UCONN in the NBA - 2023/24 Season | Page 20 | The Boneyard

UCONN in the NBA - 2023/24 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
You guys need to actually watch the NBA. Pelicans have multiple big strong guards that can shoot and/or defend better than Hawkins at this point. Hawkins played big minutes early because most of those guys were injured and shot 36% from 3. Save your outrage for something more worthwhile - Hawkins will have a long and successful NBA career as long as he keeps improving and getting stronger.

You cant have this take and actually watch the NBA.

Reaction Score
Andre Drummond -in some ways- reminds me of Nolan Ryan.

Ryan was basically a .500 pitcher with an amazing fastball. He was considered an underachiever for much of his career, but he keep throwing no-hitters. By the time he got to seven no-hitters the baseball writers narrative changed.

Drummond keeps putting up these insane rebounding numbers. He is considered a so-so basketball player. But he has time, if he keeps boarding at a high level to produce some eye popping stats.
Drummond not becoming a plus defender really tanked the second half of his career. It is what keeps him off the floor. If he was able to stay on the court for 30min a night he would be the goat rebounder or in the top 3 convo.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Drummond not becoming a plus defender really tanked the second half of his career. It is what keeps him off the floor. If he was able to stay on the court for 30min a night he would be the goat rebounder or in the top 3 convo.
Defense and foul shooting, he can’t be on the floor in a close game late.

caw

Reaction Score
You guys need to actually watch the NBA. Pelicans have multiple big strong guards that can shoot and/or defend better than Hawkins at this point. Hawkins played big minutes early because most of those guys were injured and shot 36% from 3. Save your outrage for something more worthwhile - Hawkins will have a long and successful NBA career as long as he keeps improving and getting stronger.

For accuracy, 36% is where he is now. He was 37.3% (56/150) before he was benched, he has been 3/13 since. That said CJ and Trey have shot better.

From what I have seen though, they also take very different shots as CJ and Trey rarely take corner threes and play much more at the top which does affect spacing for the Pelicans. Hawkins is much more off ball than they are (for good reason), roaming the baseline/corners and he also draws a defender to the corner almost all the time. Their gravity may be similar but they draw defenders to different locations on the floor which opens the floor differently. I'm not even saying Hawkins should play more but perhaps CJ and Trey should be used differently.

Reaction Score
Not taking away anything from Ryan who earned every accolade he received.

Just reminding folks it took a long time for Ryan to receive his due but it came because he kept on keeping on.
The Ryan Express was one of the best pitchers on the planet, past present and likely for some time into the future. Guy had an unbelievably sick fast ball. Basically surpassed the 2nd fastest hurler of the time by nearly 2 mph.

Reaction Score

It does make sense that other guys getting healthy means Hawkins gets less. It also is true that the Pelicans weren't spectacular before, 11-10 when he got 15+ minutes (with an injured roster) and 6-4 in other games

But even though his percentage is lower than others, his volume is high. He's only played 60 minutes total in the last 3 weeks and still leads the Pelicans in total three pointers made

Their last 3 losses are all by less than 3 points. Naji/Daniels/Alvarado were 4-19 from three in those games. Hawkins 0 minutes. Hard to convince me that there were no minutes available in those games for their 3PM leader

They're 6th from the bottom in the league in three pointers made per game. Last year 6th from the bottom in 3PM. Worse the year before. They finished 9th, 8th, and 11th in the conference in those 3 years. The Pelicans need to modernize and with Trey Murphy going crazy last year and drafting Hawkins, it seemed like that was the plan

I'll agree with you the outrage here gets excessive, but Hawkins had a great start to the season playing his role and now he's benched indefinitely. While the main guys are back to play the same style and bring the team to another play-in seed. The Zion experiment is collapsing but they're doubling down and going all-in on that 7-10 seed range. That's the part that doesn't make sense

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Did you watch the game vs Grizzlies?
Hawk would have been a help in those waning moments of regulation as well as in the OT.
The Pelicans have a huge Zion problem and is way too 4 and 3 oriented. How can the guards produce when Zion brings the ball up the court every possession he is in the game?
Pelican guards may look physical but are neither strong nor can they defend. Period. McCollum is on the other side of his career at 33 yo He can still score but is slower than your average guard.
Daniels and Lewis are both extremely inconsistent and Seabron is great in the GLeague but has shown limited flashes of being a NBA performer - with his height and length he should be better vs the smaller guards. He gets abused defensively.

Not saying that Hawk should start - that time will come but to sit him the entire game is ridiculous. Also - the Bucks couldn't get Jackson some PT during the last 8 minutes of the blowout vs the Nets last night?

No blue glasses here - just dumbfounded. I watch a ton of NBA and GLeague games but thanks for the snark remark

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I actually think the problem with the Pelicans is simply, they don’t have a PG.

If they got an actual PG so they can move CJ over to the 2 they would be so much better for it and have a lot of issues fixed as far as offensive roles.

Doesn’t even have to be anyone crazy, Tyus Jones would be a good fit. A Mike Conley goes a LONG way in solving offensive issues.

Reaction Score
I love being vindicated in less than 24 hours by a multi-billion dollar franchise. I hope Jordan uses the increased reps to improve his shooting efficiency (38%) and defense.

To the people telling him that he's a Top 3 rookie and just being victimized by a secret anti-UConn conspiracy - you are also entitled to your opinions. Have a great day everyone.
GIF by NBA

Reaction Score
I love being vindicated in less than 24 hours by a multi-billion dollar franchise. I hope Jordan uses the increased reps to improve his shooting efficiency (38%) and defense.

To the people telling him that he's a Top 3 rookie and just being victimized by a secret anti-UConn conspiracy - you are also entitled to your opinions. Have a great day everyone.
GIF by NBA
The pistons are valued higher than the pelicans and have been to the playoffs the same amount of times in the last 5 seasons. They are currently 2-28. Valuation has nothing to do with basketball knowledge or being a good franchise.

This ain't the dunk you think it is, lil bro

Reaction Score

GIF by NBA

There are 351 other fanbases you could be a part of.

Reaction Score

#1 "vindicated" is more or less admitting you were wrong
#2 this appears to be the opposite in that the Pels are proving to be an org without a plan.
i.e. Why'd they have Hawk ride the bench all December and send him down now?
They certainly didn't cite a reason at least publicly for sending him to Bumingham.

Feels like if Hawkins started and played 30 minutes for the Pels tonight you'd also be saying I told you so. There's no conspiracy, just bad decision making combined with a posters confirmation bias. Pels are 918 losses vs 799 wins which seems about same odds (.465) that this decision is sound.

Reaction Score
Drummond looks on pace for another 20+ rebound game if he can avoid foul trouble in the 2nd half. 12 rebs in the first half but 3 fouls, Bulls are electing to go small with Drummond on the bench so no tick for Adama, who was called up this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom