UConn Gaming Club bringing esports revolution to Storrs, the Big East and beyond (Courant) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Gaming Club bringing esports revolution to Storrs, the Big East and beyond (Courant)

Reaction Score
People are playing games competitively and earning income. Fans of those games are watching it for entertainment. For the fans, it's no different an experience than watching the NFL or World Series of Poker, feel free to not watch if you don't like it.

People love to get offended about the word 'sport' and bemone the wussification of America. Then they go make a 6 page golf thread, except when they do I don't feel the need to get in there and on it because I'm OK with other people liking golf despite how much it sucks.
Have you ever even played golf to conclude it sucks? Or maybe you did and played so poorly that you’re bitter about it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
All sports are entertainment. All entertainment is not sport.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Although way too young for me girl in OP picture is cute.
Extra points for cosplay costume.
She has the appearance to go far in a pharmaceutical company. A Penny for my thoughts?
You have to wonder if those posters who mentioned masturbation and fornication in this thread have fantasized about girls in cosplay.

Anyone care to bet that the amount of energy BigErn expended getting worked up and tossed out at MSG burned less calories than fornication?

When I was young there were young people who criticized old farts. Although anecdotal many of those guys currently fit the bill.

Sport/shmort! If it's entertaining to you watch it. If not don't. Except if you're a fan. I don't know how many hours I've suffered through watching one of my teams lose game after game in a season and still continued watching games. Funny that there are a couple of UConn football fans calling out esports. Not sure I can qualify the games our football teams played in the past six years as participating in a sport unless you consider shooting fish in a barrel a sport. UConn men's bb fans can't do much crowing either about our recent teams.

For the record this old man supports kids playing video games and people watching esports. I watch them! And Battlebots. Battlebots is much more exciting than Nascar for me.

Reaction Score
So basically people are saying those Acme Auto sponsored video board races ( section 100-110 root for Yellow) they show during between innings at Yardgoats games are the same as the baseball games themselves. How about TheCoffee and Donuts races (hot coffee vs ice coffee vs donut) a sport? Would it change your answer if the winner got to race the winner of the Presidents race in DC and the Sausages in Milwaukee in a winner take all showdown on ESPN+?

Reaction Score
The worm will finally turn when a five star kid sees easier money by being a five star in NBA 2K25 than what it would take to be in the NBA in 2025.
Truth.

Reaction Score
Amazing athletes, Barry Sanders used to be my favorites athlete until I saw that 90 lb. 12 year old Japanese kid take down that pimple faced 14 year old Swedish kid in Fortnite.

Reaction Score
What do you mean real life? Real Humans play in the NFL and real humans play Fortnite? What's the difference?
This is some top notch trolling in this thread. Glad I clicked on it for the lolz.

Reaction Score
If people like it and get paid more power to them but it’s no more a sport than scrabble or bridge. you can make money playing those too.

people watch jeopardy and people win money - it ain’t a sport.
Thought I had seen it all on the football board and then I stumbled on this thread.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is some top notch trolling in this thread. Glad I clicked on it for the lolz.

what are you talking about sj? Are you in the stupid group of video games shouldn’t be funded by schools?

Reaction Score
Esports growing fast on CT college athletics scene (New Haven Register)

>>Central Connecticut State University is hiring a coach, whose tasks will include recruiting players, scheduling matches and tournaments, coordinating team travel, and maintaining uniforms for its newest intercollegiate team.

The team’s home field will be the new ESports Center, which opened on campus this month, and the athletes will compete in Overwatch and League of Legends, team-based multiplayer video games.

The New Britain school is putting about $300,000 into expanding esports offerings, Chief Information Officer George Claffey said, including competition in the Eastern College Athletic Conference and academic courses in fields like game design and digital storytelling. The former fitness space, now equipped with more than two dozen computers and monitors, will house classes, team practice, club meetings and be open for free play: all chances for students to find a place in the esports field, a $900 million dollar industry expected to keep growing.<<

Reaction Score
I want to be on the varsity Donkey Kong team
I am in. I challenge you to a game of Frogger afterwards. We'll hit Ted's for beer once our e-dust is settled. I hear cold pints help relieve sore thumbs.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind making millions of dollars for sitting on my butt playing a fun video game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom