UConn Headed To Big 12?? That's The Unofficial Report | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn Headed To Big 12?? That's The Unofficial Report

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
UConn with power conference resources and consistency in the staff were incredibly competitive, winning the Big East twice and making a BCS, basketball we don't need to talk about we know I hate when people say this program won't be competitive in the Big 12 I know a lot of these people weren't around for their programs doormat days but look into Kansas State before Bill Snyder, we know about Kansas, Oklahoma State before the Big 12 would be happy to finish on footing with Missouri or Colorado, BYU and West Virginia have historically been the most consistent from the conference, these schools would not be where they are at now if it wasn't for coaching and a trusting athletic department with P5 money.

Reaction Score
The management decisions both in coaching hires and building an off campus stadium have been mind boggling. At this point the SEC and the B1G have their pick of ACC and Big 12 teams when they become available. There will be no realignment without network approval.

Reaction Score
The management decisions both in coaching hires and building an off campus stadium have been mind boggling. At this point the SEC and the B1G have their pick of ACC and Big 12 teams when they become available. There will be no realignment without network approval. I’m obsessed with UConn and I can’t stop talking about it. Take me daddy.

Interesting take.

Reaction Score
Let’s start with Hurley..he grew up in NJ..played basketball in the big east… it’s well known he loves the big east..his family is from NJ and Conn and can go to a lot of away games in the big east..UConn and the big east have a shared history.. and UConn is the king of the big east.. if a recruit wants to play in the northeast the chances are UConn will get that recruit… the big east tournament in MSG is best tournament in college basketball and UConn fills MSG with fans.. it’s a special time for UConn..the big 12 tournament is Kansas.. we have no history with the teams in the big12 and the conference is a southwestern conference..our players and coaches would be flying cross country most away games.. recruiting will take a dive..we loss our advantage of being northeastern school in a northeastern conference to northeast school recruiting in a southwest conference
Hurley wants UConn in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I can't believe I had to go three pages into this thread to find some plain healthy skepticism. Amazing how much "per a source" and "where there's smoke there's fire" can give rise to. Completely unprincipled wishful thinking click baiting by this podcaster.
Here to own my misplaced skepticism in that there was at least a meeting and this pod appears to have gotten some sort of scoop.

Reaction Score
Is this a way to put pressure on the ACC to offer a spot to UConn? ACC grabs UConn before the B12

Reaction Score
Cajun Husky raises a good point. This is why I would prefer the ACC even with its questionable future. But if the offer came from the B12, I guess you have to take it,

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
On Football; hoping we can engineer a 4 year wait (rather than 7), with the idea that in years 5-7, we don't get any media $ for road games and we keep whatever media $ we can muster for our home games (separate contract- outside of the current B12 deal).

On Basketball, ESPN ponies up $12-15m per year (nearly a 1/2 B12 share) and we start in 2026.

We cannot agree to a minimum number of football wins or to building a new on campus stadium. But we can agree to a formula for a minimum spending level on football staffing, and to making major upgrades to the Rent by 2031 if we do not greenlight an on campus stadium. By major upgrades, the Rent has good bones, but electronics/lockers/suites need an overhaul. I know we have some $ in the current CDA budget, but I think the B12 will demand something far flashier.

Fortunately we have the right Gov in office right now to make this happen.

Reaction Score
Until the Big12 falls apart from the final round of conference realignment in 5 years and UConn is left with no back up plan as the Big East ship will have sailed.

The plan has always been for the Big 10 and SEC to create two super conferences and then leave the NCAA together.

Or the Big 12 adds ACC schools and upgrades itself. Then you would want to be in the Big 12. The B1G and SEC have never had plans to create a super conference, they have done everything to avoid that because:

1.) They can't afford it.

2.) TV wants it.

Fans on social media SAY that they want it, convince themselves of this, and then run with it as if it is fact. If anything the P4 would split off, from a legislative standpoint.

Reaction Score
ACC got schools actively seeking to leave. Are they even in a position to take a vote to add anyone?

Also ESPN wasn't happy about their last expansion of Stanford, Cal and SMU. ESPN has money budgeted for Big 12 expansion but the ACC wasted their expansion goodwill and money last year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Also ESPN wasn't happy about their last expansion of Stanford, Cal and SMU. ESPN has money budgeted for Big 12 expansion but the ACC wasted their expansion goodwill and money last year.
Who's your source?

And if ESPN had budgeted expansion money, who was it for instead of these three (which really was two because SMU came at zero cost)?

Reaction Score
Who's your source?

And if ESPN had budgeted expansion money, who was it for instead of these three (which really was two because SMU came at zero cost)?
Didn't really come at zero cost to espn. Their taking SMUs pro rata share and dividing it up. Great way to run a conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Strange that the ACC has not reached out to UConn. BCU and possibly Syracuse are two chess moves from being checkmated, and they are just sitting tight. If the Big 12 adds UConn, and maybe Pitt or UVA after the ACC dissolves with a Clemson and FSU departure, then BCU and possibly Syracuse are finished. If the Big 12 already has UConn, then NO league is adding BCU. If the ACC falls apart, BCU could end up downgrading to the Patriot League. Syracuse has a shot at a soft landing, not sure how to handicap it.

Everyone can play out those outcomes, so why are they not doing something about it? It is possible that the FSU and Clemson suits are theatre to get ESPN to boost its contract with the ACC. Otherwise, the last thing that the ACC should want is another conference having a program in the northeast. You would think they would intervene to invite UConn.

Reaction Score
Strange that the ACC has not reached out to UConn. BCU and possibly Syracuse are two chess moves from being checkmated, and they are just sitting tight. If the Big 12 adds UConn, and maybe Pitt or UVA after the ACC dissolves with a Clemson and FSU departure, then BCU and possibly Syracuse are finished. If the Big 12 already has UConn, then NO league is adding BCU. If the ACC falls apart, BCU could end up downgrading to the Patriot League. Syracuse has a shot at a soft landing, not sure how to handicap it.

Everyone can play out those outcomes, so why are they not doing something about it? It is possible that the FSU and Clemson suits are theatre to get ESPN to boost its contract with the ACC. Otherwise, the last thing that the ACC should want is another conference having a program in the northeast. You would think they would intervene to invite UConn.
Maybe the ACC can make a call to UConn over the next few weeks given interest from the B12

Reaction Score

I'm not so sure the ACC isn't or hasn't at this point. The best part of the BE's nee deal was no ESPN. If ESPN views UConn content was worth having, they may be facilitating this, and for once we could come out not getting shafted.

Reaction Score
On Football; hoping we can engineer a 4 year wait (rather than 7), with the idea that in years 5-7, we don't get any media $ for road games and we keep whatever media $ we can muster for our home games (separate contract- outside of the current B12 deal).

On Basketball, ESPN ponies up $12-15m per year (nearly a 1/2 B12 share) and we start in 2026.

We cannot agree to a minimum number of football wins or to building a new on campus stadium. But we can agree to a formula for a minimum spending level on football staffing, and to making major upgrades to the Rent by 2031 if we do not greenlight an on campus stadium. By major upgrades, the Rent has good bones, but electronics/lockers/suites need an overhaul. I know we have some $ in the current CDA budget, but I think the B12 will demand something far flashier.

Fortunately we have the right Gov in office right now to make this happen.
BIG 12 better not want us to be the SMU of their conference. (where we basically pay to join)

Reaction Score

I can see Syracuse getting into the Big XII. I don't think UConn has animosity towards them and wouldn't try to block them. I feel like UConn getting into the Big XII is Yormarks plan to try and attract schools like Syracuse, Pitt, Duke and other basketball focused schools. I think Cuse's problem is, they hold themselves in such high regard that they consider themselves a shoo-in for the B1G.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

This is a good point but I doubt FSU and Clemson are posturing to get more money for the ACC.

More likely there is real animosity and division within the ACC. FSU’s legal action argues against your scenario. FSU and Clemson’s attitude and treatment of UConn in the first realignment situation hasn’t changed. What has changed is UNC has recognized that the college sports power is in football and rationally realized they are no longer the leader in decision making in the ACC. And they’re tired of butting heads with those two schools. Plus they are a valuable property to both the SEC and the BIG so they want the ACC to implode and are happy to have FSU do the heavy lifting for that to happen.

ESPN’s declaration that the UConn add is revenue neutral for existing Big 12 members is not helpful for the ACC unless it’s a leverage play on the part of ESPN to push the ACC to add UConn. It would be in ESPN’s interest to get UConn’s value into the ACC vs. the Big12. They take a valuable Fox asset away and can do it for less cost. If that doesn’t happen, and I’ve argued it’s unlikely, they would be happy to get UConn in the Big12.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure the ACC isn't or hasn't at this point. The best part of the BE's nee deal was no ESPN. If ESPN views UConn content was worth having, they may be facilitating this, and for once we could come out not getting shafted.
Guessing ESPN getting UConn to Big 12 would weaken FOX’s BE.

Reaction Score
Big stadiums are a thing of the past. A middle of the road 45,000 person on campus or campus adjacent stadium would send a bigger message that we are serious about football.

UConn football is a chicken or the egg scenario right now. It's no coincidence our best years were in a "power" conference. They need to get better to be taken seriously but to be better they need to be taken seriously (aka play in a real league).

NIL and transfers are how the program needs to be built right now. Any donations to the program should go to NIL and we should break any NCAA rules that get in the way of recruiting better players.
Does UConn have a large enough football fan base to fill a 45,000 seat stadium?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom