UConn Hockey 2012-13 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quinnipiac might have ended Yale's NCAA hopes with a 3-0 shutout, ironically going 3-0 against them for the season. Sat next to two freshman Yale players in game 3 of the Quinnipiac-Cornell series and told the one right next to me that Cornell's goalie is better than theirs. He said he "respectfully disagrees" with a big, big smile. Oh well. Now all we probably have left is Quinnipiac.

http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2013/03...place-win-takes-ncaa-fate-out-of-yales-hands/

"The selection show for the 16-team field will be broadcast at 9 p.m. EDT Sunday on ESPNU."

If Michigan (WTF?) wins tomorrow against Notre Dame, Yale is out. If ND wins, Yale is in.

http://www.uscho.com/bracketology/2013/03/24/one-game-left-two-scenarios-two-brackets/

Never thought I'd be cheering for ND. QU gets the #1 seed in Providence. I may need to raise funds for the trip. Anyone want to go?? I have a freaking concert planned for that weekend in NYC too.

Had UConn won the tournament, we'd probably be playing Quinnipiac.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony (@ManthonyCourant)
3/24/13, 12:37 PM
A follow-up on UConn hockey season and Dave Berard. Interesting time for program.

http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-atlantic-hockey-final-0324-20130322,0,2203964.story

Interesting to see WM seemed to use same evaluation metrics for DB as KO...

>>Asked if he deserved the job, Berard said, "How I would say that is, when everything happened I sat with [senior associate AD Doug Gnodtke] and Warde and we talked about how I was going to have the opportunity to be the interim coach. Warde made a reference that it's like you're test-driving a car. So it was, 'You've got the car and you're going to test-drive it and we're going to watch and evaluate how you do, how your leadership skills are and how the team performs and how the team buys into everything. And as we go through our process, you'll have the ability to showcase yourself. No one else has that opportunity. You're the only one, so take full advantage.'<<

Reaction Score
Chip Malafronte (@ChipMalafronte)
3/24/13, 5:10 PM
Yale expected to get at-large bid to NCAA hockey tourney as 15th seed; play second-seed Minnesota in Grand Rapids. Selection show at 9 p.m.

Chip Malafronte (@ChipMalafronte)
3/24/13, 5:10 PM
Quinnipiac, as top overall seed, expected to play 16th-seed Canisius in Providence. NCAA selection show at 9 p.m. on ESPNU #ECACHockey

Reaction Score
Future conference rival ND wins. Who wants to go to Providence?!?!

I think Berard gets the job.

Reaction Score
Will Moran (@goalmouthradio)
3/24/13, 6:26 PM
Totally missed this commit. But UConn nabbed Christian Neumann of the Chicago Steel of the USHL with a commitment for next season.

3/24/13, 6:27 PM
Commitment was made in late February. The full release is here:

http://chicagosteelhockeyteam.blogspot.com/2013/02/congratulations-to-christian-neumann.html

3/24/13, 6:30 PM
Neumann had originally committed to play for Air Force in March of 2012. 19 year old D-man is listed 6' and 185 lbs by the Steel.

3/24/13, 6:36 PM
As of now, I have a count of 9 commits who will come to UConn next season. First season that UConn will award scholarships.

Reaction Score
Future conference rival ND wins. Who wants to go to Providence?!?!

I think Berard gets the job.
Goodness gracious, BC was given a cake walk in Providence. That's probably the easiest regional bracket for a single team that's ever existed. I'll pull for QU and it'd be awesome to see them make it to Pittsburgh, but they've limped into the tournament and lost to some horrible teams along the way. If York is on the bench for this game, I cannot see QU having a chance. Much less if they get beat by upstart Canisius, who would get blown out of the rink by BC if they had their hands tied behind their back.

Reaction Score
Goodness gracious, BC was given a cake walk in Providence. That's probably the easiest regional bracket for a single team that's ever existed. I'll pull for QU and it'd be awesome to see them make it to Pittsburgh, but they've limped into the tournament and lost to some horrible teams along the way. If York is on the bench for this game, I cannot see QU having a chance. Much less if they get beat by upstart Canisius, who would get blown out of the rink by BC if they had their hands tied behind their back.
Got a ticket anyway. Mid-ice, fourth row up. I might as well go. Don't know if I'll be going to all 3 games or just the regional final. Regionals like this one don't come around too often. Union is not a pushover for BC. If it gets there, a QU/BC (or preferably Union) game would be fun, regardless of who wins. I really do hope QU wins the regional. It's not as if BC came roaring into this tournament.

Reaction Score
Got a ticket anyway. Mid-ice, fourth row up. I might as well go. Regionals like this one don't come around too often. Union is not a pushover for BC. If it gets there, a QU/BC (or preferably Union) game would be fun, regardless of who wins. I really do hope QU wins the regional.
regionals are a lot of fun, too bad there won't be any of the big western teams there. i doubt there'll be much of a contingent from Union or Canisius as neither has a hockey following of any kind at all. Unfortunately. BC is the kind of team where if you haven't played against them before, you can't adjust on the fly to what they do well. The only real bright spot for the other three there is BC's defense is depleted by injury this year that might open the door. But they can still turn it on to another level, especially in the tournament, and unless you've played against that, it'll be 4-0 before you can sneeze and it's all over from there. The only other open door would be if York isn't back from his eye surgery this past Monday. That was a major difference in why my guys pummeled them on Friday night. But a team coming in with a bad recent record and inevitably beginning to question their own play is not the kind of matchup you want against a BC team, even a slightly depleted one. Plus, if your power play has holes and you've not played their pressure, you'll give up about 10,000 shorties to them. I've unfortunately seen all of this happen far too often with my own two eyes.

Reaction Score
QU is an incredibly skilled and fast team. Time shall tell how things turn out. Still can't believe Canisius is going. Could have been us. York or not, BC will be a challenge for everyone.

I can live without the western teams. I think it's kind of cool it's an all-northeastern regional.

Reaction Score
http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/...-from-enemy-territory-on-uconn-to-hockey-east

Some thoughts about UConn hockey in the Hockey East from a BC fan's perspective. Getting 9 scholarship players for next year is a very good start. Now we just might need an on campus arena. As some of you might already argue, Hartford might not work out in the long run. Students probably won't go to games in Hartford.

We beat out Quinnipiac, Miami (OH), RPI, Holy Cross and others for the 12th spot. Our women's team was already there, so we might have been a somewhat easy choice as the 12th member. Let's hope we can make the best of this.

Reaction Score
QU is an incredibly skilled and fast team. Time shall tell how things turn out. Still can't believe Canisius is going. Could have been us. York or not, BC will be a challenge for everyone.

I can live without the western teams. I think it's kind of cool it's an all-northeastern regional.
Kind of like the old days when the regionals were actually REGIONAL.

As to the BC piece, I actually think it is pretty much on target. And an upgraded on campus arena absolutely needs to happen sooner than later. I'd say within 5 years. Fianlly, Berard should be the head coach. But i am concerned that he will not get it because Manuel will want to hire somebody. He didn't get to hire a football coach (though that could change). He didn't get to hire a basketball coach. He won't get to hire a womens coach even if Geno retires tomorrow. After Calhoun's game playing, Geno will insist on the same perk. So that leaves hockey. With the program heading in a new direction, he might feel this will be his one and only opportuity to put his mark on something.

Reaction Score
LOL! what exactly does surprise mean? Like win a game or 2 or finish in the middle of the pack?

Maybe Beating BCU the first game!! :) If you want to be a Moron, CTEagle, go right ahead!

Reaction Score
http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/...-from-enemy-territory-on-uconn-to-hockey-east

Some thoughts about UConn hockey in the Hockey East from a BC fan's perspective. Getting 9 scholarship players for next year is a very good start. Now we just might need an on campus arena. As some of you might already argue, Hartford might not work out in the long run. Students probably won't go to games in Hartford.

We beat out Quinnipiac, Miami (OH), RPI, Holy Cross and others for the 12th spot. Our women's team was already there, so we might have been a somewhat easy choice as the 12th member. Let's hope we can make the best of this.

We're better than UConn, we will always be better than UConn, and I hate them. I relish the opportunity to curb-stump the Huskies as much as I enjoy the thought of curb-stomping the Terriers.

Typical BCU poster... they think they'll beat us every year...(jeez, when did they last beat us in BB?).

UConn is a party school of drunken idiots

And BCU isn't?? (The hear of BCU is a drunken idoit!!)

Reaction Score
Typical BCU poster... they think they'll beat us every year...(jeez, when did they last beat us in BB?).

In hockey, they have a right to think this. This ain't basketball or football, they're actually damn good in hockey. Best program in the nation over the last 15 years by a country mile.

Reaction Score
People were saying we need our own Beanpot tournament. Well, the women's teams certainly are ahead of the men on that!

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/w-hockey/archives/nutmeg_classic

Warde would be VERY wise to hire Berard. If he doesn't hire Berard, I will have no idea what to say. He can't be stupid enough to put himself ahead of the athletic department. He'll get his chance to hire a coach when we need to can Ray Reid. Which may be very soon.

Reaction Score
Butch, I've seen a few reports that Grogan is now coming back. he was listed as a senior on the roster earlier in the year, but more recently they changed it to Redshirt Junior. Since the other guys on the roster, excepting Bartus who is a senior, have not seen a shot in anger, I hope they will have Grogan back next season. That is a critical position and going into the season not knowing what you have is a bit worrisome. though I have to say UConn has actually had a few pretty solid goaltenders who they tend to get from the bargain bin. Bartus came mid-year as a freshman. Beau Ericson was good. And Scott Tomes wasn't bad either. If I remember correctly, Tomes was a hot shot Junior player who got pretty badly injured and as a result was available after all the big time programs passed on him. He came to UConn and played quite well.

Reaction Score
Ericson ended up playing in the ECHL for a little while. I'd recommend anyone who plays in the ECHL or AHL to give Europe a shot!

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93935

Tomes only played one game in the ECHL. We obviously need to attract players who have already been drafted by NHL teams. I read on espn.com that we'll be making $11 million worth of renovations to Freitas.

Reaction Score
I didn't really follow them after UConn. But both were pretty solid college goalies. As was Bartus until this year. I saw concept plans for renovations, but no real details. Any idea where that $11 million number comes from?

Reaction Score
Apart from this article, no. $11 million doesn't sound right.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...icut-huskies-main-focus-hockey-east-expansion

Grogan has easily been better than those two (or three).
Grogan has been very good. Saw Tomes in a 1-1 tie against Brown one night that should have been about 5-1 but he single handedly kept UConn in the game. I saw all of those guys have excellent nights, but Grogan has been the most consistently good. Pretty odd that he never played until this year.

the $11 million is probably related to the concept developed by that upgrade study, I would guess. Interesting side comment on the article...Marshall commented that all the other teams on campus play in big time conferences except hockey. Now it looks like it will be the only one!

Reaction Score
In hockey, they have a right to think this. This ain't basketball or football, they're actually damn good in hockey. Best program in the nation over the last 15 years by a country mile.

I'll give you this, but I don't think we'll be pushovers.

Reaction Score
I have to agree that BC has really been the best program over at least the past decade. Even when they have relatively weaker teams, they are still good. But hockey is more like baseball than football or basketball in that a weaker team can beat a stronger one, I'd say more frequently based on the play of one guy. In baseball a great pitcher, or even a poor one who happens to have a day when he is really on, can frustrate an opponent and lead his team to a victory over an otherwise superior opponent. In hockey a hot goaltender can do the same thing. So UConn pulling an upset at some point relatively early in the series isn't beyond reason. Our problem is going to be depth in the early goings but I wouldn't expect us to be pushovers either. I have heard that there will be a couple of bigger name Hockey East teams on the non-conference slate next season, not the Merrimacks and Lowells and UMass-Amhersts we've played most of the time. If that's true we might get an early sense of how we'll stack up.

Reaction Score
You're right, a hot goalie can win a game, and I'm not saying UConn won't ever beat BC for the first five years in the league or something, it's just that this isn't basketball or football where we can expect to match or pass their program's level in 5-10 years. Hockey is the one sport where they are a legitimate and full-fledged powerhouse.

It wouldn't shock me to see UConn on the schedule of a lot of current HE teams since they're only playing a 20 game conference schedule next season, two against each of the other 10 teams. Many schools have already scheduled other HE teams as OOC games. I've seen a look at BU's tentative schedule, and I don't believe UConn is on it, but it wouldn't shock me as an addition, I know we've got Maine at Fenway as an OOC game.

Reaction Score
Couple of tidbits:

goalmouthradio 4:37pm via Web
Coach Berard has not been given an official timeline from UConn with regards to the coaching decision. Expects it sooner rather than later.

goalmouthradio 4:47pm via Web
A few coaching candidates for UConn: Rick Bennett (Union), Glenn Stewart (Merrimack) and Robbie Ftorek, who was fired from Erie in the OHL.

goalmouthradio 4:32pm via Web
With the change in UConn's athletic branding under Nike, there will be new UConn uniforms next season. Will be unveiled next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom