UConn has all the pieces | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn has all the pieces

Reaction Score
Well said. If she can break out of her shell, maybe we’ll see why she was ranked so highly coming out of high school.
I think we already know why Amari was highly ranked in high school. She’s a mobile big with long arms and a smooth shooting touch. She’s an adept shot blocker and was a clever passer, and has an excellent turn-and-shoot game in the post.

But by her own account, she wasn’t used to playing against kids her own size. I’m hoping for an effect similar to what we saw with Aubrey this year. Geno said she played like she knew he couldn’t take her out and she had a great season. If Amari has a similar experience and isn’t worried about being taken out so quickly, maybe gets 10-15 mins/g in Nov-Dec, she may discover that her skills can work against D1 competition.

Dorka was maximum energy all the time — a big who regularly dove for loose balls. It may have been hard to compete against that in practice (given how few practices we were able to run last season) and maybe a bit intimidating. But now that Amari is the biggest kid on the block, she may feel freer to emulate Dorka and just throw herself into each game. That would be a thing, wouldn’t it?

I’d love to see what practice looks like with Amari and Jana playing against each other. Geno and CD will learn everything they need to know just by watching them work out together.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we already know why Amari was highly ranked in high school. She’s a mobile big with long arms and a smooth shooting touch. She’s an adept shot blocker and was a clever passer, and has an excellent turn-and-shoot game in the post.

But by her own account, she wasn’t used to playing against kids her own size. I’m hoping for an effect similar to what we saw with Aubrey this year. Geno said she played like she knew he couldn’t take her out and she had a great season. If Amari has a similar experience and isn’t worried about being taken out so quickly, maybe gets 10-15 mins/g in Nov-Dec, she may discover that her skills can work against D1 competition.

Dorka was maximum energy all the time — a big who regularly dove for loose balls. It may have been hard to compete against that in practice (given how few practices we were able to run last season) and maybe a bit intimidating. But now that Amari is the biggest kid on the block, she may feel freer to emulate Dorka and just throw herself into each game. That would be a thing, wouldn’t it?

I’d love to see what practice looks like with Amari and Jana playing against each other. Geno and CD will learn everything they need to know just by watching them work out together.
I have said before, only slightly kidding, that I would love to see Amari come into a game, be super aggressive and foul out. Amari has all the skills necessary to be a successful BIG. She only lacks the consistent effort necessary to be truly effective at the D1level. Like most UConn fans, I am hopeful that changes this coming season.

sun

Reaction Score
I think Amari needs to develop physical maturity which isn't necessarily in her control.
Maybe her bones grew faster than her agility, speed & coordination.
Her other systems need time to catch up with her physical growth so she can be closer to her peak performance level.
Fast physical growth in one area doesn't mean that all of her other attributes will develop at the same rate.

Some players get better as they mature while other players can actually become worse.
Hormones can cause physical changes that individuals can't control.
Maybe there's things that she doesn't want to do or can't do because they're potentially injurious, risky & too difficult.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She has a great potential. I too am hoping she will rise to the occasion. And with the depth on this team, I can see a great year coming. Great posts. Thanks. Now
Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
This is Amari's year!

You heard it here first. Don't bother asking my reasons. I don't have any, or: "We don't need no stinking reasons." I'm going with my gut.

Go Amari!
Jimmy Fallon Yes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I agree. This is going to my girl's year. Let's go, Amari!!

Reaction Score
I think I'm more in your camp. Sure we can all see traits suggest a high upside, alongside traits that suggest she may never be a relevant member of a Uconn rotation. For me the sophomore year was a key and Amari didn't step up for whatever reason.

I'm sure if people racked their brains and went back far enough they could find examples of someone who did nothing in their first two years and then came on in their junior or senior year. I'm equally sure that when that did happen, it was the exception, not the rule, and very rare. The more logical conclusion is the opposite, that if you don't show much in the first two years it is not going to happen.

Sometimes you can blame a lack of playing time on tremendous competition, but Amar had opportunities in both seasons. In her first year we went with a very limited three big rotation. Even when Liv or Dorka was injured, small ball was often preferred to using Amari. In her second year neither she nor Ayanna played well enough to secure that third big role on a consistent basis, but if anything it was Ayanna not Amari, a very raw freshmen who also had a disappointing season. Opportunity was there for the taking and it didn't happen.

I hope I am wrong, but don't see much in the way of logic behind projecting Amari showing a dramatic improvement, just hope. Forgetting the possibility of Aaliyah starting at the 5, if you look at just Ice, Jana and Amari, I think Ice and Jana are close as dual favorites to start and Amari is a very distant third.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think I'm more in your camp. Sure we can all see traits suggest a high upside, alongside traits that suggest she may never be a relevant member of a Uconn rotation. For me the sophomore year was a key and Amari didn't step up for whatever reason.

I'm sure if people racked their brains and went back far enough they could find examples of someone who did nothing in their first two years and then came on in their junior or senior year. I'm equally sure that when that did happen, it was the exception, not the rule, and very rare. The more logical conclusion is the opposite, that if you don't show much in the first two years it is not going to happen.

Sometimes you can blame a lack of playing time on tremendous competition, but Amar had opportunities in both seasons. In her first year we went with a very limited three big rotation. Even when Liv or Dorka was injured, small ball was often preferred to using Amari. In her second year neither she nor Ayanna played well enough to secure that third big role on a consistent basis, but if anything it was Ayanna not Amari, a very raw freshmen who also had a disappointing season. Opportunity was there for the taking and it didn't happen.

I hope I am wrong, but don't see much in the way of logic behind projecting Amari showing a dramatic improvement, just hope. Forgetting the possibility of Aaliyah starting at the 5, if you look at just Ice, Jana and Amari, I think Ice and Jana are close as dual favorites to start and Amari is a very distant third.
The player that comes to mind as a “late bloomer” is Kiah Stokes, a highly touted HS AA who’s first two years were largely confined to mop up duty. Kiah’s problem wasn’t necessarily effort. She played hard. But she had the worst hands I had ever seen, frequently fumbling rebounds and point blank layups.

About midway through her junior season, Kiah had a transformation. She started grabbing rebounds, making layups and she was a terror defending the paint. While Kiah was never a starter for UConn, she became an exceptional sixth man off the bench and, ultimately, a first round draft choice in the W.

So if Amari can fill our modest hope of providing solid minutes off the bench every game, she will fulfill her potential while providing the Huskies with a key contributor in the paint.

Reaction Score
The player that comes to mind as a “late bloomer” is Kiah Stokes, a highly touted HS AA who’s first two years were largely confined to mop up duty. Kiah’s problem wasn’t necessarily effort. She played hard. But she had the worst hands I had ever seen, frequently fumbling rebounds and point blank layups.

About midway through her junior season, Kiah had a transformation. She started grabbing rebounds, making layups and she was a terror defending the paint. While Kiah was never a starter for UConn, she became an exceptional sixth man off the bench and, ultimately, a first round draft choice in the W.

So if Amari can fill our modest hope of providing solid minutes off the bench every game, she will fulfill her potential while providing the Huskies with a key contributor in the paint.
The major difference, other than the motor, between the two is the combination/blending of athleticism and strength Stokes has that DeBerry just doesn't have. And it can't be taught.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The major difference, other than the motor, between the two is the combination/blending of athleticism and strength Stokes has that DeBerry just doesn't have. And it can't be taught.
Yes, Kiah was more athletic. But Amari has better hands, shooting and passing skills. I am hoping that someone, perhaps Jamelle, figures out how to rev up Amari’s motor.

Reaction Score
Yes, Kiah was more athletic. But Amari has better hands, shooting and passing skills. I am hoping that someone, perhaps Jamelle, figures out how to rev up Amari’s motor.
As I said in the post you quoted, the key is the combination. Strength is a large factor of that. It allows Stokes to maintain a very wide and solid base plus physical presence when positioning on both O and D. It lets her use her butt and arms for leverage to move bodies without grabbing or pushing and prevents opponents, particularly smaller ones, from getting up under her and into her chest and tying her up. In contrast, DeBerry plays upright and high from a narrow base and tends to try to reach over people instead of carving out her own space and results in her getting moved around a lot and picking up all those cheap fouls. That comes from her lack of the combination, especially strength. So the lack of motor is actually just about half of the overall problem and it's very difficult to overcome the natural limitations.

Reaction Score
As I said in the post you quoted, the key is the combination. Strength is a large factor of that. It allows Stokes to maintain a very wide and solid base plus physical presence when positioning on both O and D. It lets her use her butt and arms for leverage to move bodies without grabbing or pushing and prevents opponents, particularly smaller ones, from getting up under her and into her chest and tying her up. In contrast, DeBerry plays upright and high from a narrow base and tends to try to reach over people instead of carving out her own space and results in her getting moved around a lot and picking up all those cheap fouls. That comes from her lack of the combination, especially strength. So the lack of motor is actually just about half of the overall problem and it's very difficult to overcome the natural limitations.
A good analysis. But you may have neglected one natural gift Amari has: really long arms. Is it enough to counterbalance the weaknesses you mention until she learns to take up more space in the paint? That’s a good question. Those long arms may distract her from the need to develop those other habits.

Reaction Score
I would agree that Amari has better shooting and passing skills, and also good shot blocking skills. Emphasis on skills here though. Amari has not been an effective shooter, passer or shot blocker IMO despite her skills. Her shot selection has negated her effectiveness as a shooter. She has not been efficient. She has passing skills but because she is careless with turnovers she is not good there either. As for the blocked shots, she gets plenty but is a foul machine so her stats there relative to the fouls is also not good.

Those are three skills that I agree she has, but after bad shots, turnovers, and fouls she has not been able to turn any of those skills into a usable advantage because of bad decision making and or basketball IQ. Sometimes that comes with experience but there is no significant trend-line from freshmen to sophomore that suggests we should project much difference.

I will go back and look up some numbers on Kia, but my recollection is she was a very good player early in her career despite not getting playing time due to great players ahead of her. If Amari played better she could have easily been at a minimum a regular 4th big in the rotation, but Geno seemed to prefer going small than using Amari as the 4th big. Anyway hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score
A good analysis. But you may have neglected one natural gift Amari has: really long arms. Is it enough to counterbalance the weaknesses you mention until she learns to take up more space in the paint? That’s a good question. Those long arms may distract her from the need to develop those other habits.
Doubtful. At the rate she's learning, it probably won't be at UConn. Most of her physical problems aren't all her fault and stem from not getting much fundamental, post coaching prior to and during her HS years. Many of the best college posts got a lot of that. For instance, Stokes' dad Greg Stokes is a 6-10 former F/C at Iowa and was a 2nd round pick of the 76ers and obviously spent a lot of time with her. Brady is another who was very fortunate to get that coaching early. Although El Alfy's dad coaches the Egyptian women's national team, from what I've seen in video, I'm not sure how much post-specific work she's had so that's a wait and see.

Reaction Score
I would agree that Amari has better shooting and passing skills, and also good shot blocking skills. Emphasis on skills here though. Amari has not been an effective shooter, passer or shot blocker IMO despite her skills. Her shot selection has negated her effectiveness as a shooter. She has not been efficient. She has passing skills but because she is careless with turnovers she is not good there either. As for the blocked shots, she gets plenty but is a foul machine so her stats there relative to the fouls is also not good.

Those are three skills that I agree she has, but after bad shots, turnovers, and fouls she has not been able to turn any of those skills into a usable advantage because of bad decision making and or basketball IQ. Sometimes that comes with experience but there is no significant trend-line from freshmen to sophomore that suggests we should project much difference.

I will go back and look up some numbers on Kia, but my recollection is she was a very good player early in her career despite not getting playing time due to great players ahead of her. If Amari played better she could have easily been at a minimum a regular 4th big in the rotation, but Geno seemed to prefer going small than using Amari as the 4th big. Anyway hope I am wrong.
All good points. Right on the money.

sun

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see which skills that Jana has that Amari doesn't & vice versa.
Maybe they can actually complement each other if & when the time comes that they're both needed.
If Jana is very advanced then UConn may not even need Amari to play much.
But if Jana isn't then perhaps Amari could be used in some match ups.
If Amari needs 4 years to develop offensive moves then that could mean that she won't be playing a significant role this year, that's all.
The season is long & anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Brady's size puts her at the head of the class for UConn center candidates. She has pf skills out to the perimeter but she also has a wide body that is needed in the paint.
Brady may be a 1st year player on paper but I think she is far beyond that designation. A year ago (prior to her arriving on campus) Geno stated that she was going to see minutes at the high post. Then she spent 5 months training and playing (June-Oct) and Geno was very happy with her progress. She was behind the other posts perhaps but it was clear that she was going to play. Those 5 months are a dark zone to fans who judge on what they see, gametime. But the learning didn't get flushed down the drain when she got hurt.
There are no sure things with freshmen (unless they are named Bueckers) however she had already convinced the coaches to play her in games which indicated she was "getting it". That is the toughest hurdle for any freshman. It's perfectly reasonable to expect her to be better next November than she was last Nov. And that would be pretty good.

I also think Bettencourt is being dismissed. I see good size, decent defense of a freshman, good end to end speed, and poise/maturity. All after missing the entire summer last season. She may never have Arnold's ball skills and foot speed but could be better in other things, like shooting. Samuels and Shade are purported to be good 3pt shooters and Geno may have more need of that than a third pg. Who plays may be more a function of team needs than overall talent level.

My long shot prediction is that Deberry finally puts in the effort Geno has been waiting to see. I suspect that Geno has felt she was cheating her talent and that is why she sat. It's a suspicion but if true, and she has a catharsis, she could put UConn over the top on their front line. Time for Bueckers to get in her head.
I'd bet that Ines is faster in a straight sprint than KK.

Reaction Score
Having seen both play high school ball in person, I can't help but compare Ashlynn's game to former Wildcats AA Kendra Wecker. Similar build, height (both undersized) and both blue collar tough and strong. Shade's got the better outside shot though. I think she will surprise and become a fan favorite fast.
Undersized is a very poor description, especially when the rest of the player's attributes are so promising. There is such a thing as lousy 6'2" players, why saddle this vexatious "size" dilemma on a player anyway? It's absurd. Is it possible to be oversized? Tell us, please, what the "right" size for a player really is. Betcha can't do it.......

Reaction Score
All of the comments on Amari have forgotten one thing she posses that no else on the team does. Its her ability to pass from the low post while sitting on her butt. That backdoor pass from that position on the floor was something not even Meadowlark Lemon could match!!

Reaction Score
Brady's size puts her at the head of the class for UConn center candidates. She has pf skills out to the perimeter but she also has a wide body that is needed in the paint.
Brady may be a 1st year player on paper but I think she is far beyond that designation. A year ago (prior to her arriving on campus) Geno stated that she was going to see minutes at the high post. Then she spent 5 months training and playing (June-Oct) and Geno was very happy with her progress. She was behind the other posts perhaps but it was clear that she was going to play. Those 5 months are a dark zone to fans who judge on what they see, gametime. But the learning didn't get flushed down the drain when she got hurt.
There are no sure things with freshmen (unless they are named Bueckers) however she had already convinced the coaches to play her in games which indicated she was "getting it". That is the toughest hurdle for any freshman. It's perfectly reasonable to expect her to be better next November than she was last Nov. And that would be pretty good.

I also think Bettencourt is being dismissed. I see good size, decent defense of a freshman, good end to end speed, and poise/maturity. All after missing the entire summer last season. She may never have Arnold's ball skills and foot speed but could be better in other things, like shooting. Samuels and Shade are purported to be good 3pt shooters and Geno may have more need of that than a third pg. Who plays may be more a function of team needs than overall talent level.

My long shot prediction is that Deberry finally puts in the effort Geno has been waiting to see. I suspect that Geno has felt she was cheating her talent and that is why she sat. It's a suspicion but if true, and she has a catharsis, she could put UConn over the top on their front line. Time for Bueckers to get in her head.
IMO, INES and KK both have good foot speed, KK is " shiftier ".

Reaction Score
I'd bet that Ines is faster in a straight sprint than KK.
To rewatch the HIGHLIGHT videos for INES is to "see" her straight line sprint,
Note the one where INES leads the transition fast break vs Maryland and Maryland's
Brenda Freese calling an IMMEDIATE time out. I think you can get the link
at INES BETTENCOURT UCONN HIGHLIGHTS. I enjoy the bench responses
to INES' three Pointers as well as Chris D. Scratching her head after one suggestful
shot.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, reminds me of this tall lamp I have with a wide shade but a narrow base, so people keep knocking it over, but it is bright (there is that).

Reaction Score
All of the comments on Amari have forgotten one thing she posses that no else on the team does. Its her ability to pass from the low post while sitting on her butt. That backdoor pass from that position on the floor was something not even Meadowlark Lemon could match!!

The late great Meadowlark Lemon would have been proud of that pass by Amari. It was like Amari and Ines worked on that in practice or something.

Reaction Score
I was watching some games from the Kia-Gabby-Crystal era and was reminded of the "Swiss Army knife" type of player we've often had. Gabby and Kelly were the prototype for the ~6 foot highly athletic wing/sf, and Lou kind of fit into that role last season. Kia was another one, and Evina, and of course Aubrey. The common thread they all have is defensive intensity, a willingness to do whatever is needed at any given moment, and they are usually sprinters.

Who do we have in this mold for the fall? Aubrey of course. She has the athleticism of this type of player -- not quite as quick as Gabby, but every bit as relentless and maybe even a little stronger. Caroline is perhaps an outlier -- maybe too tall to fill this role completely, and not quite the sprinter the others have been. But she makes up for it in court savvy. Ashlynn has the personality for it, even if she's not perhaps as tall as one would expect for this role. But she's a relentless ball-hawk. When faster players get to the ball, they tend to find she is already there. Will Qadence grow into this role? She's more like Caroline in terms of foot speed and size. But if she learns positioning wisdom from Caroline, she will likely find herself in the middle of the action often enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom