UConn - Georgetown post game - Big East Champions! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn - Georgetown post game - Big East Champions!

Reaction Score
First, mega congratulations to the entire team. Might be one of the most impressive Big East runs in a long time. Down to 7 with only Qadence and Ines available off the bench, UConn took it to Georgetown right out the gate. AND kudos to the refs for calling 2 quick fouls on 2 Georgetown starters. Way to set the tone of "no more of this". I think Georgetown was surprised, then shellshocked, and the magnificent first quarter completely did them in.

Credit to Georgetown - they continued to battle and played stout defense for much of the rest of the game. Hard and tough, but not overly physical. The game was never really in doubt, just the margin of victory.
  • Paige - another AA performance. Just wow. 27 points. 3 assists. 4 rebounds. 3 steals. 5 blocks. Not enough words or accolades for her.
  • Ice - welcome to the big leagues, baby! Couldn't be more happy for her. 13 points, 8 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 1 assist, and possibly most importantly, only 1 foul!! We needed her on the floor, and she was able to STAY on the floor. Just really impressive against Georgetown's senior laden front court.
  • Ash and KK - 2 tremendous freshmen who may not be perfect on the floor, but give 100% every second they are out there. And more times than not, they deliver!
  • Nika - where would we be without her? Heart and soul and blue blood! 9 assists!!!!
  • Q - looked like she belonged and a terrific sub off the bench
Defense - just wow. 11...14...10...7 - just a tremendous effort. Georgetown may not be the most gifted offensive team, but man our defense was good. Especially the help defense when they got close to the basket. It was really nice to watch.

Way to go and congratulations again - Big East Champions. This one was hard earned and very rewarding. Rest up and on to the big dance!!!
The craziest stat was that from the middle of the 3rd quarter in the semi-final to nearly five minutes into the Final, our Huskies gave up ZERO points in nearly 19 minutes of playing time. Just amazing!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We've had to grow up alot this season and we did. The emergence of Ice and Im dreamin of ICE and Aaliyah on the floor together. That will be something. Weve come a long way this season and were playin at a whole new level. We're gonna be a tuff out. 4 players in double figures tonite. Look at the stats. Theyre impressive. We are in the right place at the right time and getting better.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
BIG EAST CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a game!! UConn goes on a opening run and never looked back. Georgetown couldn't recovery. Again, a defensive juggernaut that didn't stop. Really took away Georgetown's inside game. Their guards couldn't drive down the lane as they wanted to. And UConn owned the boards. Our offense was sharp as Georgetown overplayed a lot on defense.4 of our 5 starters in double figures.

Paige doing Paige things. Just amazing what she can do and do it with such ease and class. We are fortunate to have Paige as a Huskie!!!

I can't say enough about Ice. When it was time to step up, she took a huge step and continued it tonight. She has arrived. So happy for her. Do I see twin towers for the NCAA's?

Nika with 9 assists as she climbs into second place on the all time assist list passing Diana. One or two more games and she will own the record. She has been my fav since set foot on the court. One of the best point guards ever for UConn.

KK and Ash - unbelievable year for both freshmen. Pressed into starting because of injuries, they grew up fast and showed everyone they belonged on the court.

And I will not leave out Q. She had her ups and downs over the season. But tournament time she came off the bench and delivered when needed.

Geno, CD and the entire staff are the absolute best!!!

Congratulations to Georgetown. They played with a heavy heart all season. Darrnell Haney did a great job. I sincerely hope the interm tag is removed and replaced with Head Coach.

Now it's time for 2 fingers of St. Augustine bourbon in celebration.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
2C03E9C0-1EBC-484A-97EA-47F50BA069ED.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In her postgame interview Nika walked up wiping away tears. Next up was Paige and as she spoke we saw Nika and Geno in an extended embrace and the tears were back. That's what you get with Nika, fire and rain. A great Husky.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
CD showed up late w/Bob and Debbie. Rough transcription.

CD: You can’t say enough about type of kids we have in this prgm. So proud. So resilient. Strong women who look at it and say, “They can do it.” Yesterday was an example and they just continued.

Start was amazing.

CD: We’ve been trying to get them to do it all year. (Laugh) Shows they can do it. Maybe tell them no subs.

Give Georgetown credit. They don’t stop playing. Never really in doubt the end of the game. Made their run, we handled it. They were physcial. We handled it.

It’s amazing what you can do when you don’t have a choice. Happy and proud.

Debbie: Coaching staff!

CD: (Laughs) You try and set up scouting, use the bracket, and think the higher seed is going to win. Hadn’t planned Georgetown was going to win. I scouted them before...Just saying, I didn’t get my beauty sleep.

Relax?

CD: 2 days off. Spring break is a week early. 2 days on, a day off? Maybe 3 on? After selection Sunday. Figure the days of until then.

FYI - 22 titles Big East

29th all time Conf Champs.

Reaction Score
I’m so amazed they had the best two games of the seasons without AE.

They reached a higher level of intensity. Or else maybe they just emptied the tank knowing they have a couple of weeks to recover. My hope is that Geno has done what he said back in early Dec, that his goal was the NCAA's and he wasn't going to burn out his team trying to win any regular season game. UConn has won titles with a 7 man rotation.

What's important is that now the team knows what they're capable of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom