UCONN - Georgetown Post-game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Georgetown Post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They need Caroline and Azzi to play. I am sure they can play a quarter. Geno needs to pull the trigger. It would definitely make uconn to push all in the win column. Especially the next two.
Go Huskies. Just my opinion

Reaction Score
Because we only have one primary ball handler Nika and she really isn't a true point guard. That is why every time a team traps they are successful. I was taught in high school never to pick up your dribble unless you are passing or shooting and we will dribble into a double team or throw lazy passes across the court when there is a defender in between our players.
Nika IS a true pass first point guard. What do you think she is a shooting guard? “everytime”? That’s a stretch to try and prove your point. I agree she may not have the best handles but that’s all. She fits the point guard role just fine.

Reaction Score
EricLA pretty much covered it all. We are in a grind it out mode, doing a few good things and a few bad things and hoping for a wee bit more good than bad. Unless Caroline and/Azzi get back in the lineup (and play well), this is the kind of game I expect we'll see for the rest of the season. I'm sure the mental and physical exhaustion plays a large part but there also seems to be a lack of confidence individually and as a team. Too often it looked like no one wanted to shoot the ball and opted instead to make a bad pass.

Our bench was again not a factor but Patterson did some nice work rebounding. She even put up a shot, which missed, but at least she tried.

I have no idea if cupping works or is a psychological thing, but in general it looks terrible and with a fair skinned person like Dorka looks all the worse. Whatever.
What in the world does the last sentence of your post mean? A " cuppa Dorka?" Can you please translate?

Reaction Score
Yes, give Inez a run. She is quick, plays hard on defense and does break much more for the hoop on offense. She also passes with more snap instead of the many lazy passes we make for turnovers.
All teams may be tired at this point, but not like UCONN. Our starting five have more minutes ( I would guess ) than any other
starting five .

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What in the world does the last sentence of your post mean? A " cuppa Dorka?" Can you please translate?
My massage therapist uses cupping and it does indeed work. In massage, the therapist will apply pressure to sore or spasming muscles. Sometimes muscles spasm so badly that the pressure isn’t effective. Cupping uses a suction cup type appliance to pull on the muscle rather than push. A combination of the therapies is effective.

The circles on Dorka’s shoulder show where the cups were applied. The bruising means that blood flow to the area was increased, the purpose of massage and cupping

Reaction Score
Maybe this is to be the norm for UCONN going forward - at least until they get some additional players. The mental and emotional exhaustion has taken its' toll and it's pretty clear for even us fans to see - not just in the scores against teams that are way closer than they should be, but in the way the team plays and "comports" itself. But as Geno told Marisa Marino after Q1, gotta play who we have, and he was frustrated at how easily Georgetown was getting to the basket while every UCONN offensive possession was a challenge. And the offense - meh.

The 2nd quarter - UCONN went on a nice run, but then more sloppy play let Georgetown make a run at the end of the half. Geno said that defensively we were decent, but offensively, they just can't get the shots they want. Well, dumping the ball into the post when they are triple teamed is not a good recipe for success. He also said they need to knock down some more 3's to open things up inside. None of the post players have any room to maneuver in the post, Dorka shot 3 bricks from beyond the arc, but 31 points in a half against one of the bottom teams in the big east who is 12-12 on the season - just painful to watch. I'm sure that the coaches and team is frustrated, but Geno looked deflated at the halftime interview.

Both Ayanna and Amari did some nice things in Q2, but it was also clear why they don't get more PT than they do. If not for Lou's 3rd foul, we'd have seen far less of the bench. 11 total TO's at the half - standard fare for UCONN this year. Meg said "They gotta find a way to limit the turnovers". Yeah, duh Meg. The question is how?

The coaches and players are well aware of the problem, but it continues. There were some terrific moments - Edwards especially, and the pair of 3's from Nika - and Aubrey's all around play (still wish she'd look for her offense more, but G-town packing it in would probably make it hard for her to get to the basket). There was also a really good stretch of defense from UCONN, especially for most of Q2.

Q3 was a different story. Sure a few sloppy things (5 more TO's for the quarter), AND as Meg pointed out NUMEROUS TIMES - UCONN kept getting deep 2 point shots with seemingly no awareness to step back a few inches and hit a 3. STILL... more solid offense by Nika, Aubrey and Dorka, and suddenly it was a a 14 point lead.

UCONN got the lead up to 16 in Q4 and I thought "ok. we will win this going away and feel good about the game". Not so fast. Georgetown played inspired full court defense, UCONN kind of feel apart all over the place, and suddenly it was a 5 point game with 1 minute to go. I can't believe I'm saying this against a now 12-13 Georgetown team, but UCONN had to strategize down the stretch, call TO's to advance the ball, and barely escape with a win. FT's were terrific and iced the game for us. And at times, the defense was really locked in. But 23 TO's really destroyed any offensive flow. Outscored in Q1 by 4 and Q4 by 6.

Total credit to Georgetown for believing they could win, and playing like it.

BTW not that it affected the outcome of the game, but the reffing not only continues to be wildly inconsistent, but also insane at times. What's the solution? No idea. But something is very wrong there.

Highlight of the game in last 20 seconds. Georgetown player thought she could be clever and in bounds the ball off Aubrey's back. Aubrey turned around and blocked her shot. WTG Aubrey and way to end of a highlight!! She's my POG for her defense as well as offense, but Dorka had a double double as well.

Post game Geno said "we shoot ourselves in the foot so much and we can't do that". He also talked about Aubrey - said she helps on offense AND defense in so many ways, but in the first half, she had no offense. "Why? We have no idea" LOL. Aubrey is too good to disappear for long stretches.
Turnovers are gonna catch up with them.....22 made FGs and 23 TOs.....Totally unacceptable..!!...That's 23 empty possessions, which become huge in a close game..Most are simply mental mistakes....What amazes me is that Geno never talks about that....Nika has to develop a little more finesse/control when she drives into the lane....She goes in there like a running back..and leaves herself no options.....Dorka is 6'5"...she needs to hold the ball high.....not at waste level where it gets slapped away. happening way too much.....Big east teams have really figured out the Huskies....Take Lou out of the offense and pack it in, forcing the outside shot...Lou is finally seeing what Div I ball is all about....Been following the Huskies for over 25 years from Big 12 country in Texas, and love 'em...(thank you SNY.!!)..But they need to get it together..The adversity, fatigue, etc narrative is getting old....Not one team they play feels a bit sorry for them....

Reaction Score
I just hope that Nika is OK today, she seemed to twist that ankle pretty hard :(

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would estimate that the crowd yesterday was 70% pro-UConn. They didn’t come to watch the Hoyas.

Reaction Score
They need Caroline and Azzi to play. I am sure they can play a quarter. Geno needs to pull the trigger. It would definitely make uconn to push all in the win column. Especially the next two.
Geno won’t do anything without a complete buy in by the player, the trainers, and progress in practice. Caroline is still using earplugs at games!

Reaction Score
Geno won’t do anything without a complete buy in by the player, the trainers, and progress in practice. Caroline is still using earplugs at games!
But that could just be her preference, not because she can’t watch without them. She was at the men’s game with no ear plugs.

Reaction Score
My guess - it is mostly mental. Just a guess. Both were reinjured with the same injury right after rentry. Maybe a subconscious fear of a third? Dunno' but unless it is more than a concussion for CD it should be time.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

Muhl_wall_buster.jpg

Reaction Score
My massage therapist uses cupping and it does indeed work. In massage, the therapist will apply pressure to sore or spasming muscles. Sometimes muscles spasm so badly that the pressure isn’t effective. Cupping uses a suction cup type appliance to pull on the muscle rather than push. A combination of the therapies is effective.

The circles on Dorka’s shoulder show where the cups were applied. The bruising means that blood flow to the area was increased, the purpose of massage and cupping
They should use lighter colored ones though

Reaction Score
My guess - it is mostly mental. Just a guess. Both were reinjured with the same injury right after rentry. Maybe a subconscious fear of a third? Dunno' but unless it is more than a concussion for CD it should be time.
You probably aren’t qualified to offer more than a guess about her fitness and health. When it’s time, she’ll let us know.

Reaction Score
It was concerning to see the one girl push Aubrey and the other pull her arm. Don’t think,it was on purpose but it could pull on your back as bad as ankles are the back is much worse. Hope she is ok
You don't think it was on purpose?!!...They were trying to foul and if you push someone, or grab their arm, that's generally on purpose..!!!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
UConn has a team of doctors, rehab folks, coaching staff that all want what's best for players going thru injury recovery. There is no way that they would put any player in harms way and have them come back early just to win games. These players are barely in their 20s and have more basketball in front of them. Mental/subconscious hesitance can also cause you to do unnatural physical things.

If they are not playing because they are not ready to play, then they shouldn't play. I get it, it's frustrating to see two incredibly skilled athletes sitting on the bench. I'd rather them come back and watch them for a few more amazing years than potentially have them do more damage in desperation to solve a short term solution.

Reaction Score
You don't think it was on purpose?!!...They were trying to foul and if you push someone, or grab their arm, that's generally on purpose..!!!
Years ago, they used to call "intentional fouls." The one on Aubrey was not wrong, but it was intentional. The intentional was only called if the player was clearly grabbed/pushed to cause a foul (a grab or push is more likely to cause harm). A smart player made it look like the foul was from normal defense. A good rule change might be an extra free throw for an intentional. If it is a two shot situation, the player would get three chances.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
They need Caroline and Azzi to play. I am sure they can play a quarter
Yes, the need is there, but where is your evidence that "they can play a quarter," or for any other time span? How can you be "sure"? Is there some medical evidence you can share?

Reaction Score
You and a few others should have stopped or warned by HuskyNann that the health of a (Uconn)player comes first, second, third and on ..... A concussion whether seen as a Dx or a set of symptomatology for which a Dx of concussion is the R/O Dx, is not something that can be resolved by playing smart. Whatever regimen CD is under was determined by the team physician-- or a physician at the Uconn Health Ctr. And I will leave the cheap armchair psycho-babble for what it is ... (A prof psy would never make such a dx ("... its mostly mental..) without the administering of a battery of tests and a personal interview).
We should respect these players and avoid talking about them as if they are objects for our pleasure rather than real people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom