UConn Gaming Club bringing esports revolution to Storrs, the Big East and beyond (Courant) | The Boneyard

UConn Gaming Club bringing esports revolution to Storrs, the Big East and beyond (Courant)

Reaction Score
*old man gets mad about kids playing video games*

I play video games. I play Fifa, I play Madden. Video games have been around for awhile. I had a Vic Commodore. I had Odyssey. I had Colecovision. I had Atari, etc.

This is a whole other level of deranged.

Put it this way, if we can't deride eSports, then you can't deride Quidditch, pen spinning, or people wearing fangs in public.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
"eSports" is so lame.

The fact that people actually pay money to watch people play video games is pathetic.

How is this different than the NFL or Nascar? I'll wait.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Top tier players also make salary/endorsement money.

No top tier players are getting there through University though. Only scanned the article, but this just seems like any other hobby club at school. Being competitive in these games is more than a full time job.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I had a good friends son win $400K or something like that at the Fortnite world championship a few weeks ago. Hard to make fun of them after I heard that. He’s 15.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand this more than I do cricket.

When millions are being won, and the engagement is as high as it is, it is a sport. It is exploding in popularity, especially in the Pacific Rim.

It just isn’t athletic. Which is a shame for kids who probably don’t need more incentive to sit on the couch.

Reaction Score
I understand this more than I do cricket.

When millions are being won, and the engagement is as high as it is, it is a sport. It is exploding in popularity, especially in the Pacific Rim.

It just isn’t athletic. Which is a shame for kids who probably don’t need more incentive to sit on the couch.

But does that make card playing a sport? What about slot machine playing? Bingo?

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
But does that make card playing a sport? What about slot machine playing? Bingo?
People are playing games competitively and earning income. Fans of those games are watching it for entertainment. For the fans, it's no different an experience than watching the NFL or World Series of Poker, feel free to not watch if you don't like it.

People love to get offended about the word 'sport' and bemone the wussification of America. Then they go make a 6 page golf thread, except when they do I don't feel the need to get in there and on it because I'm OK with other people liking golf despite how much it sucks.

Reaction Score
I think card playing is a sport. Look at World Series of poker. It is competitive.

When I was at Espn, this was a huge push. Reason is demographics and also it makes sense for Espn to feature things like this. Kind of does the E in ESPN.

It is huge worldwide.

Reaction Score
As a young whippersnapper myself, it’s quite funny to see old people make fun of esports.

I just laugh cause some poor bastid probably got denied money for research funding, labs, projects, etc. so students have some dope PC rigs to game on. Some of the engineering students are completely fine with that too I bet :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I dont think they should be called E-Sports cause its not a sport. But I do get why people like it, its just like anything else... You watch other people who are extremely good at something that you arnt because its entertaining.

Reaction Score
Lol regular sports aren't real life either. They're both games if you haven't noticed and if you actually have an active disdain for this than i anoint you King of the Losers With Poopy in Their Pants. I feel like I'm qualified to hand out that crown.

Reaction Score
I play video games. I play Fifa, I play Madden. Video games have been around for awhile. I had a Vic Commodore. I had Odyssey. I had Colecovision. I had Atari, etc.

This is a whole other level of deranged.

Put it this way, if we can't deride eSports, then you can't deride Quidditch, pen spinning, or people wearing fangs in public.
It makes money doofus

Reaction Score
I think card playing is a sport. Look at World Series of poker. It is competitive.

When I was at Espn, this was a huge push. Reason is demographics and also it makes sense for Espn to feature things like this. Kind of does the E in ESPN.

It is huge worldwide.

Card playing is a game. Video games are a game. They're not sports.

That said, they (apparently) are a legitimate way to make a living, have an audience, and certainly deserve to be showcased and broadcasted.

I still don't think colleges should be supporting video game programs.

At least sports like football, basketball, etc. exist in principle to support physical activity and other things that colleges should be encouraging.

Reaction Score
DA807C6D-74C1-46D1-B233-94716D6B0604.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom