UConn Hockey 2012-13 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
3-3 tie today in the exhibition opener against York. Gave up a game-tying goal with 8 seconds left. Bartus played the first 2 periods. Big brawl late in the 1st, which you expect with a Canadian college involved.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see the loss at Amherst, when they get a large crowd there (mostly extraordinarily drunk students) it's a kooky place to play. They've had horrible teams there that still have found ways to embarrass the eventual HE and national champions.

Reaction Score
I went to a game in Milford for a game against Sacred Heart one of these past seasons, don't remember which year. I used to floor with hockey players when I went. Crazy bunch of people. I was yelling, "Elevate the program!", thinking we may be going to a better conference one day. One player came over to look at me and just gave me a dirty stare. WTF?

So few people for UConn. I was sitting next to some high ranking attorney for the state. He was a nice man.

Reaction Score
Just heard Marshall, on TIC this AM, prior to the FB game stating they just got another recruit to commit last nite. He probably can't say who it is until a signed LOI arrives, like hoops & FB

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Just heard Marshall, on TIC this AM, prior to the FB game stating they just got another recruit to commit last nite. He probably can't say who it is until a signed LOI arrives, like hoops & FB

austin azurdia

Reaction Score

Great play but the more important thing is that he is putting up more than a point per game in the BCHL, which is one of the top junior leagues along with the USHL. That's impressive considering he hasn't played at nearly that level until this season. If he keeps it up (and has any concept that a hockey rink has two ends) UConn may have gotten in early on a hidden gem.

Reaction Score
Certainly a great get for UConn, much less to even be recruiting one of the better players from a Canadian league. That said, scoring a point a game in a Canadian junior league doesn't mean a whole lot to production in the NCAA. There is absolutely NO defense played in those leagues. If PP put on skates he could probably score 10 goals in that league.

Reaction Score
That's a great exaggeration. While there is more scoring in the BCHL than the USHL, it is generally considered the top Canadian Junior A league and regularly churns out players (including defensemen and goaltenders) for virtually every major college hockey team - nearly 200 were on D-I rosters last season. On average roughly 2 players per BCHL team will produce more than a point per game. So, if Azurdia can keep it up that will be a tremendous achievement for a kid whose hockeydb record shows a total of one game played at the NAHL level (a lower level junior league that produced many UConn ACHA players but which better become less common if the Huskies want to be competitive in HE) prior to this season.

Reaction Score
That's a great exaggeration. While there is more scoring in the BCHL than the USHL, it is generally considered the top Canadian Junior A league and regularly churns out players (including defensemen and goaltenders) for virtually every major college hockey team - nearly 200 were on D-I rosters last season. On average roughly 2 players per BCHL team will produce more than a point per game. So, if Azurdia can keep it up that will be a tremendous achievement for a kid whose hockeydb record shows a total of one game played at the NAHL level (a lower level junior league that produced many UConn ACHA players but which better become less common if the Huskies want to be competitive in HE) prior to this season.
You're right, it's a great league that produces numerous NCAA and eventually NHL players. My team, BU, recruits heavily from the BCHL, in fact, the last four goalies that came through our program are all from the BCHL. My only point is it's been shown over and over again that a recruit's scoring in Canadian junior leagues isn't generally an accurate predictor of scoring in the NCAA. Simply a product of different styles of hockey, different officiating and rules, coaching emphasis, more lower level teams that play the trap to slow down the bigger teams, (get used to seeing this in HE!) and across the board stronger defensive teams.

Reaction Score
Sounds like we are landing a few higher level players. i assume they are coming in on the first wave of scholarships. I think this will be a transitional year but next season we should start seeing some impact in the AHA.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
got a commit today but i dont have a name

Reaction Score
got a commit today but i dont have a name

Today or yesterday?

Karl El-Mir 6 feet and 160. Tenacious left wing. Explosive set, near top of scoring for South Kent. Really good feet, has abilities to make plays around the net, excellent on the puck as well as off of it.
Providence, St. Lawrence and QU were other teams in on El-Mir, but chose UConn. (gleened from UConn Hockey Broadcaster twitter)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Today or yesterday?

Karl El-Mir 6 feet and 160. Tenacious left wing. Explosive set, near top of scoring for South Kent. Really good feet, has abilities to make plays around the net, excellent on the puck as well as off of it.
Providence, St. Lawrence and QU were other teams in on El-Mir, but chose UConn. (gleened from UConn Hockey Broadcaster twitter)

that must be him. i read firs tname karl from a tweet but had no last name...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Coach Marshall taking an indefinite leave of absence for medical reasons.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
just saw the news. hope he is ok.

on another note i wouldnt mind a new future staff wise...

Reaction Score
Slurpees, can you talk about the plans to actually improve the program? Obviously scholarships would help but simply boxscore scouting, the program has a long way to go to even be somewhat mediocre in HE. Getting swept by Niagara 8-0 on the weekend? Jesus
I really don't know, to be honest, I don't follow UConn hockey all that much, and I didn't notice they got bombed by Niagara this weekend and just saw the Marshall news, since I was out in North Dakota. (GO THERE...SERIOUSLY, GO THERE.) I would think this weekend's results may have something to do with the Marshall health situation which is, of course, sad and hopefully he ends up OK from it. I'm not fully convinced, however, that he's the guy to help make the move to a competitive HE program. Yes, he's had to recruit without scholarships, but he's also competed against some woeful programs in AHA for all of these years and has never been able to make the program into a consistent competitor in that conference, so I'm not sure the simple addition of scholarships is going to parlay into success against the top competition in the NCAA.

Other than that, I can only hope that there's some plans in place to either redo Freitas or build a new facility on campus, as the XL Center plan is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Reaction Score
Getting swept by Niagara 8-0 on the weekend? Jesus
C'mon Cleaver, UConn lost 2 games yet the prior weekend tied Union, last year's Frozen Four participant, 2-2. A tale of two weekends. UConn has a long way to go adjusting from -0- scholarships to Hockey East, but the plans are to recruit better quality players on scholarship. Captain of the obvious! Hopefully, Marshall is fine.

Reaction Score
Slurpees, can you talk about the plans to actually improve the program? Obviously scholarships would help but simply boxscore scouting, the program has a long way to go to even be somewhat mediocre in HE. Getting swept by Niagara 8-0 on the weekend? Jesus

You want to know the plans? What are you looking for? A power point slide show with 3-D pie charts? Why don't you ask Joe Bertagna? Somebody seemed convinced enough with the plan to vote to extend his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom