UConn hires Raphael Chillious | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn hires Raphael Chillious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really nice interview with Joe D. Talked about the type of guys he likes to recruit and how he leaves no stone unturned in recruiting, even going so far as to talk to teachers the player might not have gotten along with for one reason or another. Think we're going to like this guy.

Reaction Score
What did he say about UConn? I heard the part about FUltz and Isaiah.

Reaction Score
What did he say about UConn? I heard the part about FUltz and Isaiah.
I missed the first couple minutes I think but he talked about even when he was unemployed he was still talking to players he had a relationship with and that once he gets a grasp on what KO and DK want to get in players he'll be on those sorts quick. Seems confident in his abilities to recruit and likes to do it.

Reaction Score
I wonder if this means we jump back in with Immanuel Quickley, a consensus 5 star guard from Maryland. Chillious had Washington high up on his list, mirroring what happened with Fultz (from the same area). I know Quickley recently cut his list and both us and UW weren't on it, but stranger things have happened in recruiting than a team being added to a list due to coaching movement.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I wonder if this means we jump back in with Immanuel Quickley, a consensus 5 star guard from Maryland. Chillious had Washington high up on his list, mirroring what happened with Fultz (from the same area). I know Quickley recently cut his list and both us and UW weren't on it, but stranger things have happened in recruiting than a team being added to a list due to coaching movement.
I kind of doubt we're going to focus on true PGs for 2018. My guess is it's combo guards (Carey & Duke), wings (Reddish, King, Reeves, Wilson, maybe Swider) and bigs (Shittu!).

Chillious & Shittu follow each other on social media fwiw, and Chillious has a background in Canadian hoops. I'm starting to like our chances.

Reaction Score
I kind of doubt we're going to focus on true PGs for 2018. My guess is it's combo guards (Carey & Duke), wings (Reddish, King, Reeves, Wilson, maybe Swider) and bigs (Shittu!).

Chillious & Shittu follow each other on social media fwiw, and Chillious has a background in Canadian hoops. I'm starting to like our chances.
Chillious will be all over Quickley, they are tight.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Chillious will be all over Quickley, they are tight.
I'm sure he'll keep the relationship alive, but I doubt PGs will be a priority. My guess is he'll live in Shittu's pocket.

Reaction Score
He'll be a priority, they are extremely close. No way does he not prioritize a top 10 player he is very close with.
Especially in the 2pg, possibly 3 guard lineup we're going to run. Although Shittu is my #1 want, if there's any chance with Quickley he's going to take it

Reaction Score
Quickley cut Washington when Washington cut Chillious.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
He'll be a priority, they are extremely close. No way does he not prioritize a top 10 player he is very close with.
Doubt it. Would be stupid to waste resources going head-to-head against UK to compete for a kid who plays at a position where we'll already be deep.

Again: If he falls into our laps, that'd be great. But my guess is we read about UConn going 3 deep for Shittu, Carey and the Boston kids, not Quickley.

EDIT: And I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong and we land this kid.

Reaction Score
After listening to the interview..definitely feel pretty good about this guy. I like the way he describes his recruiting process

Reaction Score
Doubt it. Would be stupid to waste resources going head-to-head against UK to compete for a kid who plays at a position where we'll already be deep.

Again: If he falls into our laps, that'd be great. But my guess is we read about UConn going 3 deep for Shittu, Carey and the Boston kids, not Quickley.

EDIT: And I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong and we land this kid.
We brought Chillious in to go head to head with the top schools. We will be going after the top talent regardless if there are good kids already at that position. It doesn't stop other schools and shouldn't stop UConn, no more small time thinking. The beltway is Chillious most plugged in area and he's not going to stop recruiting a kid he's developed a great relationship with. What makes you say he will be prioritizing Reeves and Duke?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
We brought Chillious in to go head to head with the top schools.
Yes. That doesn't mean we'll throw away common sense when it comes to figuring out which recruits to target.

We need bigs and wings in 2018 far more than we need another PG. Chillious and the staff can only be so many places at once.
What makes you say he will be prioritizing Reeves and Duke?
The fact that we've already done so over the last 6-12 months.

Reaction Score
Yes. That doesn't mean we'll throw away common sense when it comes to figuring out which recruits to target.

We need bigs and wings in 2018 far more than we need another PG. Chillious and the staff can only be so many places at once.

The fact that we've already done so over the last 6-12 months.
I don't expect him to just pick up with recruiting the same kids we targeted before, that's not the reason we brought him in. We want to play postionless basketball and we have a ton of ships over the next couple of years.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I don't expect him to just pick up with recruiting the same kids we targeted before, that's not the reason we brought him in.
I disagree. We've targeted great kids in both the 5-star and 4-star range, and have had trouble closing the deal with a number of them. I suspect for 2018 he's here to help give us a push on the likes of Shittu and Reddish in particular, who are guys we've been recruiting all along. I also don't think we're going to stop recruiting guys like Reeves, Carey or Duke, who are in the 50-100 range (which is right in line with many of the guys Chillious has helped sign over the years for UW).

Over the last 5 years our talent ID has been good. Our prioritization has been bad, and our ability to close the deal has been middling. I think Chillious is here to help on those last two factors more than the first.

Reaction Score
Positionless basketball is cool, but you also need a couple kids who can touch the rim. That being said, I'm assuming he's not going to back off on a 5* that he's tight with.
My reason for saying that is there is no way he stops recruiting a top 10 kid he's been very close with for a while because we already have a couple of kids who can play point. Amazed some people still worry about having too many ballhandlers when they've seen how good we have been in the past with a team full of guys who can handle and how bad we have looked when we only have a couple of guys who can handle.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
My reason for saying that is there is no way he stops recruiting a top 10 kid he's been very close with for a while because we already have a couple of kids who can play point.
At no point did I say he'd stop recruiting Quickley, but please keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom