UConn is a Blue Blood | Page 11 | The Boneyard

UConn is a Blue Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s a conundrum. I’ve rooted for UConn (and X and Creighton) and I pull for the conference, but I certainly have mixed feelings on tonight.

As I root for UConn I also think of the insufferable fans becoming more insufferable. As we compete as programs it’s another title in the count, and would now own the reigning title as well. San Diego State is a great underdog. Would you be pulling for Nova tonight if we were playing San Diego State?

In the end I’m still pulling for UConn and the Big East tonight, but with some mixed feelings. Win or lose, UConn as a program has already achieved Blue Blood status.

I get the mixed feelings. Had them last year with Nova in the FF. Glad they made it, but can't say I'm not glad they didn't win their 4th and tie us. Unfortunately KU was there too going for their 4th which made it a "pick your poison" situation for many UConn fans.

In the end we all want to be playing in a strong conference. That's the upside to conference foes' postseason success.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It’s a conundrum. I’ve rooted for UConn (and X and Creighton) and I pull for the conference, but I certainly have mixed feelings on tonight.

As I root for UConn I also think of the insufferable fans becoming more insufferable. As we compete as programs it’s another title in the count, and would now own the reigning title as well. San Diego State is a great underdog. Would you be pulling for Nova tonight if we were playing San Diego State?

In the end I’m still pulling for UConn and the Big East tonight, but with some mixed feelings. Win or lose, UConn as a program has already achieved Blue Blood status.
Not that it means much but there was only one time I rooted against Nova in the tournament. Fortunately the good guys took apart a higher rated Nova squad that night and went on to win it all.

I was the only one (of a small group) that wanted Nova to beat Georgetown in '85. They all felt it would be better for the conference if Georgetown won and established themselves as an all time great program. I felt they weren't what people thought and having a second school win a title would help the conference more.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I would never root for Nova if it makes you feel better.

Reaction Score
As a SU grad and huge fan, I think UCONN is a modern blue blood. Not the deep Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA blue blood, more on line with Duke. Last 25 years, in spite of several recent bad years 6 final fours and 4, probably 5 national championships No team has had the success UCONN has in the past quarter century. Hats off to them. Some SU fans think Jim Calhoun is the best program builder in college history outside of John Wooden. Getting UCONN to be a national power is nothing sort of amazing. What mystified me are the SU fans who think of UCONN as our top rival. For me the rivalry is Georgetown. Those guys suck. I try to get pumped up for Duke or N. Carolina but we will never be a rivalry game fir those schools. I guess that leaves Pitt or BC as our league rivals and that just sucks. Good luck tonight. I will be cheering for you guys.

Reaction Score
How many programs would gladly except two championships over a 10 year span and the other 8 UCONN had? I would wager most.
Let us not forget they had 3 tourney appearances in that ten year span.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I am on the fence as to whether we are a blue blood. What do you guys think?
I tend to go by the etymology of the term "blue blood", which is basically old money. We're not old money. Neither is Duke. But UConn and Duke are basically Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos.

Reaction Score
Blue Bloods x5

Fs1tr4mWYAEE2xq.jpg

Reaction Score
Tied with Duke and Indiana. One less than UNC, one less than Kansas. So what does that say?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tied with Duke and Indiana. One less than UNC, one less than Kansas. So what does that say?

Championships that happened during segregation when the tournament was 12 teams do not count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom