UConn going broke a cautionary tale for UCF, USF and other Group of 5 schools (Mike Bianchi Orlando Sentinel Commentary) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn going broke a cautionary tale for UCF, USF and other Group of 5 schools (Mike Bianchi Orlando Sentinel Commentary)

Reaction Score
lol suck it aac

The number the American Athletic Conference got, it’s a little misleading because the AAC is going to have to produce a lot of events, and that’s going to cost millions of dollars,” said Lulla, the former head of ABC Sports’ legal and business department and a lead counsel at IMG. “But
and the fact that as Benedict pointed out, it's not even $7mm! why does that keep getting quoted? It's $7mm in 2032 lol

Reaction Score
lol suck it aac

The number the American Athletic Conference got, it’s a little misleading because the AAC is going to have to produce a lot of events, and that’s going to cost millions of dollars,” said Lulla, the former head of ABC Sports’ legal and business department and a lead counsel at IMG. “But
How much is it going to cost these schools to even put the infrastructure in place to broadcast to +?

Reaction Score
How much is it going to cost these schools to even put the infrastructure in place to broadcast to +?

Ballparking... Media Musings: Schools Prepare For ACC Network Launch

>>At N.C. State, space for its ACCN facilities was retrofitted within the Murphy Center next to Carter-Finley Stadium, at a price tag of $6 million.

Many other schools used existing spaces. Virginia Tech found space behind the south end zone at Lane Stadium and Pittsburgh retrofitted Petersen Events Center lobby space, spending $12 million on Pitt Studios. Virginia spent $7 million to modify existing facilities at John Paul Jones Arena.<<

Their ROI will be faster and higher than the AAC based on media deal $

Let’s not forget that new UConn Pres Katsouleas was Provost @ UVA the last 4 years and probably had exposure to decent cost projections. U.Va. encouraged after ACC Network rehearsal

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not football related: For those who follow women’s basketball much more than those of us just hoping they win and enhance our alma mater’s revenues, how’s the NNBE move potentially impact overall strength of schedule, recruiting, national perception, and revenue?@HuskyNan

Revenue should hopefully be better in the NBE if we are able to keep the SNY deal. Everything else will remain about the same. The NBE has a better Massey rating than the AAC, but it's only because the bottom of the NBE is better than the bottom of the AAC. That means we beat teams in the bottom half of the NBE by 40 instead of 60. Both leagues have two fairly decent teams. AAC has USF and UCF. USF had a lot of injuries last year. Normally they have been able to occasionally give us a semi-competitive game. UCF did the same last season.

DePaul and Marquette are the two best teams in the NBE. We generally play DePaul every season and usually win by 40+ points. That seems to indicate we will mow down all NBE competition just like we mow down all AAC schools. If USF hadn't had so many injuries this past season, the overall Massey ratings would have been closer.

No recruits will view the NBE as any better than the AAC. It's not a P5 league so it's no better or worse from a competition standpoint. As long as Geno remains the coach that will likely have little effect, since we play a very tough OOC schedule anyway. After Geno leaves it could make more of a difference.

SOS may get a slight bump up, but Marquette is losing most if not all its starting lineup to graduation, so they will likely drop while USF and UCF improve. Next season our SOS improvement will likely be negligible compared to what it would have been in the AAC.

Recruiting and national perception won't change by replacing one weak league with another weak league.

Reaction Score
Happy Fourth guys. My reaction to this column...SMH.

They shouldn’t let most sportswriters get anywhere near economics. That goes for Jacobs as well.

Easily debunked. And the idea that the AAC is in for a good sail _ ludicrously shallow.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not football related: For those who follow women’s basketball much more than those of us just hoping they win and enhance our alma mater’s revenues, how’s the NNBE move potentially impact overall strength of schedule, recruiting, national perception, and revenue?@HuskyNan
Not at all in my opinion. The AAC wasn't a WBB powerhouse conference. UConn is undefeated in it.
The NBE is marginally but materially better. UCF is only decent team. UConn and UCF have agreed to continue play after UConn leaves.

Auriemma gets his SOS from playing top opponents before the start of conference play. The move to the NBE won't change that.

Reaction Score
Not at all in my opinion. The AAC wasn't a WBB powerhouse conference. UConn is undefeated in it.
The NBE is marginally but materially better. UCF is only decent team. UConn and UCF have agreed to continue play after UConn leaves.

Auriemma gets his SOS from playing top opponents before the start of conference play. The move to the NBE won't change that.
I believe UConn and USF not UCF have agree to continue playing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Much better for wbb to be in the NBE. At the end of the current season the NBE was the #6 ranked conference in the Massey ratings without UConn (ranked #3) and the AAC was the #8 ranked conference WITH UConn. The women had a 2 seed in this year’s NCAA tourney and the Selecton Committee came right out and said it was because UConn plays in a weak conference. The NBE is great for women’s hoops

Reaction Score
They shouldn’t let most sportswriters get anywhere near economics. That goes for Jacobs as well.

Easily debunked. And the idea that the AAC is in for a good sail _ ludicrously shallow.
I can talk economics with anyone. I don’t judge other people, but I have enough knowledge and experience to talk with anyone about a balance sheet on any company.

Reaction Score
The Big East has its share of bad teams, but unlike the AAC, we won't have to travel halfway across the country to play those bad teams. That is a huge plus considering how much the WBB team already travels in the non-conference.

Reaction Score
Revenue should hopefully be better in the NBE if we are able to keep the SNY deal. Everything else will remain about the same. The NBE has a better Massey rating than the AAC, but it's only because the bottom of the NBE is better than the bottom of the AAC. That means we beat teams in the bottom half of the NBE by 40 instead of 60. Both leagues have two fairly decent teams. AAC has USF and UCF. USF had a lot of injuries last year. Normally they have been able to occasionally give us a semi-competitive game. UCF did the same last season.

DePaul and Marquette are the two best teams in the NBE. We generally play DePaul every season and usually win by 40+ points. That seems to indicate we will mow down all NBE competition just like we mow down all AAC schools. If USF hadn't had so many injuries this past season, the overall Massey ratings would have been closer.

No recruits will view the NBE as any better than the AAC. It's not a P5 league so it's no better or worse from a competition standpoint. As long as Geno remains the coach that will likely have little effect, since we play a very tough OOC schedule anyway. After Geno leaves it could make more of a difference.

SOS may get a slight bump up, but Marquette is losing most if not all its starting lineup to graduation, so they will likely drop while USF and UCF improve. Next season our SOS improvement will likely be negligible compared to what it would have been in the AAC.

Recruiting and national perception won't change by replacing one weak league with another weak league.
One nit pick Nick. When the UConn women were in the old Big East the Catholic schools were much better programs than they are now. Villanova, St John's, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and Georgetown made the Top 25 for several years IIRC. I remember Villanova beating UConn in the Big East championship game, but UConn recovered and won the NCAA. Hopefully UConn coming back will raise all boats. The coaching was good back then, Doug Bruno, Kim Barnes Arico, Harry Parretta, Geno. Pat Knapp at Georgetown had some great teams with Rebecca Brunson. Sugar Rogers was also a great player for Georgetown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can talk economics with anyone. I don’t judge other people, but I have enough knowledge and experience to talk with anyone about a balance sheet on any company.

Qualifying phrase ... “most”

Reaction Score

The AAC is going to implode. Maybe not tomorrow but give it 2 or 3 years. Mick Cronin saw the writing on the wall, got out when he could.

Reaction Score

I don't think he's leaving anytime soon, I think he's here for another ten years, maybe more if his health stays good.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One nit pick Nick. When the UConn women were in the old Big East the Catholic schools were much better programs than they are now. Villanova, St John's, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, and Georgetown made the Top 25 for several years IIRC. I remember Villanova beating UConn in the Big East championship game, but UConn recovered and won the NCAA. Hopefully UConn coming back will raise all boats. The coaching was good back then, Doug Bruno, Kim Barnes Arico, Harry Parretta, Geno. Pat Knapp at Georgetown had some great teams with Rebecca Brunson. Sugar Rogers was also a great player for Georgetown.
Providence was a power in the 80’s but a conference doormat from 1990 on. Georgetown wasn’t awful but I don’t remember it ever being ranked, even with Rebekah Brunson, the best player there. Seton Hall was horrible under Phyllis Whosis (don’t remember). It’s been a decent team only recently.

The best BE teams were UConn, Rutgers, ND, Louisville, DePaul, and St. John’s.

Reaction Score
Providence was a power in the 80’s but a conference doormat from 1990 on. Georgetown wasn’t awful but I don’t remember it ever being ranked, even with Rebekah Brunson, the best player there. Seton Hall was horrible under Phyllis Whosis (don’t remember). It’s been a decent team only recently.

The best BE teams were UConn, Rutgers, ND, Louisville, DePaul, and St. John’s.
Yeah I don't remember exactly either so I threw them all in, but do remember Phyllis Mangina having a couple of great years in the mid 90's. 29-4? 27-6? I can't remember Lol. I think you're right about Brunson though as good as she was, Georgetown probably didn't make the top 20 or top 25. I also remember Nova almost always being a difficult out for Geno and his club in the old Big East. I don't have the time to research it though. Lol. My basic point was that of the Catholic basketball only schools, St John's, DePaul, Nova, and Seton Hall were stronger clubs when UConn was in the old Big East. Now with Uconn returning let's hope they can lift all boats.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Qualifying phrase ... “most”
[/

Thanks. I think part of the problem is journalists in general have a poor view of cash flow, debt, revenue and profit/loss. And, business people really have no idea how to run editorial. Once the business office gets into editorial, they destroy the product.

My biggest issue with newspapers and media business is the journalists want to run the business, and the business people want to run the news department .

People gotta stay in their lane.

Rant over: As far as sports evaluating thinks like UConn football, the greatest error is looking at it as a P&L statement.

First off, Athletics is not a going concern as a business. It is a non-profit enterprise in accounting. So, the reason for the organization is not to generate FcF. You can’t loom at it as a business.

If it’s mission was to “make money” then there are hard decisions that should be made. But, as a recent columnist said when he said UConn was on welfare, every single collegiate endeavor in this state runs a deficit except in certain years women’s basketball at UConn.

So, what’s the point of that sophomoric column? If UConn needed to make a profit on athletics, it could. But the organization would Be radically different than it is today.

If the athletic department was a business, the first thing they would negotiate is where they play and the terms of the stadium lease. The Rent and XL terms, in my opinion, are bade for UConn and no business would ever enter into those agreements if it had a profit motive.

Reaction Score
You start with the $40m deficit

You quickly find about 5 quirky things UConn does that - I’d submit - few State University AD do. So it’s Apples & Oranges. Now: was there a purposeful reason to release that number? Of course ... I see some devious intent in the path we took.

This move back to the NBE - in my view - is about the Fanbase. Which begat donors & local exposure then BRAND. Bianchi couldn’t come close to our specific numbers by CF stream if he wanted; Aresco, seemingly, did not want to Value the non Football component. There’s a huge distance between the lowest P5 (ACC I think) and this AAC (NET number). I have a tough time rationalizing that disparity. Seems silly to conceive a Wake game is in one valued pool ... and the similarly colored UCF is worth 1/5th.

Reaction Score

You quickly find about 5 quirky things UConn does that - I’d submit - few State University AD do. So it’s Apples & Oranges. Now: was there a purposeful reason to release that number? Of course ... I see some devious intent in the path we took.

This move back to the NBE - in my view - is about the Fanbase. Which begat donors & local exposure then BRAND. Bianchi couldn’t come close to our specific numbers by CF stream if he wanted; Aresco, seemingly, did not want to Value the non Football component. There’s a huge distance between the lowest P5 (ACC I think) and this AAC (NET number). I have a tough time rationalizing that disparity. Seems silly to conceive a Wake game is in one valued pool ... and the similarly colored UCF is worth 1/5th.
Exactly.

Eventually I see the big money teams, such as Texas, asking themselves why do I have to fund Iowa State? Or, Florida State asking, why is wake forest getting This cash?

Or every single sec team asking why Vanderbilt is getting cut a check.

UConn was doing this in the aac in a smaller scale. The $7 million was ridiculous money to Tulane and Tulsa.

So, UConn leaves and thinks it is more valuable than what the aac is giving them per year as a group. This was aresco’s biggest issue. In theory, pooling resources should have meant UConn gets more money than what was possible Indy. I don’t think that is the case. They might be worth more as an Indy.

Edit: if the AAC was a business, the sum of the parts is worth more than the league together. That’s how I feel about the aac. If this was a business, they would be broken up and sold.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

Eventually I see the big money teams, such as Texas, asking themselves why do I have to fund Iowa State? Or, Florida State asking, why is wake forest getting This cash?

Or every single sec team asking why Vanderbilt is getting cut a check.

UConn was doing this in the aac in a smaller scale. The $7 million was ridiculous money to Tulane and Tulsa.

So, UConn leaves and thinks it is more valuable than what the aac is giving them per year as a group. This was aresco’s biggest issue. In theory, pooling resources should have meant UConn gets more money than what was possible Indy. I don’t think that is the case. They might be worth more as an Indy.

Edit: if the AAC was a business, the sum of the parts is worth more than the league together. That’s how I feel about the aac. If this was a business, they would be broken up and sold.

Which brings up the much postured point (to my Mind sprung by Brett McMurphy) ... YOU must be in a Conference

Like the MAC or CUSA would make UCONN future brighter. Again - we are not Liberty; we are not NM State/Idaho. We are quite a few steps above UMASS. When you look at the BYU schedule ... they do a lot of exciting games. All in September to early October. The Army schedule? Clearly angled to make bowls now. Somewhere, a good strategic AD can make an attractive schedule.

It ain’t over. We started this climb in 1998. I see an interesting group of changes - and that AAC was a good case study.

Reaction Score

For example?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom