UConn in the WNBA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn in the WNBA

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't know if this has been reported yet, but

Christyn Williams was waived by the Phoenix Mercury.
Ugh was just about to ask whether anyone knew how she was doing. There are so few slots in the WNBA that being injured for two years before she had a chance to prove herself may have been too big and obstacle to overcome.

Reaction Score
I suspect she will bounce back. Maybe a season in Europe will help her push through.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Shea 2.0

1CEE2670-D364-4B13-822C-9E3034243231.jpeg

Reaction Score
Ugh was just about to ask whether anyone knew how she was doing. There are so few slots in the WNBA that being injured for two years before she had a chance to prove herself may have been too big and obstacle to overcome.
Williams was a long shot to make it even before her injury. Her being listed as the number one player in her class out of high school created a reputation that carried her though much of her college career. Playing for UConn did not hurt either. In WBB exposure and visability counts more than actual production. I remember the fan base waiting every year for her to fullfill the promise they had for her, which never transpired. She was a fringe player at best before her injury. If a player is really good missing a season will not hinder them. It is a death blow to those who's needed everything to break for them. Bottom line she ws never good enough to play in the WNBA. There are even some player who make a roster for a short time that end up out very soon, because they are not good enough.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I see that Dorka is officially listed as "temporarily suspended" on the WNBA transaction list for today. I presume that will end as soon as she returns to Minneapolis, at which point the Lynx will have to cut somebody else.

Reaction Score
Talk about Huskies in the W!

The WNBA is running a FREE promotion of it's League Pass feature on its WNBA app. You can watch these selected games without a fee, credit card or subscription. All of the games have a Husky on at least one of the teams; 8 of the 11 games have Huskies on both teams! :D

Press release with full details.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Williams was a long shot to make it even before her injury. Her being listed as the number one player in her class out of high school created a reputation that carried her though much of her college career. Playing for UConn did not hurt either. In WBB exposure and visability counts more than actual production. I remember the fan base waiting every year for her to fullfill the promise they had for her, which never transpired. She was a fringe player at best before her injury. If a player is really good missing a season will not hinder them. It is a death blow to those who's needed everything to break for them. Bottom line she ws never good enough to play in the WNBA. There are even some player who make a roster for a short time that end up out very soon, because they are not good enough.

When she was in college, Jay Bilas called her the best collegiate baller in the nation, male or female.

Over the last few years, Gabby has been one of the best players in Europe, won some awards, and got an Olympic medal. She hasn’t played much in the W the past 2-3 years, mostly due to the Prioritization Rule, but she’s clearly a WNBA-level player.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
When she was in college, Jay Bilas called her the best collegiate baller in the nation, male or female.

Over the last few years, Gabby has been one of the best players in Europe, won some awards, and got an Olympic medal. She hasn’t played much in the W the past 2-3 years, mostly due to the Prioritization Rule, but she’s clearly a WNBA-level player.
I believe will talk meant Christyn Williams.

I think he's also being a bit harsh. She played 4 years starting 131 games. She scored 1850 points and had 518 rebounds. The Huskies went 122-14 during her tenure making 3 final fours w one canceled due COVID.

She didn't live up to her high school rank, but she was solid and her Jr and sr teams had thin rosters by UConn standards.

She can definitely play in Europe and probably gets another shot in wnba.

Reaction Score

I think that the post is speaking of Christyn Williams. It happened to be within close proximity to one that I, ironically, posted about Gabby Williams with the same last name. That said, it had me initially wondering.

Christyn was cut by the Phoenix Mercury a few days ago and there was a post about that.

Gabby now has citizenship in France and will be playing for the country in the Paris Olympics. It is my opinion that she would be playing in the WNBA right now if she had desire to be in the league as opposed to the French National team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think that the post is speaking of Christyn Williams. It happened to be within close proximity to one that I, ironically, posted about Gabby Williams with the same last name. That said, it had me initially wondering.

Christyn was cut by the Phoenix Mercury a few days ago and there was a post about that.

Gabby now has citizenship in France and will be playing for the country in the Paris Olympics. It is my opinion that she would be playing in the WNBA right now if she had desire to be in the league as opposed to the French National team.

Thanks! Gabby is playing very well and is clearly one of the best players in France. She apparently has a stronger allegiance to her mother’s home country than she does to the W. I expect to see her back in 2025.

Regarding Christyn, it’s hard to say. If she’s back to 100%, I think she is good enough to make a roster. We’ll see.

Reaction Score

Yes, I was referring to Christyn Williams. Gabby was a beast who could make it on her pure athetic abilities alone. That leave a lot of upside for development. I did not see your post.

Reaction Score
Talk about Huskies in the W!

The WNBA is running a FREE promotion of it's League Pass feature on its WNBA app. You can watch these selected games without a fee, credit card or subscription. All of the games have a Husky on at least one of the teams; 8 of the 11 games have Huskies on both teams! :D

Press release with full details.

Every game played in the W this season will have atleast one Husky on one of the rosters! Every game except those including Chicago will feature both teams with atleast one Husky. Apparently Chicago missed the memo!

Reaction Score
So?now, looking for at least a week contract are Evina Westbrook, Megan Walker, Christyn Williams & Bria Hartley. I think Gabby Williams is just about to play from an injury contract after the Olympics

Reaction Score
I think this duck***g rule is just made to preserve american rookies or sophomores some places on the rosters

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom