UConn Gaming Club bringing esports revolution to Storrs, the Big East and beyond (Courant) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Gaming Club bringing esports revolution to Storrs, the Big East and beyond (Courant)

Reaction Score
People are playing games competitively and earning income. Fans of those games are watching it for entertainment. For the fans, it's no different an experience than watching the NFL or World Series of Poker, feel free to not watch if you don't like it.

People love to get offended about the word 'sport' and bemone the wussification of America. Then they go make a 6 page golf thread, except when they do I don't feel the need to get in there and on it because I'm OK with other people liking golf despite how much it sucks.

For the record, I hate golf.

But I always wonder why readers think message board posts are made in extreme anger.

As though commenting about the resources people are pouring into esports was done out of a state of offense.

Reaction Score
You do realize the World Series of Poker is on ESPN?

Yes, and? They also put on comedian shows like Jay Mohr, or reality TV shows like Dream Job, Pro Wrestling, Sports Trivia, etc. I hesitate to call any of that sport, even if the reality shows were competitive.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lol regular sports aren't real life either. They're both games if you haven't noticed and if you actually have an active disdain for this than i anoint you King of the Losers With Poopy in Their Pants. I feel like I'm qualified to hand out that crown.

It really just keeps me up at night, those kids subscribing to Twitch streams. Tough to get out of bed somedays...

I don't begrudge the kids playing the games and making money, more power to them. I grew up playing NES, SNES, N64, Xbox, Xbox360 and spent countless hours on the system.

That said, you're a gigantic loser if you're paying actual real life money to watch someones computer screen while they play League of Legends.

Reaction Score
So he's mad they call it a "sport" Sorry t
It really just keeps me up at night, those kids subscribing to Twitch streams. Tough to get out of bed somedays...

I don't begrudge the kids playing the games and making money, more power to them. I grew up playing NES, SNES, N64, Xbox, Xbox360 and spent countless hours on the system.

That said, you're a gigantic loser if you're paying actual real life money to watch someones computer screen while they play League of Legends.
That's a fine opinion but kids actually do it so it's smart these schools are getting involved.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So he's mad they call it a "sport" Sorry t

That's a fine opinion but kids actually do it so it's smart these schools are getting involved.

I don't care if you call it a sport, a competition, athletics, or whatever. I actually love video games, whether it was sports games, adventure, fps, etc. I don't think the kids are lame, or the games are lame at all.

And you're right, if this is the next wave, may as well get involved before falling behind.

Growing up, if you were with your buddies and you lost, having to sit there while they played was miserable. I just can't fathom how someone would want to pay for that.

Reaction Score
I guess its entertainment to some but it's not a sport.
A sport should require you to move something more than your thumbs and fingers.
Masturbating is more athletic than this stuff.

Reaction Score
I don't care if you call it a sport, a competition, athletics, or whatever. I actually love video games, whether it was sports games, adventure, fps, etc. I don't think the kids are lame, or the games are lame at all.

And you're right, if this is the next wave, may as well get involved before falling behind.

Growing up, if you were with your buddies and you lost, having to sit there while they played was miserable. I just can't fathom how someone would want to pay for that.
Yeah I get that. We aren't disagreeing. I actually stopped playing video games when i was like 21. It's a different generation and good for UConn for investing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah I get that. We aren't disagreeing. I actually stopped playing video games when i was like 21. It's a different generation and good for UConn for investing.

About the same time for me. Around 23/24. I still like to play, but just don't have the free time anymore.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I play video games. I play Fifa, I play Madden. Video games have been around for awhile. I had a Vic Commodore. I had Odyssey. I had Colecovision. I had Atari, etc.

This is a whole other level of deranged.

Put it this way, if we can't deride eSports, then you can't deride Quidditch, pen spinning, or people wearing fangs in public.
I play Fifa and some other games. I sometimes watch pro fifa players. I don’t watch eSports, doesn’t interest me, but I don’t understand the stigma from older people against it. I guess if you don’t understand it or aren’t good at it, then it’s seen as stupid.

Pen spinning and wearing fangs in public doesn’t require the incredible skill and practice of these professional gamers.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
How many answers do you need? Should I stop at 10? 100? 1000?

At least 5 and you're argument is that it's not a sport don't bother. Sport v. Game it doesn't matter. But I'd love to hear how it's different than the NFL or Nascar.

polycom

Reaction Score
One is real life, the other isn't?

What do you mean real life? Real Humans play in the NFL and real humans play Fortnite? What's the difference?

polycom

Reaction Score
I play Fifa and some other games. I sometimes watch pro fifa players. I don’t watch eSports, doesn’t interest me, but I don’t understand the stigma from older people against it. I guess if you don’t understand it or aren’t good at it, then it’s seen as stupid.

Pen spinning and wearing fangs in public doesn’t require the incredible skill and practice of these professional gamers.

These are contradictory statements.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Wait, this isn't about Dungeons & Dragons?

I have nothing to offer then.

polycom

Reaction Score
You're right. Zero difference between the NFL and Madden 2020.

Madden 2020 and the NFL aren't comparable. There is no difference between Eleague & NFL or ESL & NFL or League of Legends Championship Series.

When NBA & NFL owners own teams in Eleague you aren't tell me it's much different.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom