UConn-FSU in Never Forget Doubleheader in NJ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn-FSU in Never Forget Doubleheader in NJ

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wasn't sure if I read it on the Boneyard or not, but didn't someone mention that Hurley wasn't interested in playing OOC games outside of New England/Mid Atlantic (aside from preseason tournaments)?

I don't disagree with the strategy to re-establish ourselves in the area, especially since that gives me 4 games I can get to easily, but this really does suck for season ticket holders.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That Ohio State team beat Kentucky by 10 a week after playing us, had an okay B1G season and were solidly in the NIT. I don't think it's fair to say they sucked when that Texas team was only marginally better. These games are often planned years in advance, can't be mad at getting a home and home with Ohio State ever.

Was that the same year? I thought the year we blew them out they were terrible, and the next year we lost a close game to them in Ohio then they beat Kentucky.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As I've said, Gampel season ticket holders should be mad about Zona being an XL game.

You mean that subset of ticket holders who have Gampel-only season tickets and actually use them? So what if 10 people get mad? The 16K+ at the XL more than mitigates that.

Reaction Score
From last year's press release:

The Never Forget Tribute Classic was founded in 2016 and partners with the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund in support of the education of children of the victims of the September 11 terrorist attacks. Established within one week of September 11, 2001, the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund provides education assistance for postsecondary study to financially needy dependents of the people killed or permanently disabled in the terrorist attacks.
And people are still dying from the effects of working the pit. Walt Greene, CT State Police, just passed.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
upload_2018-6-6_15-17-48.gif

Reaction Score
Wasn't sure if I read it on the Boneyard or not, but didn't someone mention that Hurley wasn't interested in playing OOC games outside of New England/Mid Atlantic (aside from preseason tournaments)?

I hope we're not turning down games against Arizona, Texas and Florida.

Reaction Score
Was that the same year? I thought the year we blew them out they were terrible, and the next year we lost a close game to them in Ohio then they beat Kentucky.
Texas at Gampel was 14-15, OSU was 15-16. OSU beat Kentucky in 15-16, ended up a 3 seed in the NIT. We lost to OSU at OSU in 16-17.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I hope we're not turning down games against Arizona, Texas and Florida.

We'll see how it develops. Obviously all three of those would be great gets as premier OOC home/home opponents to galvanize the Gampel or XL ticket holders.

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, that's a weird rationale to create an annual nonconference college basketball game that occurs in early November. Was there some kind of risk that Americans were actually going to forget that 9/11? happened?
I always found it funny too. Like, really? Has anyone been like "Yo dude, remember 9/11? I completely forgot about that!"

Reaction Score

I don't disagree with the strategy to re-establish ourselves in the area, especially since that gives me 4 games I can get to easily, but this really does suck for season ticket holders.
It's a good strategy. There is more than enough long distance travelling in the conference. A road trip like Arizona then Auburn is nuts, even if you are good! Who ever scheduled that was not thinking clearly.

Reaction Score
It's a good strategy. There is more than enough long distance travelling in the conference. A road trip like Arizona then Auburn is nuts, even if you are good! Who ever scheduled that was not thinking clearly.
and there are plenty of good teams in the north east and mid-Atlantic that we can do a home/home with while avoiding crazy travel schedules.

Reaction Score
and there are plenty of good teams in the north east and mid-Atlantic that we can do a home/home with while avoiding crazy travel schedules.
Yes there are. I doubt Hurley would object to the likes of Ohio State or WVU. Not exactly northeast, but not far away. But that road trip to Arizona then a couple days later at Auburn, that's some seriously bad scheduling.

Reaction Score
Honest question - is Newark nice or nah? I know literally nothing about Newark but might make the trip down from Boston and make a weekend out of it

Reaction Score
Yes there are. I doubt Hurley would object to the likes of Ohio State or WVU. Not exactly northeast, but not far away. But that road trip to Arizona then a couple days later at Auburn, that's some seriously bad scheduling.
In a podcast I heard Hurley talk about scheduling. He was basically in charge of it at Wagner and URI. He said at UConn most of that stuff is already sorted out about the Athletic Department, but with his experience creating schedules I'm sure he has a good idea of what he wants it to look like.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Multi-game road trips are good for team building.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Honest question - is Newark nice or nah? I know literally nothing about Newark but might make the trip down from Boston and make a weekend out of it
I stayed at the Holiday Inn there once and the place was surrounded by razor wire.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom