UCONN - Georgetown Post-game thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN - Georgetown Post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
EricLA pretty much covered it all. We are in a grind it out mode, doing a few good things and a few bad things and hoping for a wee bit more good than bad. Unless Caroline and/Azzi get back in the lineup (and play well), this is the kind of game I expect we'll see for the rest of the season. I'm sure the mental and physical exhaustion plays a large part but there also seems to be a lack of confidence individually and as a team. Too often it looked like no one wanted to shoot the ball and opted instead to make a bad pass.

Our bench was again not a factor but Patterson did some nice work rebounding. She even put up a shot, which missed, but at least she tried.

I have no idea if cupping works or is a psychological thing, but in general it looks terrible and with a fair skinned person like Dorka looks all the worse. Whatever.

Reaction Score
Sounds like no Azzi or Caroline anytime soon with Genos post games comments. “It will be like this for the foreseeable future”.

Reaction Score
For the past 3-4 games, UConn's opposition has done well by guarding Edwards with a wall of down low defenders, creating turnovers by cutting off the lanes when Muhl and UConn slows its motion offense and hamming Lou. Since this is a consistent trend, not sure if Geno is waiting for the playoffs to implement some offensive changes. Defense every game is solid.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, Lou left in to get her 3rd foul in 1st half didn't quite come back to haunt them. Almost.

Reaction Score
Good job by the subs, gave good minutes. AE and Lou look exhausted. Every game left will be a battle and go down to the wire. No more 20 point wins this year.

I agree, the Subs (DeBerry and Patterson) did a decent job, recognizing their level of Div 1 experience.. Coaches have no choice other than play those they have available. The 7 or 8 on the bench aren't of much current use.
The Big East and others knows the issues Uconn has and plays to use Uconn's woes against them. That is SPORTS --Winning is everything, coaches don't get paid to lose.

If I had a magic wand I'd wave it and give Edwards and Lou and Nika 2 weeks on a tropical island before the next game. Dorka and Griffin get the next island available.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, Lou left in to get her 3rd foul in 1st half didn't quite come back to haunt them. Almost.
DeBerry's 3 shot is a good shot. Ok, she doesn't like the inside game NOW. So, when the 3 isn't falling--use her gift. Give her the green light when she is open on the arc. If she is missing them--pull her that's the option of the coach.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
The Good:
*UConn won.
*The bench played and contributed a bit more than in previous games.
*UConn controlled the boards against a physical team.
*DJ: was steady good. It seems she is taking much more ownership of the team on offense and defense in the last some games.
*AG: good on offense and defense and her last block was amazing! few times should have look down and move half a step back so she can actually get a 3 instead of a 2 pointer.
The Bad:
*23 turnovers...many of those led to fast breaks by Georgetown.
*The offense still getting stagnant where (maybe because they are tired) they don't move...
The Confusing:
*What happened to the hands of AE? she seems to fumble a lot of balls in the last few games.
*What happened to the shotting of Lou? is she injured?
*Will we have enough players for the next game: how will Nika's ankle feel the next few days and without her, we are toast...AG's was in pain the last minute or so after she was fouled hard and the Georgetown player after the foul, pulled her hand...
General:
*Kudus to Georgetown for a gritty game. The clearly believed they can win...The freshmen guard was really good.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sounds like no Azzi or Caroline anytime soon with Genos post games comments. “It will be like this for the foreseeable future”.
Not to be a harbinger of doom and gloom, but....................this is not your father's UConn WBB team. They struggled today with a 12-12 (5-11) BE team. It is what it is!! They don't appear to be improving. My turban is off to those who look at this UConn team and think they will make the final four because they see something I don't. Playing like this, they may not make it past game #2, especially if either of those first two teams smells blood in the water.

I'm NOT throwing shade at our girls, just sharing an observation. UConn may not win the BE tournament playing like this. They will have to beat Villanova (22-4/13-2) and Creighton (17-6/11-4) to win the BE tournament. They CAN do it, but will they? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
GENO’s Angels at the Dailey Planet!!!

SuperMühl
Count Dorkula
Captain Aaliy-ica
Loubo Cop
Flash Griffin
Azzi the Vampire Slayer
Duch Vader
The Inêsible Hulk
PattMan
Captain Amarvel
Hannibal Bueckers

… and beware, the Iceman cometh!!!
Few Thoughts:
The Good:
*UConn won.
*The bench played and contributed a bit more than in previous games.
*UConn controlled the boards against a physical team.
*DJ: was steady good. It seems she is taking much more ownership of the team on offense and defense in the last some games.
*AG: good on offense and defense and her last block was amazing! few times should have look down and move half a step back so she can actually get a 3 instead of a 2 pointer.
The Bad:
*23 turnovers...many of those led to fast breaks by Georgetown.
*The offense still getting stagnant where (maybe because they are tired) they don't move...
The Confusing:
*What happened to the hands of AE? she seems to fumble a lot of balls in the last few games.
*What happened to the shotting of Lou? is she injured?
*Will we have enough players for the next game: how will Nika's ankle feel the next few days and without her, we are toast...AG's was in pain the last minute or so after she was fouled hard and the Georgetown player after the foul, pulled her hand...
General:
*Kudus to Georgetown for a gritty game. The clearly believed they can win...The freshmen guard was really good.
It was concerning to see the one girl push Aubrey and the other pull her arm. Don’t think,it was on purpose but it could pull on your back as bad as ankles are the back is much worse. Hope she is ok

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think a special shout-out for Ayanna is warranted for her play in the first half. The box score indicates that she had 5 rebounds (2 offensive), 1 assist, and 1 block for the game as a whole, and most of that was in the first half. She took one shot, which was a good shot that she missed. This was all done in 12 minutes that she played in the game.

I completely fail to understand the poster who said that she looked "lost".

This is the first game where it seems clear that she is making real progress in contributing to the team's success.

Reaction Score
This was a tough win against a team where it shouldn’t have been this much of a struggle. Credit to GT for playing like they expected to win. The defensive effort was solid and a 2 to 1 rebounding margin is impressive. The offense, however, was all over the place. One minute there’s pretty ball movement and the next minute there’s a silly turnover. Fatigue is really disrupting their chemistry, and fatigue probably doesn’t let up until Caroline and Azzi are back and no one has to play more than 30 minutes. At the moment, the biggest challenge is scoring. Aaliyah and Lou have not shot as well the past five games as they did the first twenty, and it’s going to be difficult until they are able to return to form (which will hopefully be soon!). They are all playing their hardest and there was a heck of an effort in crashing the offensive and defensive boards, but we can’t let the other team take so many more shots than we do. And I don’t even know what to say about the officiating. How did Aaliyah get called for a foul when somebody ran into her stationary backside? It was a ridiculous call, and the calls were aggravatingly inconsistent. I’m also concerned that Aaliyah and Nika both seemed to tweak their ankles and I’m hoping there won’t be a problem for either of them going forward.

This was a tough one. Good job pulling it out.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
As opposed to smart turnovers?
1676166001131.png
1676166001131.png
smart turnovers

Reaction Score
How do they get so many more shots than we do? I know they won on turnovers, but we won by more on rebounds. I assume a lot our turnovers are also their steals, so you don't add them together. If we win rebounds by 25 and they win TO's by 10 we should have more shots. I know some of our shots were replaced by free throws we got to take, but it still does not seem to add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom