UConn Gaming Club bringing esports revolution to Storrs, the Big East and beyond (Courant) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn Gaming Club bringing esports revolution to Storrs, the Big East and beyond (Courant)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Madden 2020 and the NFL aren't comparable. There is no difference between Eleague & NFL or ESL & NFL or League of Legends Championship Series.

When NBA & NFL owners own teams in Eleague you aren't tell me it's much different.

At this point you're just trolling. You can't possibly believe that.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
At this point you're just trolling. You can't possibly believe that.

No, if you think that esports, egames ewhateveryouwanttocallthem aren't exactly like the NFL/NBA/MLB/etc. with a smaller following don't know what to tell you. It's not a hard concept to understand. There's a reason Turner Sports broadcasts ELeague right after the NBA.

Reaction Score
No, if you think that esports, egames ewhateveryouwanttocallthem aren't exactly like the NFL/NBA/MLB/etc. with a smaller following don't know what to tell you. It's not a hard concept to understand. There's a reason Turner Sports broadcasts ELeague right after the NBA.
Competitive cooking shows on Food network are closer to the NFL than video games.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of watching video games, but clearly there’s a market that is and if UConn is good at it than all I have to say is Go Huskies.

Not sure why so many of you are getting your underpants in a wad over this.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I don't get why my kids watch the ish they do on youtube including watching others play video games, but if they're happy and not hurting themselves or anyone else and otherwise productive, fine. I'm sure my parents thought the same of 13 year old me doing whatever I was doing (eg, playing video games, beating it like there's no tomorrow, listening to "devil" music and gangsta rap), and I like to think I turned out just fine.

To each their own... follow the interest and follow the money. Move on with the times or you'll be left behind.

But if the argument is about what makes something a sport... does it need to be athletic, involve precision, be competitive... I don't know and honestly, I don't care. Get out there and have fun doing what you like to do even if it's just watching other people play games.

Reaction Score
Madden 2020 and the NFL aren't comparable. There is no difference between Eleague & NFL or ESL & NFL or League of Legends Championship Series.

When NBA & NFL owners own teams in Eleague you aren't tell me it's much different.

A certain NFL owner own a flower nursery too. He wins rose competitions.

Reaction Score
Upstater is Aresco levels of Not Mad in this thread

I'm actually laughing my arse off at the idiocy.

Even my first comment was a joke. But some people think I'm going to commit suicide over eSports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If people like it and get paid more power to them but it’s no more a sport than scrabble or bridge. you can make money playing those too.

people watch jeopardy and people win money - it ain’t a sport.

Reaction Score
I play Fifa and some other games. I sometimes watch pro fifa players. I don’t watch eSports, doesn’t interest me, but I don’t understand the stigma from older people against it. I guess if you don’t understand it or aren’t good at it, then it’s seen as stupid.

Pen spinning and wearing fangs in public doesn’t require the incredible skill and practice of these professional gamers.

Good post. I'll give you that on wearing fangs. But look up pen spinning. You might be surprised. I only mentioned it because I heard an NPR thing on it years ago: The Art of Pen Spinning

Apparently, it's gotten much bigger: The Rich History and Complicated Future of Pen Spinning

By the way, I understand video games. I've been playing them for a very long time--I not only have nothing against them, I own them.

Reaction Score
The worm will finally turn when a five star kid sees easier money by being a five star in NBA 2K25 than what it would take to be in the NBA in 2025.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Good post. I'll give you that on wearing fangs. But look up pen spinning. You might be surprised. I only mentioned it because I heard an NPR thing on it years ago: The Art of Pen Spinning

Apparently, it's gotten much bigger: The Rich History and Complicated Future of Pen Spinning

By the way, I understand video games. I've been playing them for a very long time--I not only have nothing against them, I own them.
Some of my best friends are video games, but THEY DON'T BELONG IN COLLEGE OR ON MY TV. I DON'T EVEN CARE, BUT THEY DON'T, WHAT'S HAPPENING TO MY COUNTRY

Reaction Score
If people like it and get paid more power to them but it’s no more a sport than scrabble or bridge. you can make money playing those too.

people watch jeopardy and people win money - it ain’t a sport.

It's just easier to call it a sport because it's a team competition. And eSports sounds better than competitive video games.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So does prostitution, reprobate.

And prostitution usually implies one is in reasonably good shape. At least to make good money.

And now I'm thinking there are pron watchers who shout "In the hole!"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's just easier to call it a sport because it's a team competition. And eSports sounds better than competitive video games.

calling it esports is fine.

email isnt mail.

Reaction Score
I was watching my grandkids watch a show which was some kid playing a video game and providing commentary on it. The kid was addicted to watching someone else play. And now tournaments where people watch them play games, it’s big business worldwide. Activision and EA. So it’s not just keeping control on playing it’s controlling watching others play which pisses my daughter off even more. They severely limited his time now on this stuff. I was told by someone that it will dwarf the NFL eventually in popularity.

Reaction Score
Attaching “sports” to the name is what’s absurd. The folks that fornicate for the enjoyment of the public are more athletes than these folks.

Good for you if you can make living doing it - be it video games or fornication.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those who've never watched "Battle Bots" on Friday nights, try it and you'll never watch any video game tournaments. Greatest "sport" on TV right now.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Watching people play video games sounds like a lame Tuesday night in college. How is this a billion dollar industry?

Reaction Score
I don’t want MY tax dollars going to support some nerd playing Dankey Kang on his PlayStation 360.

Reaction Score
As a young whippersnapper myself, it’s quite funny to see old people make fun of esports.

I just laugh cause some poor bastid probably got denied money for research funding, labs, projects, etc. so students have some dope PC rigs to game on. Some of the engineering students are completely fine with that too I bet :rolleyes:
Outside the US they take education and esp. STEM seriously because know the value of an educated citizenry. In the US, universities (and increasingly lower education) are a just another business. Make up for a moronic public with immigrants.

Reaction Score
It is what it is but it isn’t sports. Actually the name says it. It is playing a game. It’s like Monopoly. If it is a sport my niece’s daughter is an all American at Chutes and ladders.

I think it’s fine that folks play these games and nice that they can play other schools. But again it isn’t sports. Kind of reminds me of my elderly neighbor when I was a kid. He played chess by mail with people all over the world! That was kind of cool but it wasn’t a sport either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom