UConn in Pitt transfer Femi Odukale’s top 5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn in Pitt transfer Femi Odukale’s top 5

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Counterpoint….they are all coming back unless they get NLI’d to another program.

Sanogo is the best of them and the NBA simply does not value his skill set at all.

Hawkins and Jackson are far better NBA prospects than Sanogo IMO.

To be honest, I’d have to see much more from both to think they have much of a shot.

Hawkins was just a mess too often and Jackson really had a way of disappearing against better teams. Hopefully, they both move about ten steps forward this year.
I think that Hawkins currently has the best odds to play in the NBA among the three of them, followed by Jackson.

Hawkins had a tough start and tough finish last season, but in those moments when things clicked he looked like a legit pro prospect. Admittedly those moments were less frequent than hoped, but if he is injury-free next season and getting major minutes, I suspect that he will be close to where we want--and need--him to be.

If Jackson puts it all together and develops a shot, he will definitely garner interest. I just think he's a much bigger question mark right now because his role at the next level is less clear unless and until that happens.

Reaction Score
I hope we get really creative with this stuff because from his sponsor and AAU coach Oscar is getting 3 mil in his account by coming back to Kentucky. Unless things change and some sanity comes back to college sports we're going to have to have people throwing a ton of money at these kids if we want to compete at the highest level.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is a guy the NBA is missing the boat on
He is probably 6’9” at most and undersized for a five In their eyes
he also lacks the shot to play the way 4s are currently expected.
I totally understand their trepidation but I think he has a chance.
He runs real well for guy his size has good moves around the basket that make him extremely difficult to guard In those alleged defensive schemes used in the NBA . He will always be one on one in a much more spread situation. He has an incredibly soft touch you can’t teach that ,and is probably the most powerful UConn big since Okofer. who was also undersized.

I probably won’t be around so in a couple of years someone bump this post to see if I was right

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Pretty sure Sanogo and Hassan Diarra just followed each other on IG and then so Okudale seems like a no and Diarra a maybe?

Damn

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Sanogo and Hassan Diarra just followed each other on IG and then so Okudale seems like a no and Diarra a maybe?

The Diarra follow is old, not sure how old but I know he was following him before he entered the portal (or at least as soon as he entered when I looked)

Reaction Score
diarra and castle and focus on '23 recruits. couldnt care less who get the last 2 schollys just need warm bodies.
I’d feel very confident if this is how we ended the offseason. Our guards would be stacked and we have a top 5 center in the country. Our front court should be solid beyond Sanogo too.

I would consider an offseason of Newton, Alleyne, Castle, and Diarra a major success

Reaction Score
I’d feel very confident if this is how we ended the offseason. Our guards would be stacked and we have a top 5 center in the country. Our front court should be solid beyond Sanogo too.

I would consider an offseason of Newton, Alleyne, Castle, and Diarra a major success
Totally agree.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall has 6 guards on the roster already. I know they'll play a lot of 3 guard and Femi is probably better than 2 or 3 of them, but it's still a pretty crowded spot.

Reaction Score
Is he eligible for NIL yet? I know when they did the NFT stuff they couldn't include him because he is international.
I’m hoping that’s been resolved. Horribly discriminatory rule.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping that’s been resolved. Horribly discriminatory rule.
I could be wrong, but isn’t the international student NIL issue with the US visa system and not the NCAA? I assume he is here on a student visa, which restricts your ability to work in the country. He would likely need to change his visa type to a different classification.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I just posted this in another thread but assuming Alleyne and Castle are here next year, that gives us a rotation of 9 guys (not including springs). That 10th guy can’t be expecting anymore than like 5 MPG. I want Castle, Newton, Hawkins, Jackson, and Alleyne playing as much as possible. I don’t want them sacrificing minutes to the last guy on the bench..
We need to keep in mind injuries. We certainly have had our share.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You think Sanogo will make millions playing here? I don't.

The point is we're not going to have all three of those guys the following year, we need to win now. We simply need tournament success at this point or it's going to start hurting with future teams.
We have freshman coming in this year w/ NIL valued over $500k

He will get that somehow.

Reaction Score
We need to keep in mind injuries. We certainly have had our share.
if we're relying on guys 10-13 we're screwed any way you look at it.

we seem to be having trouble finding the 9th guy in the rotation as is. finding good players to sign up for 10-13 for even less PT, barring injuries, might very well be impossible thanks to the portal going forward.

we need the best 8-9 guys we can get in a given year and just go for it. Nova just made it to the FF w/ 6 guys. UNC made it to the finals. if injuries happen cest la vie.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think that any potential danger to have one or two more bench players (10 and 11) is greatly outweighed by the danger of injuries we will have in a long season that culminates in the league championship series and the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I think that Hawkins currently has the best odds to play in the NBA among the three of them, followed by Jackson.

Hawkins had a tough start and tough finish last season, but in those moments when things clicked he looked like a legit pro prospect. Admittedly those moments were less frequent than hoped, but if he is injury-free next season and getting major minutes, I suspect that he will be close to where we want--and need--him to be.

If Jackson puts it all together and develops a shot, he will definitely garner interest. I just think he's a much bigger question mark right now because his role at the next level is less clear unless and until that happens.
Hawkins will be held back by his handle, unless he shows a huge leap this summer (freshman to soph). I'm remaining optimistic for him though. Jackson has an acceptable handle at full speed, but less so going to the basket (and finishing). Hoping he starts watching Dr J and George Gerven on how to finish.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hawkins will be held back by his handle, unless he shows a huge leap this summer (freshman to soph). I'm remaining optimistic for him though. Jackson has an acceptable handle at full speed, but less so going to the basket (and finishing). Hoping he starts watching Dr J and George Gerven on how to finish.
Yes, I am well aware of the concerns about Hawkins's handle. It may be the most vilified and dissected handle in the history of our program, and it's obviously been the source of much consternation and histrionics here.

I agree that it's a weak spot that he needs to improve, but I think the dire concerns have been overblown.

It reminds me a bit of the old story Burt Reynolds used to love to tell about when he and Clint Eastwood got fired from the same studio on the same day, very early in their careers. They told Clint that his Adam's apple was too big and they told Burt that he didn't know how to act. As they walked away, Burt turned to Clint and said something to the effect of "You're really screwed: I can learn how to act, but you can't get rid of your Adam's apple."

In other words, I think Hawkins will learn how to improve his handle; and I'm not so sure that AJax and Sanogo can fix the issues that present obstacles for them.

And yes, I am also aware that the Adam's apple didn't prevent Clint from having a stellar career.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hawkins will be just fine this coming season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member