConn is back, UConn should be a 1-seed, etc. - yes, they definitely are playing better... but they are playing teams not good enough to make the tourney. i would say its safe to compare almost every team in the AAC to a 1st round (maybe 2nd round) game in the NCAA.

the way the team is constructed, they could play the way they did in the AAC tourney and still lose to baylor, south carolina and/or oregon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom