UConn - Gonzaga H&H starting 2023 (Seattle & MSG) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn - Gonzaga H&H starting 2023 (Seattle & MSG)

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Amazing that UConn is playing at Climate Pledge, it’s 5 miles from my house. What’s gonna hurt is when they schedule it during Thanksgiving or Christmas time and I’m in Long Island watching it on my couch with the in-laws!

Reaction Score
That's just such a slap in the face to season ticket holders...Coming off a national championship and we can't even get 1 freaking high profile OOC game? Garbage. There is zero excuse for that
The upside is the Big East schedule has never been better:
  1. A reloaded Villanova
  2. Rick Pitino and SJU
  3. Marquette will be top 5 or 10 team this season
  4. Georgetown will be respectable for the first time in 5 years
  5. A new era at PC
  6. Assuming Kalkbrenner comes back there's bad blood v. Creighton
  7. Sean Miller should have Xavier reloaded and in the frey
Only Butler, DePaul, and Seton Hall really lack any intrigue.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The Gonzaga home half of this was nearly going to be held in Chicago. NIL jockeying behind the scenes.

Reaction Score
This young team is getting thrown right into the fire.
Could definitely pay dividends down the road.

There will people complaining when we have a bumpy start against a very tough OCC

Reaction Score
Whoever negotiated this needs to be replaced. The home game should be at XL. It’s great we are playing Gonzaga but not at home? What kind of weak sauce is that? We have the leverage, not Gonzaga. We have championships and the Big East. They have coulda shoulda and the WCC. Scheduler got outplayed again.
So I checked. Spokane to Seattle is 279 miles. Storrs to NYC is 150 miles. Advantage UConn. Unless you meant who negotiated it for Gonzaga,

Reaction Score
That's just such a slap in the face to season ticket holders...Coming off a national championship and we can't even get 1 freaking high profile OOC game? Garbage. There is zero excuse for that
Why don't we wait for the scheduled to be finalized before making such criticisms. Also, I get that season tickets are expensive but that's the risk you take by buying them before a schedule is finalized.

Reaction Score
The Gonzaga home half of this was nearly going to be held in Chicago. NIL jockeying behind the scenes.
Have any details on that? What would be the nil incentive of playing in Chicago? An event?

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Have any details on that? What would be the nil incentive of playing in Chicago? An event?
i believe it's a joke stemming from discourse about Gonzaga setting up a satellite campus in Chicago if they were to join the Big East.

pj

Reaction Score
It should be a home/home or home/neutral. We are the bigger brand.

Wouldn't surprise me if UConn wanted Seattle because (a) travel to Spokane is hard, (b) Stewart is from Seattle and they wanted to reward him, and (c) the Spokane arena only seats 6000. Then if UConn asks Gonzaga to put its home game in Seattle, Gonzaga is going to ask UConn to put its home game in NYC.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It should be a home/home or home/neutral. We are the bigger brand.
There is nothing wrong with this arrangement. That we likely won't attempt to schedule similar opponents in Gampel & XL is a different argument. A valid argument obviously but a different one.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't surprise me if UConn wanted Seattle because (a) travel to Spokane is hard, (b) Stewart is from Seattle and they wanted to reward him, and (c) the Spokane arena only seats 6000. Then if UConn asks Gonzaga to put its home game in Seattle, Gonzaga is going to ask UConn to put its home game in NYC.
Spokane Arena seats 11,736 for basketball. I figured that 6,000 number had to be wrong because it's hosting the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament next year and no way would the NCAA ever have it in a 6,000 seat arena. Take (c) off your list.

Reactions: pj

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I should’ve not bought my Gampel season tickets, bought the MSG games separate, and then the marquee conference games. Would’ve came out even.

The rest of OOC will be hilariously atrocious. And to think they raised season ticket prices for Oklahoma St and Providence at Gampel.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I should’ve not bought my Gampel season tickets, bought the MSG games separate, and then the marquee conference games. Would’ve came out even.

The rest of OOC will be hilariously atrocious. And to think they raised season ticket prices for Oklahoma St and Providence at Gampel.
I only buy 4-5 XL games a year (the bigger Big East ones, one cupcake, and a big OOC opponent). No need to go to all the cupcake games. Just watch them on TV. They are going to be blowouts anyway.

pj

Reaction Score
Spokane Arena seats 11,736 for basketball. I figured that 6,000 number had to be wrong because it's hosting the first and second rounds of the NCAA Tournament next year and no way would the NCAA ever have it in a 6,000 seat arena. Take (c) off your list.

Thanks. I assumed they played here: McCarthey Athletic Center - Wikipedia. (Wikipedia says they do play in the 6000 seat arena).

Reaction Score
Is next year's schedule too difficult?

If Newton and Jackson leave, we may be setting ourselves up for one of those post championship hangover seasons. As the defending champions we will have a huge target on our back, every team and away crowd will be jacked to play us.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Is next year's schedule too difficult?

If Newton and Jackson leave, we may be setting ourselves up for one of those post championship hangover seasons. As the defending champions we will have a huge target on our back, every team and away crowd will be jacked to play us.
Absolutely not. The more difficult the better. It gives us more leeway with seeding.

zls44

Reaction Score
i believe it's a joke stemming from discourse about Gonzaga setting up a satellite campus in Chicago if they were to join the Big East.
No. I’m serious.

Different MTE groups offering different NIL incentives. It was really almost a Chicago-based thing.

zls44

Reaction Score
Thanks. I assumed they played here: McCarthey Athletic Center - Wikipedia. (Wikipedia says they do play in the 6000 seat arena).

The Mac is Gonzaga’s home building. Where Kentucky refused to play, hence their series starting at the Spokane Arena downtown (we played BYU and Stanford there in the 2003 NCAAs)

Kentucky agreed to go to the Mac in their new H&H…in like 2029. They did a 4 game series, one neutral for each as a home game and one actual home game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom