UConn Headed To Big 12?? That's The Unofficial Report | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Headed To Big 12?? That's The Unofficial Report

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No I am not operating under that assumption at all. Realignment has nothing to do with how well regarded the UConn brand is and never has. That seems to be the incorrect assumption YOU are making.

No one cares about UConns brand and people aren't going to save UConn because they deserve to be saved. In fact a lot of people will gleefully watch the university sink and that is what I am predicting will happen if they go to the Big 12. It's the reason they ended up in the AAC in the first place instead of the ACC. If you want history to repeat itself, go to the Big 12.

And P5s will inf act leave the NCAA because they are the middle man, collecting money that they could be dividing amongst themselves.
That is an opinion and not based on facts but feelings. The Big 12 would keep other sports alive or did you miss how much is spent on sports now.

Reaction Score
Surprised by some of the comments in this thread. If UConn got into the Big 12 I would be jumping for joy. The Big 12 is stable, has quality football and excellent basketball. With further expansion, they are set up nicely for an east and west coast conference which would alleviate the travel issue that these mega conferences have. I would probably take my family out for a celebratory dinner near Storrs if this happened and then get ice cream at the Dairy Barn.

Reaction Score
Why?
Another Big East truther. UConn's success is tied to the shared history of fellow Big East founders Seton Hall and Georgetown.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Another Big East truther. UConn's success is tied to the shared history of fellow Big East founders Seton Hall and Georgetown.
Yep. Sometimes, I like to have people walk through things themselves. When they are forced to try to support statements like that, they realize the folly in them.

Reaction Score
Why?
Let’s start with Hurley..he grew up in NJ..played basketball in the big east… it’s well known he loves the big east..his family is from NJ and Conn and can go to a lot of away games in the big east..UConn and the big east have a shared history.. and UConn is the king of the big east.. if a recruit wants to play in the northeast the chances are UConn will get that recruit… the big east tournament in MSG is best tournament in college basketball and UConn fills MSG with fans.. it’s a special time for UConn..the big 12 tournament is Kansas.. we have no history with the teams in the big12 and the conference is a southwestern conference..our players and coaches would be flying cross country most away games.. recruiting will take a dive..we loss our advantage of being northeastern school in a northeastern conference to northeast school recruiting in a southwest conference

Reaction Score
... it’s the ACC that will soon be writing the same obituary the PAC 10 wrote
Dancing Pallbearers GIF by Jason Clarke

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
some here overestimate the value of some of these programs it feels, I strongly doubt there will be a moment where the SEC and the Big 10 eat up what's left of the Big 12

IMO the most valuable teams left in conference realignment goes something like this

1. ND
2. UNC
3. FSU
4. Clem

5. KU
6. UVA
8. Duke

the Big 12 schools are valuable enough to be in a power conference, but not valuable enough to join the SEC or Big 10.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let’s start with Hurley..he grew up in NJ..played basketball in the big east… it’s well known he loves the big east..his family is from NJ and Conn and can go to a lot of away games in the big east..UConn and the big east have a shared history.. and UConn is the king of the big east.. if a recruit wants to play in the northeast the chances are UConn will get that recruit… the big east tournament in MSG is best tournament in college basketball and UConn fills MSG with fans.. it’s a special time for UConn..the big 12 tournament is Kansas.. we have no history with the teams in the big12 and the conference is a southwestern conference..our players and coaches would be flying cross country most away games.. recruiting will take a dive..we loss our advantage of being northeastern school in a northeastern conference to northeast school recruiting in a southwest conference
So let me take those on one at a time.

The notion that Bob and Christine Hurley wouldn't be able to attend away games because they're not drivable from New Jersey doesn't seem like much of a detriment to me. Multimillionaire Dan Hurley can certainly buy them plane tickets, or for that matter, get them a charter. (Of course, he probably can get them on board the team charter if he chooses as well.)

The notion that UConn and the big east have shared History might be better stated that Connecticut fans have memories of the old
Big East. With the exception of Georgetown, who no longer is the program that we remember, most of the teams left in the big east worthy "bad" games that people didn't care about. Certainly, Connecticut has no meaningful history with Depaul, Creighton, Xavier, etc. I guess nova could be the exception, but with the departure of Jay Wright, I'm not sure how competitive they will be.

If "a recruit wants to play in the Northeast" They will still be playing in the northeast if Connecticut changes conferences. Changing conferences mean that we're going to load up the moving trucks and move out of Storrs. Connecticut right now is a destination school for top players. The reason for that has nothing to do with regionalism. The notion that that is somehow hinged to being a part of a conference that really started in 2013, is flawed.

Regarding the notion that flying out to the midwest would somehow be a death knell for our program overlooks the point that we are currently doing just that for games to Depaul, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, etc. Do those games not count because the conference name includes the word "east?"

Now, you and I can't agree that playing in Madison Square Garden is a terrific venue, particularly for Connecticut fans. Seeing the big tournament in MSG is a phenomenal event, now that we're back in particular. I'll miss it but I would fully expect Connecticut to schedule games in various tournaments at MSG and all likelihood have at least one Big 12 game there, perhaps as an early season tournament challenge. Yormark is not an idiot and he is well aware of the value of the New York market. Where the big 12 to offer us, I think it is very likely that he would try to exploit and leverage our presence in that market.

The more important point that I think you may be missing is that getting paid 4.5 million in media distributions, which is scheduled to go up to 6.5 million in the new deal is not sustainable. Essentially, our conference media rights distributions almost pay for our head coaches salary, never mind the entire coaching staff salary. Salaries across-the-board for all sports are only going to increase. In addition to that, we also have the NIL settlement payments. Right now, the legislature has decided that state of Connecticut taxpayers can put that bill. As those numbers increase something has to give. What that something might be is the decision to continue playing high major sports. Right now, we are on the outside looking in at teams with the finances and higher media presence that makes them the quote "power" schools. Though Dan Hurley and staff has done a phenomenal job making us competitive. It's hard to see how we'll be able to put the bill as cost continue to escalate. That seems to be the thing that people who oppose a potential move forget about while they focus on memories of a big East conference that no longer exists.

Our main rivalries with teams like Syracuse and BC are gone. Rivalries with once great teams like Georgetown and St. John's don't exist, either given the decline of the relevancy of those teams. Sure, there are regional games with teams like Seton Hall, and Providence that were yawn inducing in the old big east, but it's hard to use that as a justification for the notion that moving conferences would somehow hurt Connecticut. If we moved, things would no doubt be different, but the pros seem to outweigh the cons by a very wide margin.

Reaction Score
So let me take those on one at a time.

The notion that Bob and Christine Hurley wouldn't be able to attend away games because they're not drivable from New Jersey doesn't seem like much of a detriment to me. Multimillionaire Dan Hurley can certainly buy them plane tickets, or for that matter, get them a charter. (Of course, he probably can get them on board the team charter if he chooses as well.)

The notion that UConn and the big east have shared History might be better stated that Connecticut fans have memories of the old
Big East. With the exception of Georgetown, who no longer is the program that we remember, most of the teams left in the big east worthy "bad" games that people didn't care about. Certainly, Connecticut has no meaningful history with Depaul, Creighton, Xavier, etc. I guess nova could be the exception, but with the departure of Jay Wright, I'm not sure how competitive they will be.

If "a recruit wants to play in the Northeast" They will still be playing in the northeast if Connecticut changes conferences. Changing conferences mean that we're going to load up the moving trucks and move out of Storrs. Connecticut right now is a destination school for top players. The reason for that has nothing to do with regionalism. The notion that that is somehow hinged to being a part of a conference that really started in 2013, is flawed.

Regarding the notion that flying out to the midwest would somehow be a death knell for our program overlooks the point that we are currently doing just that for games to Depaul, Creighton, Marquette, Xavier, etc. Do those games not count because the conference name includes the word "east?"

Now, you and I can't agree that playing in Madison Square Garden is a terrific venue, particularly for Connecticut fans. Seeing the big tournament in MSG is a phenomenal event, now that we're back in particular. I'll miss it but I would fully expect Connecticut to schedule games in various tournaments at MSG and all likelihood have at least one Big 12 game there, perhaps as an early season tournament challenge. Yormark is not an idiot and he is well aware of the value of the New York market. Where the big 12 to offer us, I think it is very likely that he would try to exploit and leverage our presence in that market.

The more important point that I think you may be missing is that getting paid 4.5 million in media distributions, which is scheduled to go up to 6.5 million in the new deal is not sustainable. Essentially, our conference media rights distributions almost pay for our head coaches salary, never mind the entire coaching staff salary. Salaries across-the-board for all sports are only going to increase. In addition to that, we also have the NIL settlement payments. Right now, the legislature has decided that state of Connecticut taxpayers can put that bill. As those numbers increase something has to give. What that something might be is the decision to continue playing high major sports. Right now, we are on the outside looking in at teams with the finances and higher media presence that makes them the quote "power" schools. Though Dan Hurley and staff has done a phenomenal job making us competitive. It's hard to see how we'll be able to put the bill as cost continue to escalate. That seems to be the thing that people who oppose a potential move forget about while they focus on memories of a big East conference that no longer exists.

Our main rivalries with teams like Syracuse and BC are gone. Rivalries with once great teams like Georgetown and St. John's don't exist, either given the decline of the relevancy of those teams. Sure, there are regional games with teams like Seton Hall, and Providence that were yawn inducing in the old big east, but it's hard to use that as a justification for the notion that moving conferences would somehow hurt Connecticut. If we moved, things would no doubt be different, but the pros seem to outweigh the cons by a very wide margin.
CL82, didn’t you know Luna’s last name is Tic? Not worth all the thought that went into your post. All UConn fans get a kick out of the trek to MSG for BE tourney, but also most realize we are in a death spiral if something doesn’t break for us soon. Zanetto will get a statue in front of Gampel if he is right, but sadly, looks like hogwash. In the meantime, buy tix, donate to collectives, and enjoy the ride!

Reaction Score
I definitively think it's smart to sacrifice the entire athletic department for half a week in New York City.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what people are looking for. It reminds me of the old fairy tale about the fisherman who caught the fish who gave him three wishes to be set free and squandered all of them. Uconn is in a very good basketball conference and has won TWO straight national championships. Conferences tend to rise and fall. Right now the BIg East is good, and in the near future they will be great. Uconn is not going to spend the amount of money it takes to move up to a powerhouse in football and anyone who thinks they are is delusional. If they want to continue the program they should contact the other schools from the old Yankee Conference and schedule them. It would be more realistic for the players and put a stop to making the sacrifical lambs for a quick paycheck.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn isn't in a P5 right now because it pissed on enough schools when they left the Big East that they didn't get an invite to the ACC when the time came a decade later. There is no P5 anymore if you haven't noticed, the Pac 12 is gone.
Girl? Boo! You don't know what you're talking about. Ignore

Reaction Score
What would I do at work?
If we get in the Big 12, we will be selling out The Rent soon after.
Heck we beat Iowa St and Baylor when we were just getting started as a IA. You’d think if we were on even footing we’d kill it. Sad that we had an Edsall 2.0 to diminish what he accomplished as 1.0, he did a heck of a job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom