UConn Freshman no performing | The Boneyard

UConn Freshman no performing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive read many posts asking the question why are other freshman performing and looking better then UConns top Freshman class? My answer is UConns freshman are being developed. When your being developed, when your relearning the correct way to do things. Your going to get worse before you get better. The learning process in sports is one step forward and 2 steps back until it becomes reflexsive. It appears to me that the UConn freshman are being broken down and being taught the fundementals to make them better players down the road. Coming out of high school many kids are never taught the basics. They develop bad habits and those bad habits are ingrained in them and must be changed. We call that development and teaching the right fundementals and it takes time to make the change that must become reflective and be able to perform in game conditions.

At Uconn they correct the bad habits, they drill and drill and drill on the fundementals. Thats why when you look at BB Stef and KML this season you see the wow factor. UConns coaching staff just didnt say heres the ball now go out and do what you did in hs. UConns coaching staff tweaks them, breaks them down and rebuilds them and through repetition, instills the proper fundementals so they can become better players down the road. In short when they practice they are practicing the right way to do things.

How many times have we said when watching other teams gee that kid was really good as a freshman but never improved? Ive heard that alot. Well the reason is they were never developed. They were never taught the right fundementals. They were never taught the right things. Some kids get by with great talent but when it comes to becoming great at some point you run into a UConn and talent alone dosnt get it done.

If you watch the video in my thread on Courtney Ekmark you get the idea she knows what it takes to win. She mentions how weather dosnt matter which made me think of the movie Rocky when he was in Siberia working out. It didnt matter to Rocky because he wanted "IT". So does Courtney . IMO Courtney has the "It Factor" as does Saniya Chong when watching her videos. When you watch UConn this season you can see they all have the "IT Factor" They seem to thrive off each other. You see them working on becoming better defenders like Kelly and better shooters like Stef and KML. Its contagious and inspirational and competitiors want to be like them, as good as them.

The reason UConn seems to be getting better and better every season and why they continue to break their own records is because of their training. So when you look at our freshman and they are inconsistent or not looking like you think they should be performing think of how good theyre going to be next season. If you have second thoughts look at how much KML Stef Kelly and BB have improved and you will see UCOnns future blossoming.

Reaction Score
Something that set Kelly apart from most kids is that she clearly had some very high-quality coaching at a pre-college level. She arrived at UConn playing defense the right way, with her feet. Not only knowing how to do that, but knowing that's the way to play D 100% of the time. You almost never see that in a college frosh.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I get the impression Geno is reinventing Breanna Stewart's game for her long-term benefit and the long-term benefit of the team. He wants her to be more physical and play in the low post where she can use her height, rather than simply float outside and shoot threes. She has struggled at times with her inside game and is a work in progress. But when she can dominate both inside and outside, she will be one incredible player.

Reaction Score
Something that set Kelly apart from most kids is that she clearly had some very high-quality coaching at a pre-college level. She arrived at UConn playing defense the right way, with her feet. Not only knowing how to do that, but knowing that's the way to play D 100% of the time. You almost never see that in a college frosh.
I agree. Kelly is that extreme rarity who as a freshman received praise from Geno that she was doing things right. I remember being very surprised/impressed by that.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Ive read many posts asking the question why are other freshman performing and looking better then UConns top Freshman class? My answer is UConns freshman are being developed. When your being developed, when your relearning the correct way to do things. Your going to get worse before you get better. The learning process in sports is one step forward and 2 steps back until it becomes reflexsive. It appears to me that the UConn freshman are being broken down and being taught the fundementals to make them better players down the road. Coming out of high school many kids are never taught the basics. They develop bad habits and those bad habits are ingrained in them and must be changed. We call that development and teaching the right fundementals and it takes time to make the change that must become reflective and be able to perform in game conditions.

At Uconn they correct the bad habits, they drill and drill and drill on the fundementals. Thats why when you look at BB Stef and KML this season you see the wow factor. UConns coaching staff just didnt say heres the ball now go out and do what you did in hs. UConns coaching staff tweaks them, breaks them down and rebuilds them and through repetition, instills the proper fundementals so they can become better players down the road. In short when they practice they are practicing the right way to do things.

How many times have we said when watching other teams gee that kid was really good as a freshman but never improved? Ive heard that alot. Well the reason is they were never developed. They were never taught the right fundementals. They were never taught the right things. Some kids get by with great talent but when it comes to becoming great at some point you run into a UConn and talent alone dosnt get it done.

If you watch the video in my thread on Courtney Ekmark you get the idea she knows what it takes to win. She mentions how weather dosnt matter which made me think of the movie Rocky when he was in Siberia working out. It didnt matter to Rocky because he wanted "IT". So does Courtney . IMO Courtney has the "It Factor" as does Saniya Chong when watching her videos. When you watch UConn this season you can see they all have the "IT Factor" They seem to thrive off each other. You see them working on becoming better defenders like Kelly and better shooters like Stef and KML. Its contagious and inspirational and competitiors want to be like them, as good as them.

The reason UConn seems to be getting better and better every season and why they continue to break their own records is because of their training. So when you look at our freshman and they are inconsistent or not looking like you think they should be performing think of how good theyre going to be next season. If you have second thoughts look at how much KML Stef Kelly and BB have improved and you will see UCOnns future blossoming.

Tony - you missed a key point. Why do so many UConn kids wind up on the Olympic Team, or playing in the WNBA?

Answer: Because they play "the right way." WNBA coaches love getting UConn players because they come to the pro level with really sound fundamentals.

I am hugely impressed with how much KML has expanded her game over the past year. Most coaches would have let her be a super 3 point shooter, and not pushed her to do all the things she is now mastering. I expect we will soon be seeing her in an Olympic Uniform, and a regular in the WNBA all-star game.

I agree with you regarding Stewie. Over the next 2 years, she will become a major force in college basketball.

One more UConn freshman that is getting really good is Moriah. She is very smart, loves the game, is a quick learner, and has very high goals. If she had gone to Tennessee, she would be playing like Simmons. Like Stewie, over the next two years, Mo Jeff will become a really good point guard.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Mygawd, Tony, I read that caption and thought I was about to read your first negative post ever. My heart nearly attacked me! Please be more careful in the future.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Heather does not have a go-to personality, and you have to have that to be a good big. Look at the difference in Stef, for example. When Heather gets the ball, she usually just passes it out, even if she has a great shot. I bet she is a sweetheart of a person; I've always liked her very much. Remember how hard our Tina struggled with this. Geno said it more than once. So you can teach fundamentals, but you also have the personal factor to consider, and that's a part of it, a big part. But what do I know? Notheeng...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think this will take a "Rock Paper Scissors Spock" effort. I'm just not sure what Spock beats.
3e8f0915-6799-36d3-a01d-28cbad57c471

Reaction Score
well said post Tony......sometimes what is to be will only be when that time arrives.the time will arrive for all three frosh,for sure!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the Heather Buck story is complete. She certainly was a dominant player in HS at both ends of the floor.

Can a case be made that her play and confidence was negatively effected by the style and substance of the coaching she received or perhaps the style of play? Mystery to me.

Here's Scout's finally report on her. Doesn't exactly sound like her now.

Moves with surprising fluidity and agility for her size. Has greatly improved strength and finishing ability during past year. Good at reading double teams - can find open teammates or attack with authority. An on-floor leader, vocal and confident with her teammates. With her length, can cover a lot of ground defensively. Has long arms that she keeps up at all times, denying opponents the rebound

BTW...She was recruited by Stanford and Notre Dame among others.

Reaction Score
Makes me so sad to read Scout's report. Wish things had worked out for Heather.

Reaction Score
Geno can't win them all. There are a few that would be better off under a different style of coaching, like Heather, Charde Houston, Samarie Walker, etc...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Heather has had a great five years here, will come out of it with a raft of friends and a valuable and hard-earned nursing degree. If she feels any regrets or bitterness, she certainly does not show it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno can't win them all. There are a few that would be better off under a different style of coaching, like Heather, Charde Houston, Samarie Walker, etc...
Samarie's leaving had zero to do with coaching, coaching style, issues with teammates, or anything like that. It was for personal reasons that had zero to do with hoops... Having said that, I do agree with Charde, and apparently Heather was never able to get it either. Not sure Heather would heave done any better at Stanford or ND, but we will never know... But by all accounts, she had a great time at UCONN, got a degree, and has been a wonderful teammate.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the Heather Buck story is complete. She certainly was a dominant player in HS at both ends of the floor.

Can a case be made that her play and confidence was negatively effected by the style and substance of the coaching she received or perhaps the style of play? Mystery to me.

Here's Scout's finally report on her. Doesn't exactly sound like her now.

Moves with surprising fluidity and agility for her size. Has greatly improved strength and finishing ability during past year. Good at reading double teams - can find open teammates or attack with authority. An on-floor leader, vocal and confident with her teammates. With her length, can cover a lot of ground defensively. Has long arms that she keeps up at all times, denying opponents the rebound

BTW...She was recruited by Stanford and Notre Dame among others.

Heather just doesn't have a "killer instinct."

I have a brother, Charley, (7 years younger) who was a good water skier and a very good hockey player. He played for Ned Harkness at Cornell in the mid-60's when Ken Dryden was the goalie there. Charley is a gentle soul who really doesn't care whether he wins or loses. He just enjoys the game.

He was an efficient defense-man. But he never had the drive to play center or wing and be a scorer. Heather has a similar personality. She will be a great nurse -- kind and sensitive and thoughtful and caring and friendly.

In high school, Heather had the size and strength to be a dominant player and a good scorer. But, for the competitive world of UConn basketball, she just has never been suited for the highly confrontational nature required of post players.

I don't think any other coach in women's basketball would have gotten any more "production" from Heather than Geno has. It took Geno 2-3 years to get Tina to be "a beast" when the game clock was running. I don't think he could get Heather to do that in ten years, much less in four or five. She is just too nice.

As fans, we just have to respect her, and to admire the wonderful person she is. Some things in life are more important than points scored per game.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say too, OC.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't get why this thread turned into another critique of Heather. We have read about this for 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom