UConn is a different team now | The Boneyard

UConn is a different team now

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well here we go again. Another group that that will need to build chemistry cohesion continuity and confidence. Hopefully we will need to do it just one more time and thats when Paige gets back. We are really really good with Christyn and Azzi back and will be almost unbeatable when Paige gets back. We've got things happening that we didnt have a few months ago. Liv and Dorka have stepped up. Caroline has become a Star and now with Azzi back and Paige on her way back in a few weeks well we are gonna be a very very tuff out. I really believe we win the NC this season.

When we played SC earlier in the season we trailed by 3 after 3 qtrs. We played LVIlle and lost by 3 pts. Oregon we lost by 12 pts. Now look at where we are now. This team has so many weapons and most importantly we have Caroline and Azzi who want the ball when we need a basket and they know they can deliver. Now add Paige back and we are head and shoulders ahead of every team in the country and its because we have great guard play and players who can make plays. We also have twin towers and depth on the bench. Many teams lack great point guard play. UConn doesnt. Right now we have depth at every position. With Christyn and Azzi back we can begin to rebuild our chemistry and work everybody into the system. With Christyn and Azzi back it will allow Caroline more freedom and less double teaming on Dorka and Liv. Its a heck of alot easier to learn Genos system when you step into the lineup and have 4 team mates who already know how to run plays. Its not like you have spokes in a wheel that arent working together, and thats where we've been.

To go from where we were to where we are now with still over 5 weeks to go to the NCAAs we are in a good spot so long as we remain healthy. Dont expect to see Christyn and Azzi to see alot of minutes this weekend. They still need to get up to speed and with Creighton coming up and we have Tenn in a week. So we need to remain healthy. This is gonna be a fun time with Christyn and Azzi back. Tenn will be a tuff matchup and I really dont think we loose that game.

Yeah UConn is a different team now and should go undefeated the rest of the season. A win over Tenn will go a long way in the seedings and even if we are a 2 seed and not a 1 seed we will be in Bridgeport. One thought about shipping UConn out of CT. Ticket prices are high in CT and with UConn in CT it will sell out. Thats alot of money for the NCAA. I would expect if UConn is shipped out many UConn supporters will ask for refunds and that will hurt.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well here we go again. Another group that that will need to build chemistry cohesion continuity and confidence. Hopefully we will need to do it just one more time and thats when Paige gets back. We are really really good with Christyn and Azzi back and will be almost unbeatable when Paige gets back. We've got things happening that we didnt have a few months ago. Liv and Dorka have stepped up. Caroline has become a Star and now with Azzi back and Paige on her way back in a few weeks well we are gonna be a very very tuff out. I really believe we win the NC this season.

When we played SC earlier in the season we trailed by 3 after 3 qtrs. We played LVIlle and lost by 3 pts. Oregon we lost by 12 pts. Now look at where we are now. This team has so many weapons and most importantly we have Caroline and Azzi who want the ball when we need a basket and they know they can deliver. Now add Paige back and we are head and shoulders ahead of every team in the country and its because we have great guard play and players who can make plays. We also have twin towers and depth on the bench. Many teams lack great point guard play. UConn doesnt. Right now we have depth at every position. With Christyn and Azzi back we can begin to rebuild our chemistry and work everybody into the system. With Christyn and Azzi back it will allow Caroline more freedom and less double teaming on Dorka and Liv. Its a heck of alot easier to learn Genos system when you step into the lineup and have 4 team mates who already know how to run plays. Its not like you have spokes in a wheel that arent working together, and thats where we've been.

To go from where we were to where we are now with still over 5 weeks to go to the NCAAs we are in a good spot so long as we remain healthy. Dont expect to see Christyn and Azzi to see alot of minutes this weekend. They still need to get up to speed and with Creighton coming up and we have Tenn in a week. So we need to remain healthy. This is gonna be a fun time with Christyn and Azzi back. Tenn will be a tuff matchup and I really dont think we loose that game.

Yeah UConn is a different team now and should go undefeated the rest of the season. A win over Tenn will go a long way in the seedings and even if we are a 2 seed and not a 1 seed we will be in Bridgeport. One thought about shipping UConn out of CT. Ticket prices are high in CT and with UConn in CT it will sell out. Thats alot of money for the NCAA. I would expect if UConn is shipped out many UConn supporters will ask for refunds and that will hurt.

I disagree with Geno limiting Azzi or Christyn. If they are medically cleared, they will play alot to build up as much continuity before the TN game as possible.

Reaction Score

Hard to know how the TV / media money for the NCAA's is split but it would seem to dwarf the gate. In the past, the local favorites who did well during the season, had a better shot at hosting in the women's game than the mens. That may be changing to level the opportunities on the court.

Reaction Score

Love your confidence Tony, but we don’t have any concrete information regarding when Paige actually does get back and how long it might take her to contribute after her return. Although I must say that I didn’t expect Azzi to contribute immediately upon her return.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I am trying hard to contain my own enthusiasm for what I saw in Caroline, Christyn, Azzi, Dorka, Liv, Nika. I can not wait until the whole gang is together and firing on all cylinders. To calm down I have this mantra, "We struggled to beat an unranked team with a last second basket." Say that 5 times and the euphoria will dissipate to cautious optimism.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There are lots of reasons for optimism. There are also reasons for concern or caution. No idea what is going on with Evina and Aaliyah, but even if we get Paige back, if they continue to be "useless" (or "less than" if you prefer), we will have a core group of "only" 7.

Paige, Christyn, CD, Dorka, Liv, Nika, and Azzi. Certainly do-able, but with no post players off the bench for big games, it's a lot of pressure on Liv and Dorka. And with Liv getting manhandled and outplayed by a 6'1" freshman, I'm not inclined to acknowledge we can totally rely on her either.

A lot of things need to improve for us over the rest of the season. We know a bit ago, Geno lamented that 2 players on the team don't give enough effort, and others don't listen. Has that changed? Will Evina and Liya get back to the players we think/know they can be? Will the team revert back to "Let's let Paige carry us, and I don't want the ball in crunch time", or will the newfound confidence of players like Azzi and CD continue to blossom?

I am cautiously optimistic. :D

Reaction Score
Folks we beat an unranked team by 2 points. I’d hardly say we are world beaters.

The result and play was very encouraging, but it’s 1 game. Fans have this weird belief that things will only get better from here — but we know that’s not true for Frosh, they take steps forward and back all year. And don’t forget that DePaul didn’t prep for Azzi.

Reaction Score
Folks we beat an unranked team by 2 points. I’d hardly say we are world beaters.

The result and play was very encouraging, but it’s 1 game. Fans have this weird belief that things will only get better from here — but we know that’s not true for Frosh, they take steps forward and back all year. And don’t forget that DePaul didn’t prep for Azzi.
True about not yet being world beaters. But then again, a current #1 seed (from the committee’s reveal) lost to a team that was 0-7 in the SEC. at least we won.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Anyone that doesn’t think we’re a better team with Christyn and Azzi aren’t paying attention. Christyn and Azzi had 32 points between them. UConn won by two points. If Christyn and Azzi are on the bench, where do those 32 points come from? In this game, having 8 players available in our rotation was much better than having 6. I doubt we win that game without both players.

Reaction Score
Agree with #12 prediction, but for that to happen, we still need to beef up our inside presence. Counting on Dorka to do this as she continues to develop, and also counting on Aaliyah to regain form with more focused mission. They can do this. Everything else seems to be falling into place- assuming a successful return by Paige. And our bigs, nail free throws please!

Reaction Score

Well, I agree…at full strength, we have a legit shot at the NC. BUT, just because an injured player returns, there should be no need to rebuild your 4 Cs. Every team has players returning from illness and injury. They practice…..they play. They know what they need to do. They just have to execute.

I don’t have a lot of Kudos for struggling against a lesser BE team or being dominated in the paint by a 6’1” freshman (please, no more crying about fouls. My iPad is starting to rust. We were out hustled underneath…..simple as that). But, I think a positive came out of it with a last second win. That helps with a couple of your Cs.

The team that played the other night can beat TN. Cut down on the turnovers, make the layups and at least break even in the paint.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are lots of reasons for optimism. There are also reasons for concern or caution. No idea what is going on with Evina and Aaliyah, but even if we get Paige back, if they continue to be "useless" (or "less than" if you prefer), we will have a core group of "only" 7.

Paige, Christyn, CD, Dorka, Liv, Nika, and Azzi. Certainly do-able, but with no post players off the bench for big games, it's a lot of pressure on Liv and Dorka. And with Liv getting manhandled and outplayed by a 6'1" freshman, I'm not inclined to acknowledge we can totally rely on her either.

A lot of things need to improve for us over the rest of the season. We know a bit ago, Geno lamented that 2 players on the team don't give enough effort, and others don't listen. Has that changed? Will Evina and Liya get back to the players we think/know they can be? Will the team revert back to "Let's let Paige carry us, and I don't want the ball in crunch time", or will the newfound confidence of players like Azzi and CD continue to blossom?

Always enjoy reading your comments Eric. Most of the time as I’m reading them, I think to myself, “that’s the same exact thing I was thinking.“ :rolleyes: That’s scary.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

DePaul is not horrible. On a given night they can give some ranked teams a good game. We had possibly the worst single quarter in Geno‘s tenure and are missing arguably the best player in college ball, certainly the best back court player. Our team is difficult to rate right now. We definitely aren’t world beaters but we are no pushover when fully loaded. The competition is deeper at the top with more talent not far below than existed just 5-6 years ago during Stewie’s time. Geno is definitely missing the boat, though, by not having Tonyc do pre-game motivational locker room pep talks. I’m psyched just reading his posts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I disagree with Geno limiting Azzi or Christyn. If they are medically cleared, they will play alot to build up as much continuity before the TN game as possible.
Medically cleared usually means that they are fit to play without risk of injury. It doesn’t mean that they are in “game shape“. Putting them back in the game without a minutes limitation would put them at risk of future injury, such as shin splints. I think that’s the reason for the limitation.

Reaction Score
Geno has the players now to win against Tennessee. He just has to put them on the floor and I think he will do that. He knows what to do and he will do it. Things change and change is a coming.

Reaction Score
Btw, I think De Paul could make a strong case as being a top 20 team and there is no way they don't make it to the March tournament. Morrow has recently gotten better and they have a lot of players who can score and play defense. Not sure how deep they are though.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Liv and furher injuries have stepped up. Caroline has become a Star and now with Azzi back and Paige on her way back in a few weeks well we are gonna be a very very tuff out. I really believe we win the NC this season.

Liv and Dorka have stepped up. Caroline has become a Star and now with Azzi back and Paige on her way back in a few weeks well we are gonna be a very very tuff out. I really believe we win the NC this season.

Looking at the threads in this website, one might assume that Caroline is being advocated for canonization to sainthood....
Shouldn't we be giving this splendid young woman a bit of space to have a bad game or two and take some of the responsibilities for so much of late, off her back...

- About the National Championship:
If all things break right, I agree there is a reasonable chance, perhaps a very good
one...but there are still many intangibles including: relapse, further injuries,
rotations, other team's development et al. I advocate more modest expectations.

-With Azzi flouting her shooting ability and Christyn attacking the hoop, I must
admit it's difficult to not be optimistic, but let's give it a few games.

-Here, I am to the left of Tony...Tennessee lost a key player this week and looked as lost as we did at Georgia. I don't think they have the weapons to challenge us.
UConn in a runaway.

I think the NCAA is in a tough spot here...Place UConn in their earned region
and face a loss of revenue or put them in Bridgeport and have the rest of the country cry foul.
I believe that (for once) they will make the principled decision.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

It would not have made a difference whether or not they prepped.

Reaction Score

Me too. The issue for me will actually be underneath after Paige comes back. We have the guards. With every difference in active player personnel there has to be a corresponding adjustment in chemistry. It's not easy, especially when players are coming off injuries and they are improving each game.

We got killed underneath against DePaul. Morrow took Liv completely out of her game and was in her head so I worry. AE has been somewhere else all season and Evina has settled to be a floor player, with "pass first I don't want to shoot", as her seeming mantra. I am just so confused at why both of them are where they are right now.

That brings me to Nika. There are detractors but this kid is the team's voice on the floor right now and she is developing an offensive game. She always walks when she drives laterally to the left and Geno was on the sidelines showing her to plant her feet. She is shooting, scoring, getting out in transition and pushing the team. Her development is far more subtle than Caroline's but important nevertheless as a true PG.

I agree with you. Our weakness as you play it forward is against a power team since we are currently finesse underneath. However, it's the team with the most points who wins, not the most boards, and our four 2 and 3 position guards can certainly score. If we handle Tennessee I will get a little more sanguine but not still quite in the TonyC stratosphere.

Reaction Score
It would not have made a difference whether or not they prepped.
I was always under the impression that defensive prep for Depaul was just to shoot more threes. lol. Arkansas and Syracuse concur.

Reaction Score
DePaul is not horrible. .
I didn’t say they were horrible. But they’re not top 25 and we barely beat them. I’m very happy with the win. But it’s night like we are ready to beat So Carolina or Stanford because we took down DePaul by 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom