UConn going broke a cautionary tale for UCF, USF and other Group of 5 schools (Mike Bianchi Orlando Sentinel Commentary) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn going broke a cautionary tale for UCF, USF and other Group of 5 schools (Mike Bianchi Orlando Sentinel Commentary)

Reaction Score
UConn has lost control of its football venue and half of their home BB games to quasi state agencies with politically connected leadership and staffed with expensive and inflexible union labor contracts.
All are ingredients for financial disaster.

Financial disaster for the school - but it just a transfer of money to the state from the school. And the state funds the school - mostly. So I don't even count that nonsense when I look at the deficit. It isn't real.

Reaction Score
Financial disaster for the school - but it just a transfer of money to the state from the school. And the state funds the school - mostly. So I don't even count that nonsense when I look at the deficit. It isn't real.

Chief’s right IMO — the AD department has to justify expenses and salaries and ward of calls to cut because of the deficit. If you are going to ask the program to make money, then don’t handicap them by not allowing the football team to generate any of that parking revenue at its football games. They are not getting enough revenue out of Games at rentschler or XL IMO.

Warde Manuel used to say —“ I am just a tennant” when issues about Rentschker arose. UConn is very limited in what it can do, sell, allow at the XL and the rent.

I think UConn should take over management of those buildings, especially the rent.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well. Worked in investor relations and used to write c-suite facing reports that executives used for strategic purposes. Wrote stock market reports that were read out on CNBC by our owner. Talked with fund managers daily about their view on the balance sheet, capital allocation and the use of FcF daily.

And I read.

Edit: to your point, expertise would be in diversified industrials, REITs, and financial services.

Lol.
Careful or you’ll walk in to a chief ambush! Lolol

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
UConn has lost control of its football venue and half of their home BB games to quasi state agencies with politically connected leadership and staffed with expensive and inflexible union labor contracts.
All are ingredients for financial disaster.
this is an interesting, thought provoking, and, sadly, troubling observation. I never thought about it like this. rats.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Chief’s right IMO — the AD department has to justify expenses and salaries and ward of calls to cut because of the deficit. If you are going to ask the program to make money, then don’t handicap them by not allowing the football team to generate any of that parking revenue at its football games. They are not getting enough revenue out of Games at rentschler or XL IMO.

Warde Manuel used to say —“ I am just a tennant” when issues about Rentschker arose. UConn is very limited in what it can do, sell, allow at the XL and the rent.

I think UConn should take over management of those buildings, especially the rent.

Yes let’s raise an army and take back the red lot.

Once we have the red lot the blue will fall.

Why didn’t anyone ever think of this.

C

Chief00

Well. Worked in investor relations and used to write c-suite facing reports that executives used for strategic purposes. Wrote stock market reports that were read out on CNBC by our owner. Talked with fund managers daily about their view on the balance sheet, capital allocation and the use of FcF daily.

And I read.

Edit: to your point, expertise would be in diversified industrials, REITs, and financial services.

Lol.
As I said, the population “is a small one”. Perhaps , you are part of that small group per your post?

Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's actually a very simple answer: college sports belong on campus.

It seem obvious to almost every other state and school in the country.

Quick question.

College basketball programs - last 20 years.

National Championships for those that play only on campus.

National Championships for those that play half their games in Hartford.

Based on the numbers - playing off campus doesn’t seem to be an issue

Reaction Score
Quick question.

College basketball programs - last 20 years.

National Championships for those that play only on campus.

National Championships for those that play half their games in Hartford.

Based on the numbers - playing off campus doesn’t seem to be an issue

Can you define playing off campus?

Playing at Rupp in downtown Lexington, steps from the UK campus is a lot different than playing Hartford.

Reaction Score
Can you define playing off campus?

Playing at Rupp in downtown Lexington, steps from the UK campus is a lot different than playing Hartford.

I don’t know your age, but I’m 45 and I remember when I much preferred Hartford to Gampel. Hartford rocks when the team is good and opponent familiar.

Reaction Score
Yes let’s raise an army and take back the red lot.

Once we have the red lot the blue will fall.

Why didn’t anyone ever think of this.

Not just parking. Concessions.

But think for a game, 7000 cars when sold out. Maybe more.
They contemplated it and had discussions w/ CRDA but it never came to fruition. Not sure if the numbers didn’t make sense in the end or they were backed off.

UConn Considers Submitting Bid To Take Over Management Of Rentschler Field

I’ll tell you what happened...They didn’t think UConn was qualified to run the arena.

Reaction Score
Concessions: Still staffed by local Little League parents, CYO, and other well-intended fails?

C

Chief00

Agree, the first step to financial success is generally clear lines of financial accountability. Without it we have a CT government black hole and we all know how well that works.

C

Chief00

Not just parking. Concessions.

But think for a game, 7000 cars when sold out. Maybe more.

I’ll tell you what happened...They didn’t think UConn was qualified to run the arena.

That sounds like CDRA holding on to their bureaucratic fiefdoms. They are the same super managers that produced the NCAA tournament game that was only attended for the second half. So it’s real reassuring to know we kept that quality team.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Someone is getting a kickback or at the very least making some decent money on all of this and it isn't UConn.

No reason UConn shouldn't be in charge of The Rent parking and more.

The XL center is a different animal, but could use a different group running it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom