UCONN - Georgetown Post-game thread | The Boneyard

UCONN - Georgetown Post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe this is to be the norm for UCONN going forward - at least until they get some additional players. The mental and emotional exhaustion has taken its' toll and it's pretty clear for even us fans to see - not just in the scores against teams that are way closer than they should be, but in the way the team plays and "comports" itself. But as Geno told Marisa Marino after Q1, gotta play who we have, and he was frustrated at how easily Georgetown was getting to the basket while every UCONN offensive possession was a challenge. And the offense - meh.

The 2nd quarter - UCONN went on a nice run, but then more sloppy play let Georgetown make a run at the end of the half. Geno said that defensively we were decent, but offensively, they just can't get the shots they want. Well, dumping the ball into the post when they are triple teamed is not a good recipe for success. He also said they need to knock down some more 3's to open things up inside. None of the post players have any room to maneuver in the post, Dorka shot 3 bricks from beyond the arc, but 31 points in a half against one of the bottom teams in the big east who is 12-12 on the season - just painful to watch. I'm sure that the coaches and team is frustrated, but Geno looked deflated at the halftime interview.

Both Ayanna and Amari did some nice things in Q2, but it was also clear why they don't get more PT than they do. If not for Lou's 3rd foul, we'd have seen far less of the bench. 11 total TO's at the half - standard fare for UCONN this year. Meg said "They gotta find a way to limit the turnovers". Yeah, duh Meg. The question is how?

The coaches and players are well aware of the problem, but it continues. There were some terrific moments - Edwards especially, and the pair of 3's from Nika - and Aubrey's all around play (still wish she'd look for her offense more, but G-town packing it in would probably make it hard for her to get to the basket). There was also a really good stretch of defense from UCONN, especially for most of Q2.

Q3 was a different story. Sure a few sloppy things (5 more TO's for the quarter), AND as Meg pointed out NUMEROUS TIMES - UCONN kept getting deep 2 point shots with seemingly no awareness to step back a few inches and hit a 3. STILL... more solid offense by Nika, Aubrey and Dorka, and suddenly it was a a 14 point lead.

UCONN got the lead up to 16 in Q4 and I thought "ok. we will win this going away and feel good about the game". Not so fast. Georgetown played inspired full court defense, UCONN kind of feel apart all over the place, and suddenly it was a 5 point game with 1 minute to go. I can't believe I'm saying this against a now 12-13 Georgetown team, but UCONN had to strategize down the stretch, call TO's to advance the ball, and barely escape with a win. FT's were terrific and iced the game for us. And at times, the defense was really locked in. But 23 TO's really destroyed any offensive flow. Outscored in Q1 by 4 and Q4 by 6.

Total credit to Georgetown for believing they could win, and playing like it.

BTW not that it affected the outcome of the game, but the reffing not only continues to be wildly inconsistent, but also insane at times. What's the solution? No idea. But something is very wrong there.

Highlight of the game in last 20 seconds. Georgetown player thought she could be clever and in bounds the ball off Aubrey's back. Aubrey turned around and blocked her shot. WTG Aubrey and way to end of a highlight!! She's my POG for her defense as well as offense, but Dorka had a double double as well.

Post game Geno said "we shoot ourselves in the foot so much and we can't do that". He also talked about Aubrey - said she helps on offense AND defense in so many ways, but in the first half, she had no offense. "Why? We have no idea" LOL. Aubrey is too good to disappear for long stretches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dorka played well the whole game, Aubrey helped out in the 2nd half...Nika is a tough, tough competitor, without her UConn would have more problems than they can answer. If we don't get Azzi and Caroline back in the lineup by March, UConn won't even make it to the elite eight.

Reaction Score
I didn’t get to watch the game that closely, as I was with friends and had to half-watch on my phone.

When UConn hit 51 I thought they were gonna run away with the win, but …

A win is a win. I was happy to see AP playing early and playing well.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m in Idaho and didn’t see the game. Here are the stats

7B8A0F90-BC7F-4163-8574-16B55226AC7D.jpeg

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This was an important win
They learned that they could prevail without Lou's shooting

The play got less desperate in the 3rd quarter when the starters (less Lou)
realized that they can shoot too.
And drained some outside shots when the GT kids refused to guard them
(as they had been most likely coached)

In the 4th quarter, the would have been better off continuing the offensive pressure than running the clock...which allowed GT to get back in the game...

Lou got some unscheduled rest...I bet she's a demon next game.

The team is in the process of reinventing themselves, learning anew how to
cope with the starters shouldering so much responsibility, after having run out of gas.

I still think that the return of 2 of the walking wounded is the starting point for the return of typical Husky dominance.

Reaction Score
Georgetown is a scrappy team and hard to play against. Every team we play will be like a final 4 team. Our players are just on empty and can’t fuel the tank.

Creighton next then Villanova. Just yikes.

Not sure what the answer is. Turnovers continue to decimate them. Just killer. You can’t beat a team on the boards by almost a 2-1 margin and then they still get 12 more shots at the basket.

Wish they could get a breather, but not gonna happen. Gonna be a fight to win Big East. Villanova gonna be a tough out.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Another Jekyll and Hyde game, we struggle, play very well, and then end the game not scoring a FG for more than 6 minutes at the end of the game and lose a double digit lead. Granted the Hoyas had a player playing what appears to be the game of her lifetime.
But we did win when Lou had an off game.
And that offensive foul on Aaliyah has to be the most asinine call that I can remember seeing in a really, really long time.

Reaction Score
File this under, "I wonder why?"
-Edwards, who is consistently now having a wall of defenders stop her drives, doesn't either shoot the 7-foot jump shot or throw out to an open Huskie?
-Why Patterson runs down the in the middle of the court on fast breaks and stays there? We all learned how to space on fast freaks in middle school.
-Lous is missing most of her shots. Does she have an ankle or other issue? Suspect so.
-DeBerry has skills that help in some, but not all, match ups. Geno constantly is yelling at her so not surprised that she at times is hesitant. Why not just let her get in the game and take open shots?

Reaction Score
Ever since the Tennessee game, UConn has struggled with the exception of the SC game. Maybe it can be attributed to conference play, but right now, Big East teams are playing unafraid of UConn. Overall, that is probably a good thing for women's basketball, but it doesn't make the road ahead for UConn any easier.

Maybe they are worn down, dealing with undisclosed injuries, but Aaliyah and Lou seem off their games. Neither have the pep in their step earlier on. Unfortunately, I don't what the answer is for them to regain their form, but hopefully, it returns.

The major concern is the ongoing and inexplicable number of turnovers. UConn out rebounded Georgetown by a 2 - 1 margin, yet the Hoya's had more field goal attempts. The other concern is how UConn is struggling in their offensive half court sets. Early i the season, Nika had the offense running like a well-oiled machine. Lately, it looks like an early rendition of a Ford Model-T.

As the season has progressed, the games where Aaliyah and Lou are off, fortunately Dorka and Aubrey pick up the slack. As the game against SC attested, the current line-up is capable of beating anyone. Every upcoming opponent is thinking here's our chance to pick up a win like Marquette, but a wounded animal is a dangerous animal. Let's hope the team can lick their wounds and heal.

Reaction Score
Just left the game, wasn't pretty at times but at this point take the win and keep it moving. If the team can cut down on turnovers they have enough to get through the rest of the season. Who knows when Azzi or Caroline will be back. I saw folks banged up out there, I mean on one good ankle. AE in particular looked a little gimpy at times. And we all saw Nika go down. Ayanna looked pretty good so that was encouraging. Hopefully they can get some rest..... unwind and enjoy the Super Bowl tomorrow

Reaction Score
Dorka played well the whole game, Aubrey helped out in the 2nd half...Nika is a tough, tough competitor, without her UConn would have more problems than they can answer. If we don't get Azzi and Caroline back in the lineup by March, UConn won't even make it to the elite eight.
If teams can press almost the whole game or at least the 2nd half, UCONN will have trouble winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom