UConn Hockey 2012-13 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Hockey 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think any fans of the program disagree with this sentiment. But there are 2 factors that take precedence right now. first, the Hockey East deal needed a facility that held more than 1800 or so. Second, the program needs some selling and nuturing as it grows. right now the college hockey fan base in Greater Hartford is relatively small. this is an effort to grow it. Never lose the good in order to get the perfect. this move is good. The perfect is unattainable at the moment.

Reaction Score
Blah, keep it on campus where it should be.

"Should happen" and "will happen" aren't always concepts that will find a happy intersection.

I mean, if I'd had my way, we'd have had a modern D-I caliber arena 10-15 years ago, and the idea of playing in Hartford except for special occasions would not be even on the table.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
dan mele from springfield pics commits. when i was at wne i know that program went thru a lot of changes, any 1 got info on the kid or what that program now is about? i think they feed wne a shitton of kids now as they are tyring to build a good d3 puck program...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nice weekend sweep of the Skating Pegulas.

Reaction Score
I was at Friday's game. Very exciting hockey game. Nice job by the backup goalie. Took UConn a while to get untracked (after scoring 28 seconds into the game) but they seemed top pick it up later. One thing that I don't quite get is they seem to allow an awful lot of shots. I think they got out shot 39-24 Friday and 41-21 Saturday. They seem to play an awful lot of the game in their own end. When they do break out they look pretty good though.

Reaction Score
I was at Friday's game. Very exciting hockey game. Nice job by the backup goalie. Took UConn a while to get untracked (after scoring 28 seconds into the game) but they seemed top pick it up later. One thing that I don't quite get is they seem to allow an awful lot of shots. I think they got out shot 39-24 Friday and 41-21 Saturday. They seem to play an awful lot of the game in their own end. When they do break out they look pretty good though.
were they good shots though? some teams' defensive scheme is to purposely give up higher numbers of low quality shots especially if they think the opposing team won't be able to hold their zone and they can get some breakouts from it. I've seen HE teams do this quite frequently with some success. Nice two wins for UConn, even if it is against a glorified club team. Good for the fans to see they got two wins over a school they've heard of.

Reaction Score
Many of the shots were from long range, that's true. And UConn does seem to play that breakout style to some extent too. But there were several scrums in front of the net, at least two of which resulted in Penn State scores. And I don't love relying on your goaltender to stop 40 shots a night. Even if they aren't all quality shots. Actually what struck me about Penn State was that they were bigger and faster than I expected. And they've had a couple of decent wins, Ohio State in the Pittsburgh Holiday tourney for example. But I thought their goal tending in particular was suspect.

Reaction Score
Many of the shots were from long range, that's true. And UConn does seem to play that breakout style to some extent too. But there were several scrums in front of the net, at least two of which resulted in Penn State scores. And I don't love relying on your goaltender to stop 40 shots a night. Even if they aren't all quality shots. Actually what struck me about Penn State was that they were bigger and faster than I expected. And they've had a couple of decent wins, Ohio State in the Pittsburgh Holiday tourney for example. But I thought their goal tending in particular was suspect.
Ah, OK. Yeah, allowing 40 shots a night is not really the best strategy to go for, but some teams will allow the opposition to get their fair share of garbage shots and take advantage of the breakouts. I've seen teams run this against PC many times in the past, where the shots would be something like 40-20 in favor of PC, but the score would be something like 5-1 the other way. Goalie recruiting usually is the last to come along, it's a lot easier to take a mid-level winger and coach him into a breakout star or to find a diamond in the rough that other teams overlooked than it is to find an unnoticed goalie or coach one into a star. It'll come though as the program continues to (hopefully) build themselves up.

Reaction Score
UConn has actually had pretty decent goal tending over the past few years. Bartus is pretty solid. The kid before him, name escapes me, was solid. Grogan looked not too bad. The Penn State kid looked a little shakey.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Unfortunate that he won't get to coach them in Hockey East. He has really been the guy who held the program together during the years when it was easy to pick on, and from what I've heard, was instrumental in getting the Hockey East bid to fruition.

Great man and we owe him a debt of gratitude for being so instrumental in getting UCONN into Hockey East. This program is headed in the right direction.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what the deal was/is with Joe Kalisz? He was supposed to be playing at UConn this year. then I read he'd be joining the team after the break, but I haven't seen or heard anyhting about him. Wasn't on the roster for last week's game. Any news?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the update. What the heck happened to him? Leading scorer and MVP of the NAHL last year and he's playing for a club team?

Reaction Score
Ok weekend brom the Icedogs.Got a split with a good Mercyhurst club. Won Friday night 5-4 though they almost blew a 4 goal lead, then got blown out Saturday 5-0 in a game where they spent most of the night with a guy in the penalty box (42 minutes in penalties). Coach Berard was not too happy. This team needs to do two things to win. Hit and play with discipline. When they've been disciplined they have been pretty good. That was not the case Saturday. They will have to be at their very best on Tuesday night when they travel to Quinnipiac to take on one of the top teams in the country in the Quinnipiac Bobcats. Quinny is ranked #1 in the PWR hockey's equivilent of the RPI. While they will be huge underdogs, if they get great goaltending and Bartus is capable of that, though he has been less consistent this season and has shared the nets with Grogan, who knows...

Reaction Score
OTBPuckWatch 11:28am via Tweetbot for iOS
UConn has wasted no time taking some top CT-area prospects. Wasn’t sure they’d be able to loosen the stranglehold of other NE institutions.

goalmouthradio 11:27am via Twitter for Android
Jesse Schwartz commits to UConn. Details to follow.

goalmouthradio 11:29am via Web
Schwartz is the third member from South Kent to commit to UConn. Spent last season with Mississauga of the OJHL.

goalmouthradio 11:29am via Web
Scored 32 points (12g,20a) in 46 games with the Chargers last season. Plays on a line with Salvaggio this year.

goalmouthradio 11:31am via Web
The 18 year old forward stands at 5'10'' and 175 and is a native of Toronto.

goalmouthradio 11:34am via Web
Schwartz, a RW, a selected by the Erie Otters in the OHL priority draft. Made the decision to play NCAA hockey

OTBPuckWatch 11:30am via Tweetbot for iOS
Might not seem like a huge coup, but a number of traditional prep powers are CT-based, as well as, now, South Kent/Selects Academy…

Reaction Score
Nice get. CT isn't exactly a major hotbed for recruiting, but there are some good players to be had from the private schools. Nick Bonino (BU) of Anaheim came from Old Farms, and the Atkinson brothers (BC), Cam plays for Columbus, came out of Greenwich. It'd be some time before UConn would have a realistic shot at players of that caliber, but if they can get some of their teammates, that's a step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
They also won a pair from Bentley on Sunday and Monday, 4-1 and 9-0. Moved into a tie for 4th in the conference with a big series this weekend. Friday night Holy Cross comes to Freitas, and on Saturday UConn heads up the Pike to Holy Cross. The teams are currently tied for 4th and a 1st round bye in the conference tourney.

Reaction Score
Huskies are having a very nice run right now. They took 2 wins at Army this weekend and with 1 weekend remaining are in 3rd place in the league standings. Holy Cross, in 4th has a game tonight against Sacred Heart and a pair with Army next weekend. Top 4 earn a 1st round bye and home ice for the next playoff round. This team has really put together a solid run since the break. 12-6-1 starting in the UConn Holiday Tournament.They've moved from 9th place to 3rd in a month. Haven't had a 0 point weekend since December and they have bounced back from a couple of tough losses to win games they needed to win. they lost to Holy Cross at home but managed to bounce back and win in Worcester 2 weeks ago. Sacred Heart, this weekend's opponent has struggled, to put it mildly. They were 0-24-2 going into last weekend, but have not quit. They beat Holy Cross last week and followed that up with a win and a tie against Bentley. So they have been playing much better. UConn needs to be on its game this weekend and absolutley cannot take anything for granted. After last year's epic collapse, losing 4 of their last 6 against the bottom of the league, they seem far more focused this time around. And with a week off and home ice on the line, they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom