UConn in the WNBA | Page 16 | The Boneyard

UConn in the WNBA

Reaction Score
To me, there is a slight mystery here, similar to one that we have seen before.

When Katie Lou and Napheesa played together at UConn, I thought that their contributions to their team's considerable successes were roughly equal. KLS was actually drafted two positions higher than Napheesa, but in the WNBA Napheesa has had a stellar career while KLS has been ho-hum. (And they both took a year off for maternity, so that is not an explanation.)

The same thing happened with Tiffany Hayes and Kelly Faris. They came to the WNBA a year apart, but while they played together in Storrs, I thought they were contributing equally to their UConn teams. But in that case as well, Tiffany's WNBA career has flourished while Kelly's career fizzled.

I don't have an explanation, really. Do any of you?
I have to disagree with your assessment. I love Katie Lou, but Napheesa carried the team, playing out of position as a post. Katie was able to play her position and take her shots, usually over shorter players. Phee had to battle against the bigs. If allowed to play the 4 or 3, her stats would have been even better. And always a great and tireless. defender. As good as she was, Phee was always underrated in college. A true team player with a great attitude, she has excelled in the wnba as the star on a team that plays team ball. Should have been drafted higher, but I imagine viewed as undersized. So happy she slipped to get picked up by Reeve.

Reaction Score

When Katie Lou and Napheesa played together at UConn, I thought that their contributions to their team's considerable successes were roughly equal. KLS was actually drafted two positions higher than Napheesa, but in the WNBA Napheesa has had a stellar career while KLS has been ho-hum. (And they both took a year off for maternity, so that is not an explanation.)

The same thing happened with Tiffany Hayes and Kelly Faris. They came to the WNBA a year apart, but while they played together in Storrs, I thought they were contributing equally to their UConn teams. But in that case as well, Tiffany's WNBA career has flourished while Kelly's career fizzled.

I wouldn't argue KLS could have been as good as Napheesa is in the WNBA, but she was hurt much of her first two seasons, plus got stuck playing with Arike in Dallas before finding a starting gig with the Sparks. Combined with her considerable success in Europe and how she's playing now for the Fever, I'd say KLS is better than a ho-hum player.

I'm just happy to see both making an impact, whatever their relative merits. They're two of my favorite Huskies, and classy at that!

Reaction Score
I wouldn't argue KLS could have been as good as Napheesa is in the WNBA, but she was hurt much of her first two seasons, plus got stuck playing with Arike in Dallas before finding a starting gig with the Sparks. Combined with her considerable success in Europe and how she's playing now for the Fever, I'd say KLS is better than a ho-hum player.

I'm just happy to see both making an impact, whatever their relative merits. They're two of my favorite Huskies, and classy at that!
KLS only played one season in Dallas. She played with Seattle after she left Dallas and then she played with the Sparks.

Reaction Score

Yes, KLS was injured her first year (hand injury) and was playing for a coach (James Wade) who publicly stated he had no intention to play her first year or so. Her back problems from her senior year also lingered with her thru to her time in Dallas. KLS time in Dallas, Seattle and LA were marred by in season coaching changes. Even so KLS was a starter on all three teams.

With the Fever KLS was placed on the wing which effectively removed her from the offense. The Fever's disastrous start prompted an apparent offensive change for the team as a whole and she has moved from the corner to top of the key where she has been more involved with the offense and she is thriving with her minutes.

Reaction Score

Speaking of Tiffany, did she resign with the LV Aces? I saw a picture of her as she appeared to be arriving at one of their games.
PS: I thought she'd retired from the W

Reaction Score
Speaking of Tiffany, did she resign with the LV Aces? I saw a picture of her as she appeared to be arriving at one of their games.
Yes, she came out of retirement and signed with Vegas a few weeks ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Tiff did retire from the W at the end of last season. But she came back a couple of weeks ago and was picked up by Las Vegas. She played in Europe over the winter.

Reaction Score
Was changed to 1 3PM since she was over the line. She’s still a perfect 4-4 from the field.

Is anyone watching this game on league pass? It is blocked out for us even though we are not in the viewing areas. We are pulling our hair out trying to talk to this person and want to confirm other people are able to watch it.
thanks.

Reaction Score
Love that Lou is finally getting some minutes and instantly putting some points on the board
Dallas, worst 3 point shooting team in the league, has a very nice and high % 3 point shooter in LLS on their bench. Yet they give her 3 minutes and call it a day.

Reaction Score
Dallas, worst 3 point shooting team in the league, has a very nice and high % 3 point shooter in LLS on their bench. Yet they give her 3 minutes and call it a day.
Or rather she was a good 3 ball in college at least. Here she’s struggling but still puts up point when given the chance.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with your assessment. I love Katie Lou, but Napheesa carried the team, playing out of position as a post. Katie was able to play her position and take her shots, usually over shorter players. Phee had to battle against the bigs. If allowed to play the 4 or 3, her stats would have been even better. And always a great and tireless. defender. As good as she was, Phee was always underrated in college. A true team player with a great attitude, she has excelled in the wnba as the star on a team that plays team ball. Should have been drafted higher, but I imagine viewed as undersized. So happy she slipped to get picked up by Reeve.
Not as happy as Reeve is. Cheryl was surprised and delighted that Phee fell to 6, but even she didn't anticipate what a stellar pro Phee would become.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is anyone watching this game on league pass? It is blocked out for us even though we are not in the viewing areas. We are pulling our hair out trying to talk to this person and want to confirm other people are able to watch it.
thanks.

Yeah, I got it on LeaguePass.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lou got 14 minutes and scored 7. She shot 3-6 and had 2 assists.
Always take a peak at Twitter/X. They live stream many games, not on the networks(ABC/CBS/ESPN)
It appears on the right of my screen under " Live on X"

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Or rather she was a good 3 ball in college at least. Here she’s struggling but still puts up point when given the chance.
Lou has played 38 minutes as a pro and is 2-6 in threes. That's not much of a sample. Siegrist played 8 minutes a game last year for the same team and is playing very well this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom