UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn Freshmen/Commits: C. Collier, Coombs, AEH, Gordon, Walker

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We don't know much about MW I guess, other than her game.
Well, she is confident and a social media maven. She appears to be a hard worker. She also seems like a good teammate who shares the ball and doesn't force shots. Meg will need to adjust from being THE star to being one of many rock stars. Lou was the #1 recruit before Meg was.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Walker's not as explosive athletically as Maya was.
I'd agree. Maya was powerful. She was also a rather good high jumper. But as CD said, Maya had slow feet. Once she got a head of steam, she had excellent straight-ahead speed. Meg looks a little quicker and seems to glide. Her body movements, like Maya's, suggest an elite athlete.

Meg is very, very good. Maya was arguably the best WCBB player ever. If Meg comes anywhere close to that, we will be beyond thrilled.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, she is confident and a social media maven. She appears to be a hard worker. She also seems like a good teammate who shares the ball and doesn't force shots. Meg will need to adjust from being THE star to being one of many rock stars. Lou was the #1 recruit before Meg was.

As Breanna's dad said, it is: "Park your ego at the door" at UConn.

Reaction Score
I share Rocky's hesitancy to make close comparisons between Maya and Megan. Megan is half-way through her senior year in high school. The Maya we remember had played four spectacular years in college. Who can compare "personalities" at different times of their development? And who even can compare skill sets when Megan is very much a work in progress? Finally, the coaching staff now is different (because they've matured) and will influence Megan differently than they influenced Maya. Our recollection of the past is imperfect and usually sentimental, our assessment of the present is often critical. Not disputing that it's fun to compare; just that it is almost inevitably unfair to the younger player. Let Megan be Megan.

Reaction Score
Walker's not as explosive athletically as Maya was.

Really? I don't know so I rely on you and others.

I thought it seems like Meg is more of a 2/3 whiel Maya was a 3/4. So I thought athletically Meg would be quicker/more guard like therefore her explosion would be more "Jordan-like" while Maya is more "Lebron-like." Am I wrong to assume that Meg is more "explosive" in terms of quickness and getting tot he basket and converting than Maya was?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Really? I don't know so I rely on you and others.

I thought it seems like Meg is more of a 2/3 whiel Maya was a 3/4. So I thought athletically Meg would be quicker/more guard like therefore her explosion would be more "Jordan-like" while Maya is more "Lebron-like." Am I wrong to assume that Meg is more "explosive" in terms of quickness and getting tot he basket and converting than Maya was?

Just from my non-professional observation, I don't think Walker has Maya's explosiveness, but then, how many ever have? Maya's one of the better female athletes I've ever seen.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
12/28

Ossining lost its first game to a NY public school in 83 games on Wednesday.

Andra Espinoza-Hunter scored 27 points in the defeat.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
12/28

Ossining lost its first game to a NY public school in 83 games on Wednesday.

Andra Espinoza-Hunter scored 27 points in the defeat.
Thank you for your reports. Where do you get so much CURRENT information? Where is it available? I would love to have access to some of the places you get your information.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thank you for your reports. Where do you get so much CURRENT information? Where is it available? I would love to have access to some of the places you get your information.

Google and Twitter searches mainly. I bookmark some of the school papers and team websites after I find them for easier access. Some players are well covered. Others, like Charli Collier, are not and are hard to find detailed info on.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Google and Twitter searches mainly. I bookmark some of the school papers and team websites after I find them for easier access. Some players are well covered. Others, like Charli Collier, are not and are hard to find detailed info on.
Thank you, Sluconn Husky.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Barbers Hill is playing in the Gulf Coast Classic over a 3-day stretch. They won yesterday (12/27) and today (12/28) but I've seen no reports on the games yet. There are a couple of comments from observers, however.

I'd say that's pretty good feedback.

Reaction Score
You forgot the more important tweet:

Charli Collier™ ‏@CharliC_14 2m2 minutes ago
Charli Collier™ Retweeted M&E Elite & NAU BBLL

Thank You
1f60a.png
!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I share Rocky's hesitancy to make close comparisons between Maya and Megan. Megan is half-way through her senior year in high school. The Maya we remember had played four spectacular years in college. Who can compare "personalities" at different times of their development? And who even can compare skill sets when Megan is very much a work in progress? Finally, the coaching staff now is different (because they've matured) and will influence Megan differently than they influenced Maya. Our recollection of the past is imperfect and usually sentimental, our assessment of the present is often critical. Not disputing that it's fun to compare; just that it is almost inevitably unfair to the younger player. Let Megan be Megan.

Bags, you nailed it!! Your reply is exactly what I was thinking. There's already more than enough built in pressure playing at UConn, aside from coming in as the #1 player in your class.

Why on earth do we need to put on added pressure by comparing her to one of the most decorated and gifted players ever to don a UConn uniform? As you suggest, let Megan be Megan. I have a feeling that if we stay in our lane, and cheer, root and support her, and her teammates, they will achieve the desired results.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Barbers Hill is playing in the Gulf Coast Classic over a 3-day stretch. They won yesterday (12/27) and today (12/28) but I've seen no reports on the games yet. There are a couple of comments from observers, however.

Still can't find specific stats, but Collier led a Barbers Hill 4th quarter comeback against Manvel to win Wednesday's game. They play the title game tonight.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Congratulations to AEH on your athletic achievement. Perseverance pays off. You and your classmates will be welcomed with open arms upon your arrival on campus this summer.
We look forward to watching your growth and development during your stay here.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Man, AEH has a nice looking stroke. How the heck is Geno going to find time for all these kids next year? In some ways, his task next year is tougher than being short handed this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Man, AEH has a nice looking stroke. How the heck is Geno going to find time for all these kids next year? In some ways, his task next year is tougher than being short handed this year.

Hopefully they have the maturity to know their situation coming in. Learn, grow, share, rise above or not. Different level, same exercise. Oh, and part of that exercise may be (knock on wood) sharing in the underscoring of the greatest run in college sports.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah, sweet stroke. Lexi too has a nice stroke and I think a little quicker release. Practices next year are going to be brutal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom