UConn - Gonzaga H&H starting 2023 (Seattle & MSG) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn - Gonzaga H&H starting 2023 (Seattle & MSG)

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Didn’t we play Zaga in Boston (07-08) and Seattle (08-09)? I assume that was a similar deal as this one but could be mistaken.
Yes

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
love to see things like this.

i'm sick and tired of mid majors getting screwed on OOC scheduling! if the real schools don't want to play you, play each other!!!

Reaction Score
It’s absurd that we are playing this at MSG. Do what I did and email the athletic department and complain. This does nothing for a home court advantage and it’s disrespectful to season ticket holders, students, and those of us that attend games regularly. How many times a year do they expect us to go to MSG like it’s a normal trip to XL or Gampel? This fan base is ready for big time non-conference action in OUR arena.

EMAIL and COMPLAIN!!!
Not going to do it. I went to UConn and was a season ticket holder when I lived there, but like a lot of other alumni live in NYC area. Msg is a 30 min train on NJ transit. Great decision in my opinion.

Reaction Score
As we all still celebrate the National Championship, while I am looking at my upcoming payment of my season ticket/seat donation bill soon, there’s a certain tune deafness by UConn.
True, they can get away without having a major OOC game in Gampel or XL this year and still sell out, but is it ever a good long term business to be disloyal to your most loyal customers? I think not.
It will be in the back of my mind (and maybe the front of my mind to make a point) the next time someone will be calling from UConn asking for money.

Reaction Score
love to see things like this.

i'm sick and tired of mid majors getting screwed on OOC scheduling! if the real schools don't want to play you, play each other!!!
Is there anything about Cincinnati you like? Username, avatar? 5>2.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As we all still celebrate the National Championship, while I am looking at my upcoming payment of my season ticket/seat donation bill soon, there’s a certain tune deafness by UConn.
True, they can get away without having a major OOC game in Gampel or XL this year and still sell out, but is it ever a good long term business to be disloyal to your most loyal customers? I think not.
It will be in the back of my mind (and maybe the front of my mind to make a point) the next time someone will be calling from UConn asking for money.
I agree with you but considering how adamant many on this board are about the superiority of playing Big East opponents to, for example playing Bid Twelve opponents, I believe that there are quite a few on this board who are in no position to complain about the quality of a home schedule that features Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier, Butler, St John's et al in addition to the one day each winter that Villanova comes to town.

I realize that if we were to move to the B-12 there would be no assurances that we would then add quality non-conference home opponents to the games at Gampel and XL, one argument was that we didn't schedule PC when we were in the AAC (whin I personally believe adds validation to the argument that PC really is not that important to UConn), but, with the additional revenues (could reach up to four or five times BE revenue), the athletic department may find it easier to sacrifice an annual home game and schedule a home and home with a pretty decent name instead of two home games against reasonably local nobodies.

Reaction Score
I agree with you but considering how adamant many on this board are about the superiority of playing Big East opponents to, for example playing Bid Twelve opponents, I believe that there are quite a few on this board who are in no position to complain about the quality of a home schedule that features Providence, Seton Hall, Xavier, Butler, St John's et al in addition to the one day each winter that Villanova comes to town.

I realize that if we were to move to the B-12 there would be no assurances that we would then add quality non-conference home opponents to the games at Gampel and XL, one argument was that we didn't schedule PC when we were in the AAC (whin I personally believe adds validation to the argument that PC really is not that important to UConn), but, with the additional revenues (could reach up to four or five times BE revenue), the athletic department may find it easier to sacrifice an annual home game and schedule a home and home with a pretty decent name instead of two home games against reasonably local nobodies.
UConn needs to decide if it is a national
or regional program. Based on our actions, I could make both arguments. But, I am also focusing on the season ticket holder. Tickets/seat donations have escalated in price and not to bring some national powers to CT is ridiculous. And to be frank, the conference games we lost last season had much more to do with the officiating than our opponents.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
or regional program.
Based on our actions, I could make both arguments. But, I am also focusing on the season ticket holder. Tickets/seat donations have escalated in price and not to bring some national powers to CT is ridiculous. And to be frank, the conference games we lost last season had much more to do with the officiating than our opponents.
1200x0.jpg

Is this really a question?

We're both.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
or regional program. Based on our actions, I could make both arguments. But, I am also focusing on the season ticket holder.
I could well be wrong but I personally believe that decision was made more than three decades ago and further, I believe all of our true fans, regardless of which conference they would prefer us in, view us as not only a national program, but a national power.

Tickets/seat donations have escalated in price and not to bring some national powers to CT is ridiculous.
Yes they have, and yes it is. The only excuse that the administration can use is the need to bring in additional revenues due to the conference situation (whether there could be more revenues from more games with name opponents is a different argument). Personally I would like to see this excuse become obsolete. For reasons beyond anything I can think of there are many on this board who prefer the status quo.

And to be frank, the conference games we lost last season had much more to do with the officiating than our opponents.
I don't disagree with you here, but I do question the appearance of this comment within the context of my post that you responded to. In all candor, I personally believe that (on many levels, not merely officiating in men's hoops games) the conference's MO will be to treat us the way Wilt and Oscar were treated during the bulk of the 1960's, when the league operating under the view that they were so far beyond anyone else with their natural abilities, that they had to let the opponents get away with a lot just to make it somewhat fair.

Reaction Score
I could well be wrong but I personally believe that decision was made more than three decades ago and further, I believe all of our true fans, regardless of which conference they would prefer us in, view us as not only a national program, but a national power.

Yes they have, and yes it is. The only excuse that the administration can use is the need to bring in additional revenues due to the conference situation (whether there could be more revenues from more games with name opponents is a different argument). Personally I would like to see this excuse become obsolete. For reasons beyond anything I can think of there are many on this board who prefer the status quo.

I don't disagree with you here, but I do question the appearance of this comment within the context of my post that you responded to. In all candor, I personally believe that (on many levels, not merely officiating in men's hoops games) the conference's MO will be to treat us the way Wilt and Oscar were treated during the bulk of the 1960's, when the league operating under the view that they were so far beyond anyone else with their natural abilities, that they had to let the opponents get away with a lot just to make it somewhat fair.
I think we agree on most things here. My comment about sending mixed messages about regional vs national power, is the idea some have here, that we should be happy with having the Big East handicapped officiated games with PC and Seton Hall rather than H/H with KU, UNC, AZ or Michigan. My view is we are a national power, as you said for decades (3)!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Given our (seeming) connection to Gonzaga in the Big12 talks, and timing, I'm inclined to think this is about both schools establishing their relevance in the Seattle/NYC markets, and to give BY something to tout. Smart play by both schools.

Reaction Score
I think we agree on most things here. My comment about sending mixed messages about regional vs national power, is the idea some have here, that we should be happy with having the Big East handicapped officiated games with PC and Seton Hall rather than H/H with KU, UNC, AZ or Michigan. My view is we are a national power, as you said for decades (3)!
we have to decide what we are and what we want to remain. Are we a two-trick pony or are we more than that? Bear in mind that if we're a two-trick pony and one (or both) of those tricks is forgotten (coach leaves, program problems, spell of bad luck) then we are going to be a doormat in the grand scheme of college athletics.

Reaction Score
View attachment 88562

Is this really a question?

We're both.
Then let’s play a National home game, preferrably 2 national home games (XL, Gampel) a season. That should a high priority scheduling goal each season, and if it is not achieved, a correction plan should be undertaken to not repeat the scheduling failure the following season.

Reaction Score
Might as well schedule Washington. Battle of the huskies. Winner hangs on to a dog sled for a year.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly I think it is a win for Gonzaga. I think of them like Baylor. Rather play home and home against UCLA, USC, Arizona. Gonzaga brings very little to the table.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom