UConn Hockey 2012-13 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chip Malafronte (@ChipMalafronte)
3/30/13, 6:47 PM
Yale 4, North Dakota 1. Bulldogs will head to Frozen Four at the Igloo in Pittsburgh. #ECACHockey

Chip Malafronte (@ChipMalafronte)
3/30/13, 8:04 PM
Quinnipiac 4, Canisius 3. Final. Bobcats will face Union/Boston College winner Sunday at 6:30 for a place in Frozen Four #ECACHockey

Not a bad afternoon for the locals... Gotta love play-off hockey!

Reaction Score
BC down 0-3 to Union needs to wake up or they'll be playing street hockey in the gym next week. Go U.

Reaction Score
Whodathunk...

Like QU chances better against Union than BC although that would have been fun.

Reaction Score
Who would have ever imagined such an outcome? Two one-seeds left, one of them being Quinnipiac.

My seat happened to be right next to the tunnel between the Quinnipiac bench (and Union for the second game on the first day) and the seats (three seats away) twice right by the ice. It was surreal.

I must say, even though there may be people begging for money here and there on sidewalks, Providence sure is one heck of a cultural city.

Reaction Score
BTW, for anyone from around here thinking of making the trek to Pittsburgh for the Frozen Four, tickets are generally VERY easily attainable outside the rink from fans looking to sell extras well below face value. Face for the weekend package, I believe is around $190, but with four non-powerhouse teams, tickets will be very, very easy to come by outside the arena. There's also the ticket forum on the USCHO.com boards, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a weekend package ticket for $100 or less.

Reaction Score
this has got to be one of the more odd final Fours in recent memory. UMass-Lowell, Quinipiac, St Cloud and Yale? How the heck did Yale get included in with this group? Can't remember more schools nobody has ever heard of than this.

Reaction Score
Yeah, definitely an odd group. First time the FF will have four teams who've not won a championship since the 1950s.

Also, with regard to UConn's coaching search, inexplicably, Denver just forced their head coach George Gwozdecky to resign. If UConn really wanted to make a splash, they could shoot for him. It would cost a lot, and surely there will be other programs lining up for him, as he has multiple national championships, pretty much in the NCAA tournament every year, so it's puzzling as to why he was forced out. Probably a long shot, but would be an absolutely HUGE get for the program. He's in his late 50's, so he's got some years left in the bank as well.

Reaction Score
It might be odd, but I think it's a moment that was in the making. Yale is way overdue. Oldest NCAA hockey program. UMass-Lowell, Quinnipiac and Union are newer to the D1 hockey level. We have half of the Frozen Four teams now. New blood in our area at the top level does not hurt. I knew a day would come when UConn will be in a top hockey conference. I won't give Marshall credit for that. I'll just give him credit for sticking with us while our barn is junk. Lowell and Union do have a history at the D2 level. Union fans do travel well. QU fans also travel well. QU and Union are great additions to the ECAC.

Reaction Score
It might be odd, but I think it's a moment that was in the making. Yale is way overdue. Oldest NCAA hockey program. UMass-Lowell, Quinnipiac and Union are newer to the D1 hockey level. We have half of the Frozen Four teams now. New blood in our area at the top level does not hurt. I knew a day would come when UConn will be in a top hockey conference. I won't give Marshall credit for that. I'll just give him credit for sticking with us while our barn is junk. Lowell and Union do have a history at the D2 level. Union fans do travel well. QU fans also travel well. QU and Union are great additions to the ECAC.

I can't wait until the final 4 has UConn, QU, Yale and Maine. Wouldn't that be something???

Reaction Score
Hmmm... interesting... I thought Dave B. would get the job...

They were always going to conduct a search at the end of the year, as far as I'm concerned. Berard just happened to get his name on the "definitely give an interview" list with this year's post-January performance.

Reaction Score
They were always going to conduct a search at the end of the year, as far as I'm concerned. Berard just happened to get his name on the "definitely give an interview" list with this year's post-January performance.
I'm not so sure. I actually think he was the leader in the clubhouse but the unexpected availability of Gwozdecky from Denver might have changed the calculation. If a guy with 2 national Championships and 6 consecutive NCAA trips is suddenly available, you need to talk to him.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
We have 2 out of the top 11 CT players eligible for the 2013 NHL draft. Only 4 were born in CT. #1 CT player went on to play in the QMJHL. 30+ years ago, college hockey was not attracting the level of talent it does now. Perfect time for us to step it up.

http://www.nutmeghockey.com/archives/tag/adam-erne

I wonder if Connecticut high schools that aren't hockey schools (ie East Hartford) would create a prep team, like RHAm did when UConn upgraded Football. It would be nice, if some did.

Reaction Score
Nice article about "what can be"...

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-jacobs-column-0411-20130411,0,7789470.column

"College hockey in this college mad sports state isn't new, but never has it shown such an upside. As it is, there is a chunk of the state media in Pittsburgh to cover the Frozen Four. And believe this much. If UConn ever got to the Frozen Four, you would see an incredible buzz. It is that potential, a narrative yet to be written, that makes Thursday such a huge day for hockey in our state."

Reaction Score
I've always said that. i said a while back that UConn getting to the tournament would be a huge boost both for the sport in Connecticut and for AHA in general because despite how we dislike the Athletic Department, UConn has far more ability to move the needle both in state and nationally than most schools.

Like seeing that they expect to have the coaching decision wrapped up by May, too.

Reaction Score
RIT has a really good program but they have a definite upper limit I think as a D3 school playing up in D1 hockey. Agree though that UConn needs to replace or significantly upgrade Freitas in order for the hockey program to ultimately succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom