UCONN Football subject of article this morning in NY Post sports section | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN Football subject of article this morning in NY Post sports section

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Third article about the trio, NYC and UConn recruiting: http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2013/25/blockshotsuconn_2013_06_21_q.html

(ignore the typo in the third to last paragraph :oops:)

After reading that article I see three future Husky's with unlimited potential.

I also see one young man who has no idea he's probably about to get a Freshman locker room haircut.

yu.png

Reaction Score
It didn't take Md long to realize what they had in RE and it wasn't good!Md 's players were along with there fan's just short of mutinous and droves of players were fleeing including their all ACC QB Danny O'Brien and starting LT Dill who transferred to RU and is now in Jacksonville with the Jaguars!! They had (the AD) to take the extraordinary measure of rehiring someone who was on their blacklist Mike Locksley failed HC at NM but super recruiter in the Balt/DC area to stem the flow and bring in recruits that RE couldn't! Buyers remorse? Too say the least!Maybe we were lucky to be rid of him but that was the time to send a bolt of electricity into the program's vein's with a high energy promising young hire...I for one wondered who it would be knowing how shrewd the UConn brass usually is in these situations as the MBB and WBB hires attest too! Well when they announced your next hire I was dumbfounded!Now I won't say he wasn't safe and solid..even a great character guy and better recruiter (earlier in his career)!! But young and exciting?I really and who don't like regular guy PP? And now with the musical chair's of CR we find ourselves in this delicate situatution from which we must untangle ourselves!It's gonna take finesse (or winning) to work our way through this! Some will see the truth in this and many will reject it out of blindness! It is what it is! Simply put we need energy!

Reaction Score
I'm not saying you are wrong, but that's the line of BS that we've been fed. The 2011 class redshirted their first year and were back-ups last year. They haven't, as a class, made a meaningful contribution.

@Husky,if the incoming recruits are good enough they can save the RS for later in their career for injuries or other reasons!That's why I say why expect too much out of some one who wasn't good enough to force their way in as a true Frosh!Usually OL and DL need the RS for weight and strength gain's but WR/DB and RB rely more on plain athleticism!

Reaction Score
The P can do nothing right crowd won't like this because it doesn't fit squarely into their agenda box.

P has significantly improved recruiting, he needs to produce on the field this year or he is gone, but he has already proven himself as a recruiter.

Huh? How has he significantly improved recruiting? The UCONN players from this past year were Edsall recruits. Yawin Smallwood, All American candidate, was an Edsall recruit.

I am not saying Coach P's recruiting is poor, or that his recruits won't end up performing better than FHCRE, but I don't think it is accurate to say he has significantly improved recruiting at this point.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
@Husky,if the incoming recruits are good enough they can save the RS for later in their career for injuries or other reasons!That's why I say why expect too much out of some one who wasn't good enough to force their way in as a true Frosh!Usually OL and DL need the RS for weight and strength gain's but WR/DB and RB rely more on plain athleticism!
Where was UConn Deficient? Offensive line. While Coach Pasqualoni tries to recruit bigger, many in the 2011, 2012 class did indeed redshirt or did not get onto the field at their normal offensive/defensive position (I.e. Joe Williams and Bobby Puyol. Puyol burned his redshirt vs. Cinci, but is expected to RS this year.).

Reaction Score
Where was UConn Deficient? Offensive line. While Coach Pasqualoni tries to recruit bigger, many in the 2011, 2012 class did indeed redshirt or did not get onto the field at their normal offensive/defensive position (I.e. Joe Williams and Bobby Puyol. Puyol burned his redshirt vs. Cinci, but is expected to RS this year.).

I'll keep a sharp eye on the OL this season because I didn't see any deficiency on defense (outside speed+deep pass) because all strong team's usually start on the lines!

Reaction Score
Huh? How has he significantly improved recruiting? The UCONN players from this past year were Edsall recruits. Yawin Smallwood, All American candidate, was an Edsall recruit.

I am not saying Coach P's recruiting is poor, or that his recruits won't end up performing better than FHCRE, but I don't think it is accurate to say he has significantly improved recruiting at this point.

We don't have enough information at this point, but we did win some recruiting battles in the last year against programs I don't recall ever really competing with before, for what it's worth (which, I admit, is not much until the kids get on the field).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Star-wise, hype-wise, I'd say recruiting is slightly better but that could be an echo from the 10-11 season. We haven't seen the echo from the AAC yet.

(Outside of QB, I give P that one) In the end, it isn't so much better that it matters one bit. Did we not spend thousands of posts making the case against the star system that Edsall found tough hardworking guys that flew under the radar and coached them up to far better results on the field that some of the star darlings? Wins matter, right now P doesn't have enough of them. Win 8 this year and that brings his average all the way up to 6.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Star-wise, hype-wise, I'd say recruiting is slightly better but that could be an echo from the 10-11 season. We haven't seen the echo from the AAC yet.

(Outside of QB, I give P that one) In the end, it isn't so much better that it matters one bit. Did we not spend thousands of posts making the case against the star system that Edsall found tough hardworking guys that flew under the radar and coached them up to far better results on the field that some of the star darlings? Wins matter, right now P doesn't have enough of them. Win 8 this year and that brings his average all the way up to 6.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Bingo. The Pasqualonistas are bedazzled with the recruiting.
He inherited a bowl caliber team and has proceeded to run it into the ground.

The man is a poor game coach, plain and simple

pj

Reaction Score
This year's recruiting is disappointing. Overall I would no longer say that P's recruiting is better than Edsall's, except at quarterback, but that is an important position. We do have enough players on the roster that with good coaching we should be able to perform well for 3 years, if the coaching is good. Hopefully TJ Weist fixes what was a failed approach to coaching the offense. Game day decisions like timeouts can be delegated to coordinators too if the OC is not spending the game upstairs in a booth. Our next head coaching hire will be crucial. So will upgrading the athletic department marketing, as HuskyfanDan points out. We need fan excitement even if playing in the AAC or playing mediocre opponents. They have to build the athletic program and the research capabilities simultaneously.

Reaction Score
This year's recruiting is disappointing. Overall I would no longer say that P's recruiting is better than Edsall's, except at quarterback, but that is an important position. We do have enough players on the roster that with good coaching we should be able to perform well for 3 years, if the coaching is good. Hopefully TJ Weist fixes what was a failed approach to coaching the offense. Game day decisions like timeouts can be delegated to coordinators too if the OC is not spending the game upstairs in a booth. Our next head coaching hire will be crucial. So will upgrading the athletic department marketing, as HuskyfanDan points out. We need fan excitement even if playing in the AAC or playing mediocre opponents. They have to build the athletic program and the research capabilities simultaneously.
WHICH PART OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS DO YOU FEEL IS A DISAPPOINTMENT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom